Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Provisional USPSA rules suggest that "Binary Triggers" would be prohibited... refer to rules 5.1.11 and 10.2.13. Rule 4.2 of the IMA Rules (SMM3G) states that weapons that allow more than 1 round fired with each "pull" of the trigger will be penalized 30 seconds per occurrence. Probably not a good idea to use one if you intend to win a match...

1. 4.2 Firearms capable of fully automatic- or burst-fire (“machine guns”) may be used only in semi-auto mode (i.e. not more than one (1) round fired with each pull of the trigger). Violation of this rule will incur a 30 second time penalty per occurrence.

The Provisional USPSA rules suggest that "Binary Triggers" would be prohibited... refer to rules 5.1.11 and 10.2.13. Rule 4.2 of the IMA Rules (SMM3G) states that weapons that allow more than 1 round fired with each "pull" of the trigger will be penalized 30 seconds per occurrence. Probably not a good idea to use one if you intend to win a match...

1. 4.2 Firearms capable of fully automatic- or burst-fire (“machine guns”) may be used only in semi-auto mode (i.e. not more than one (1) round fired with each pull of the trigger). Violation of this rule will incur a 30 second time penalty per occurrence.

If it shot more than one round per pull, it would be considered a machine gun and subject to NFA rules. Since it only fires one round per pull, it should be legal. It fires the second round when the trigger is released.

• 4.2 Firearms capable of fully automatic- or burst-fire (“machine guns”) may be used only in semi-auto mode (i.e. not more than one (1) round fired with each pull of the trigger). Violation of this rule will incur a 30 second time penalty per occurrence.

If it shot more than one round per pull, it would be considered a machine gun and subject to NFA rules. Since it only fires one round per pull, it should be legal. It fires the second round when the trigger is released.

Which is the same trigger pull..? You can't just pull a trigger and then hold it back indefintely, eventually you will have to discharge that round. So, more than one round per trigger actuation (see, I didn't use pull that time)

But the rule you quoted did say pull, not actuation. While I think it would be unsafe and useless on a compitition gun, I'm guessing he could get away with it.

OP you may want to ask the match director for whatever match you plan on using it at.

Edited by usmc1094

I am still researching this whole thing, 1. The safety of the device is the first factor and from what I have read the second shot can be negated by simply turning the selector off the third position resetting the trigger back to semi only. 2. The legality with the ATF, The ATF has provided a letter saying its legal. 3. Is it allowed in competition? The desire is for a faster double tap.

This video shows the negation of the second round.

The desire is of course for a faster double tap BUT not at the cost of safety or running afowl of the rules

IPSC GUY

Just a heads up, you won't get a faster double tap...

I ordered one of those triggers, waited 8 weeks to get it, and was ultimately disappointed. Its a way way overpriced novelty.

Also these aren't drop in units. Mine didn't fit in any of the dang lowers I had on hand, and they want money for you to ship it and install. If you plan on ordering one, order it pre installed in their lower just to save some headache.

On the positive side I'm really glad to see these being produced, and hope for a refined drop in product by a competitor to hit the market.

I ordered one of those triggers, waited 8 weeks to get it, and was ultimately disappointed. Its a way way overpriced novelty.

Also these aren't drop in units. Mine didn't fit in any of the dang lowers I had on hand, and they want money for you to ship it and install. If you plan on ordering one, order it pre installed in their lower just to save some headache.

On the positive side I'm really glad to see these being produced, and hope for a refined drop in product by a competitor to hit the market.

Do they have to hog out the lower? Like happy-switch hog out?

Ok interesting! So your experience was not a faster double tap? Also was your second shot wildly off from your first as well? As in did the shot occur as the recoil was upsetting sight picture and alignment? I think another company is working on a drop in version as well.

IPSC GUY

Edited by IPSC GUY

Do they have to hog out the lower? Like happy-switch hog out?

I don't believe they have to hog anything out, I think they have to insert shims to get the disconnector height correct, "I THINK" is the issue but that's just a supposition on my part.

IPSC GUY

and not super fast. My timny trigger dialed down, heavy bull barrel, and JP comp would let me shoot as fast or faster than that, without the shady might technically be a machine gun edge. practice and good gear, not gimmicks.

that said, I shot a USPSA stage with a GLock 18 and 33 round mags. each target got about 6 shots, and it was AMAZINGLY easy to control and make good shots. so full auto does have some competition uses.

IS IT LEGAL? I would say that under IMA rules there is enough in rule 4.2 (described above) that the RM could have a basis to declare it to be in violation (i.e. every time you PULL the trigger, you get two shots) and thus subject to the +30 second penalty per occurrence. Even if you arbitrated the ruling and won, outlaw matches have the freedom to change rules more frequently than USPSA (no pesky bylaws), so your expensive binary trigger would likely be banned the following season.

IS IT A GOOD IDEA? I would say emphatically NO. While it may be marginally faster on close-range targets as shown in the videos above, more often than not you are also working with longer distances, partial targets, no-shoots etc. If you have to keep switching the selector between "single" and "binary" modes, you would for sure lose far more time than you ever gain with any minor reduction in split time. As others have indicated, a good single-stage match trigger will be just about as fast without any of the associated drama.

A binary trigger is a great way of separating mall ninjas from their money though... pure marketing genius :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

We really don't have malls where I live, but we have Nijas out the wazoo! Maybe we can agree on key board Ninjas, or YouTube Ninjas, or ........ Wait....... Craining neck Ninjas! :lol:

Good read Stealthy!!!!!

We really don't have malls where I live, but we have Nijas out the wazoo! Maybe we can agree on key board Ninjas, or YouTube Ninjas, or ........ Wait....... Craining neck Ninjas! :lol:

Good read Stealthy!!!!!

You have malls near by.......you've probably already bought 3 of these triggers, Master Crane Neck

Are triggers that fire once on the Trigger Pull and Once on the release like the Franklin Armory Binary Triggers allowed in USPSA competition?

IPSC GUY

Not an answer to your question but I think these things are dangerous.

Pat

About 4 years ago I shot a few stages at a match with one - well not exactly a "Binary" just my worn out one.

Took me about 3 shots to figure out what was going on, finished that stage and the final one of the day, went home and changed before the final day.

Close targets were OK, long range was not good. Too much thinking.

Are triggers that fire once on the Trigger Pull and Once on the release like the Franklin Armory Binary Triggers allowed in USPSA competition?

IPSC GUY

Not an answer to your question but I think these things are dangerous.

Pat

I concur. I've seen more than a few newer shooters take a shot then start talking or moving around before they let off the trigger. Its unlikely that such people will ever use this trigger but it still seems questionable. A buddy of mine whose new to guns just built a rifle and the cheap mil spec trigger was firing on reset. He was confused and flustered enough that his muzzle awareness got a little sketchy. I thought it was kind of fun for a couple minutes but it wore off quick. Edited by TonytheTiger