Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for new 147's

gixxerjunky

I've tried another coated 147 and I had to load it way too short for my CZ's. Like 1.070" and I was still only .010" off the lands.

That's the OAL I have to load BBI's to. There's nothing bad about loading that short is there?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried another coated 147 and I had to load it way too short for my CZ's. Like 1.070" and I was still only .010" off the lands.

That's the OAL I have to load BBI's to. There's nothing bad about loading that short is there?

Depends.

The case wall in 9mm starts to thicken up about halfway down the case. I was getting a bulge where the case walls thickened and it also mangled the base of the bullet. I was getting horrible accuracy.

I'd say as long as they feed fine and you are getting acceptable accuracy, there's nothing wrong with it.

Was running BBI 147 but had random case gage rejections and plunk-test failures. Now shooting the Acme 147 NLG-FP. Don't know why, but my 1050 runs smoother with it and I have had zero case gage rejections in about 6000 rounds. Loading 1.09 OAL with 3.1 gr of VVN320 and it makes 129 PF in my CZ Shadow.

Was running BBI 147 but had random case gage rejections and plunk-test failures. Now shooting the Acme 147 NLG-FP. Don't know why, but my 1050 runs smoother with it and I have had zero case gage rejections in about 6000 rounds. Loading 1.09 OAL with 3.1 gr of VVN320 and it makes 129 PF in my CZ Shadow.

The BBI 147 is .025" longer than the Acme bullet. Some brass gets thick closer to the neck. (CBC and Aguila are 2 common ones). The shorter bullet expands the case a little less.

I got my Acme's today. So far so good. Max oal is 1.145" in my primary Shadow and 1.130" in my backup. Plenty of room to work with.

Coating looks smooth and uniform although my hornady competition seating die takes some of the coating off the flat point edges while seating. Also noticed some coating getting scraped off from bullets rattling around in shipping.

Loaded up 100 at 1.120" to test in primary. Going to chrono and check accuracy.

My problem is when I order I like to order a case or so before I try them. I don't like paying for shipping multiple times. I'm just afraid that I'll buy and they won't work. Mainly worried about my CZ's since they have such a short chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can load these out to 1.16" and "plunk and spin" in my CZ SP01 and P07. Don't know why anyone would want to load them that long though. 1.13 - 1.14 works great. Very accurate and clean over WSF.

http://www.snscasting.com/new-9mm-147-grain-flat-point-coated-1000ct/

image_zpsnaxm8w4z.jpeg

S&S. Has new red coating . A little less smoke in my opinion.

Is it new, or just a new color of hi-tek for them?

I've used a ton of S&S and found that in general their coating job is a little thicker and more consistent then some of the other vendors selling hi-tek coated bullets. Same for Leatherhead, but I sort of thought Leatherhead was marginally better. Then again Leatherhead uses the red too.

I have loaded and ran the Acme bullets and they have ran great. I just orderd another 5k (3k/124, 2k/147), some for an upcoming level 2 match and some for for others that have tried them previously.

The weights are some of the most consistent bulk projectiles I have found/used. Very good value in 9mm, (not as much in .40 (for me). Consistent single digit sd with the right powder.

The profiles are great also, 124g can be ran to 1.15 in my SP01, I run them at 1.125 for insurance, same with the 147's.

That said, I have not tried SNS or Ibjheads.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

The profiles are great also, 124g can be ran to 1.15 in my SP01, I run them at 1.125 for insurance, same with the 147's.

Good luck!

Correction, the 124 profiles have changed, need to run 1.118 now with the Acme 124's in the SP-01 :blush:

post-54673-0-75079600-1464293856_thumb.j

post-54673-0-14728100-1464293880_thumb.j

post-54673-0-89083800-1464293966_thumb.j

Edited by Hallz

SNS 147 coated round nose seem to be good stuff 3k bullets down this year but the delivered a large order to a local match for a friend. 150k+ so it was cost effective to pickup some of his stash

SNS FP 147gr bullets look good but they only make them in .357. I can use the .357 in my pistol if they load long enough. For my revolver and carbine, I like .358 bullets. The cylinder in the revolver is .358 and the carbine has a .357 bore. With a .358 bullet I can size them to .356 or .357 with my resizing dies. With plain lead bullets, the suggested size often recommended is .001 or .002 over bore size. Does the same hold true for coated bullets?

Edited by Wheeljack

I haven't tried coated bullets yet; what is the advantage? is it primarly cost?

Can you run them thru a Poly barrel? Say like a stock 3 Tanfo

Cost, easier to clean, longer barrel life and increased velocity compared to jacketed. Yes, they can be shot in barrels that normally shy away from lead.

Did the ACME thing. Didn't care for the packaging and there were a number of bullets that had a rough finish. They shot just fine and the price was good but I think I'll be going back to Bayou for my 147gr needs. The lipstick red was my driving force behind trying them. I can live with gator snot green.

At $98 per 1000 (when purchasing 2k minimum), PDs 147gr JHP is a great deal as well and my choice for sanctioned matches.

Edited by v1911

At $98 per 1000 (when purchasing 2k minimum), PDs 147gr JHP is a great deal as well and my choice for sanctioned matches.

Do you have a link for these? I can only find their 124gr.

Do you have a link for these? I can only find their 124gr.

Sorry, I musta been drunk again when I posted that. The 147gr JHP I have are Zero. And they're $109 a thousand. My bad.