Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1x optic for 3 gun

PHX

I currently compete in tac division. I am thinking of giving limited a try. What optic do you use and how do you like it? So far I'm between the Burris ar1x or vortex Spitfire.

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input. How do you guys like the optic for shooting from 200 - 400 yards with it? I like the reticle the Burris has. Looks like it could be useful for holdover. I am a huge fan of vortex though.

If you're shooting at 200-400 yards any dot bigger than 1 moa is a problem, it covers the target. Just switched from an EOTech to the JP JPoint with the 1 moa dot and 65 minute circle. Still not sure. I hit 265 yd Larues at SMM3G, missed the 220 yard targets from the bench (stage (?). Have to check to make sure the sight didn't move, if not, I know for sure it was me (most likely). Only problem with the JPoint is getting it adjusted. Still has the pistol sight system - 1/4" at 20 yds. Just takes a tiny bit to move a lot at 300. Be patient and go slow and you can get it.

The only optic I know of that will give you a reference for hold overs is either the burris ar-1x or an eotech xps 2-2 and 2-3. The circle dots have the circle as a reference but most of the time those holds end up being around 500 yrds.

Edited by bwikel

I've been using a Vortex Spitfire for the past 2 years, the center is 3 MOA, so with that being said I zero it at 300 yards. The theory is if all targets are equal (4 MOA) All I would need to do is Eclipse the target to get hits at 300, At 400 I stack the dot on top of the target. at 500 and 600 yards its more of a guessing game, At 100 I hold at base of the target 200 yards hold Mid on target.

I'll might upgrade to the AR Spitfire vortex that just came out with for no other fact that I can get them at cost. But I might hold out and see what the new Burris reticle looks like.

I've been using a Vortex Spitfire for the past 2 years, the center is 3 MOA, so with that being said I zero it at 300 yards. The theory is if all targets are equal (4 MOA) All I would need to do is Eclipse the target to get hits at 300, At 400 I stack the dot on top of the target. at 500 and 600 yards its more of a guessing game, At 100 I hold at base of the target 200 yards hold Mid on target.

I'll might upgrade to the AR Spitfire vortex that just came out with for no other fact that I can get them at cost. But I might hold out and see what the new Burris reticle looks like.

The farthest I could zero my spitfire is 200 yrds, how high is the point of impact at 200 yrds when zeroed at 300yrds?

That will depend on your load honestly. But if you can only zero to 200 yards and want a 300 yard zero. At my altitude, My POI at 200 yards would 2.5 MOA (5 inches) Higher then my POA. But that just how it works out with my rifle, and bullet loads. If 200 is all you have, zero at 200.

Damnit Kurt beat me to it because I was looking for a calc app on my phone!

Edited by DocMedic

The only optic I know of that will give you a reference for hold overs is either the burris ar-1x or an eotech xps 2-2 and 2-3. The circle dots have the circle as a reference but most of the time those holds end up being around 500 yrds.

Wasn't a gen 2 Burris ar-1x supposed to be coming out? Whatever happened to that? I kind of want one

I have been running an Aimpoint ML3 with 2MOA dot since changing over from irons when optics became Limited-legal ~2010. I have tried all kinds of other optics, including the Spitfire, but keep coming back to my trusty old Aimpoint. The problem with the etched reticle optics I have looked at is that the dot is never bright enough in the AZ sunshine. The Spitfire tries to compensate by adding that big fat ring, but it is far too big and fat for my liking... I ran it in just one STAGE before deciding to sell it and cut my losses.

I really want to like something else, because my astigmatism causes the Aimpoint dot to flare in lower light, but so far nothing better has come along.