Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun for USPSA?

Mhall

I did some searching and couldn't find a topic addressing this. So here goes.

What are you using for USPSA Rev? Looking at a 625, but can see the benefit to the 2 extra rounds from a minor gun.

Let me know what you use and why you think it's a good choice, or do you wish you made the other choice.

I have heard the "major for nationals" thing in the past as well. Probably similar to SS nats.

Quite honestly, this gun wouldn't be an every day shooter. I am a limited shooter so going from 22 in the gun to 6 or 8 would slow the game a little too much for my liking. So I'd say it would be for Nationals or classifier matches...mostly. I did shoot a classifier match recently and the revo was quite fun for that.

The 625 is just about done. The only place left for it is classifiers.

...and possibly nationals. I'm considering it this year, I'll have a better idea after I shoot Single Stack nats.

I finish about 3% better with a minor Revo in our local matches, most matches it doesn't matter because there's no one that close to me.

The stages at nationals look to be as 6 shot neutral as any ICORE match I've ever shot, we'll see what it looks like on the ground.

The nationals stages are extremely 6 shot neutral.

I believe a 6 major actually has a serious chance of being competitive, but I bet the top 5 will be shooting minor.

The nationals stages are extremely 6 shot neutral.

I believe a 6 major actually has a serious chance of being competitive, but I bet the top 5 will be shooting minor.

I agree, but I think minor is "safer". There's a number of short stages where major is at an advantage, but the field stages are worth more points. I think it's going to come down to what each shooter is more comfortable with.

To keep a little more on topic, major/minor is pretty stage dependent. It's similar to single stack in this regard, but 8-minor is a safer bet.

To me it looks like a major caliber would be very competitive at the Revolver Nationals this year (if the shooter is equal to the task, that is). Go to the website and check out the stages for the match. Notice how many target presentations are partials (limited by hardcover or no-shoots)? Playing it safe will get you more points with major than minor. It should be an interesting match regardless.

IMHO: A lot of people will give shooting major at a competitive revolver match lip service but no one with a brain wishing to achieve their best result will do so. Just saying. Major is essentially dead in revolver division. Your 625 was obsoleted a couple of years ago.

So then, which minor gun 627 or 929? I'd think loading the gun with a shorter cartridge like 9 would be easier.

Also isn't the barrel longer on the 929? Advantage or disadvantage?

So then, which minor gun 627 or 929? I'd think loading the gun with a shorter cartridge like 9 would be easier.

Also isn't the barrel longer on the 929? Advantage or disadvantage?

Most people shooting 627s chop/buy short colt or long colt, which is much shorter than standard 38 special.

There both about the same cost if your starting from scratch and depending on what routes you go for supporting gear and ammo.

Both guns will probably need a little work to get them to be acceptable depending on your personal preferences.

I have a 627 and like that I can hunt with it in 357 and would buy another over a 929. That's just personal preference though.

I guess the long and short of it is, it doesn't matter unless you care about the caliber.

Edited by 314shane

929 would be my first choice and then a 627.

Either is gonna need some TLC to get it right.

Most everyone already has a 9 in the safe so there won't be a investment in brass to deal with and possibly a set of dies/all the other reloading stuff for a new caliber.

627 as you can shoot 38 short colt(9mm loads) 38 long colt, 38 special and 357 magnum. A revolver that is versatile can be used for USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, hunting and carry gun. If they ever make it so the 8 ahots can shoot major in USPSA the 627 will be able to do it and the 929 will not. Also it is not brass specific. With the 929 you can shoot 9mm and use it in the above sports but I would never take it hunting.?

Edited by revoman

My shooting pard's 627 shoots .38 white box lights out.. my 929

is all over the place, tried 4 diff bullets and 3 diff pwdrs. It wnt

down the road. sure there is some good load for it but i got

tired of chasing it. all my shooting is local fun stuff. Get a used

929 that you know shoots good would be the tkt.