Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimal IPSC power factor for production division

MupaY

Hello,

I will start my new season of IPSC. I am a newbie on reloading. I shot in minor production.

I would like some informations on reloading. My goal is to be a minimum factor not more. Because like this, there will be less recoil, best gun control, faster return to target, so less time which is important for ipsc. (my wife shoot with me, and less recoil is better for her too)

Im scared to load my cartridges for 125 PF.
1) because if there is a difference between my chrono record and the one on the competition, I may not pass and not being classed.
2) I was told that according to weather conditions, atmospheric pressure from one place to another, that can change the power factor? is it true ? how many this can change the power factor?

In the end, I'd really like to know the smallest value of factor that I can take, without taking the risk of not passing the chrono on a competition.

Finally, last question, the power factor influences really much the accuracy ? The research for the reduced recoil with light load will not going to influence so much on accuracy ? I heard that for the 9mm 124gr best power factor was 133, someone would already heard that and have some sources to prove it?

sorry for my bad english, I try to do my best.

Thank you for your reply.

PS if needed : i shoot with cz75 sp01 shadow.

bullet : 124gr LOS

powder : n320

primer : sellier & bellot

brass : wincester / magtech

If you go with a 135 power factor, and N320, you will have no troubles with temperatures or atmospheric pressures. If I were you, I would try to find heavier bullets (147 grain). This will feel like a lighter recoil than the 124's and it will take less powder to make the desired power factor. FWIW, I load 147 lead FP at 1.150 with 3.5 grains of N320 and get a PF of 135 in my Shadow.

i really want to try 147gr, because a lot of user said like you. The feeling seem to be very different ! But at my last order, the difference with 124grand 147gr was more than 150$ if i remember for the total of bullets i take (for me and my wife). This season i cant, maybe the next season :)

135PF is where we are right now. It looks like i could not down my powder and have less recoil :(

Thank you for your advice ;)

@grumpyone here, i can have it for :

- 1200$ for 20k : 123gr (not 124gr sorry)

- 1350$ for 20k : 145gr

So it's very good when i see "maybe $20 per 1k". The 150$ It's only because i buyed 20k ^^

@L3324 : thank you too ! if you never have problem with chrono in competition maybe i will decrease to 132-133 ;)

Bullets are the most expensive of the consumable components, then brass (once fired), then primers leaving powder as the least expensive. At 3.5 grains you get 16,000 rounds from an 8 lb jug.

my advice is to load to at least 130 pf. My advice is to also do some testing. I have found that there is no difference in my times or accuracy at 125 vs 135, but the 125 certainly feels a bit softer.

fwiw, i have also found a pretty negligible difference in speed between wimpy minor rounds and 170 pf major, even tho it *feels* like it should be faster to shoot minor.

Definitely try to load to 130-135. those few points of power factor are not going to kill you ..and should get to where you need to be for anybody's chrono. Back when we had only 2 divisions and I shot major... PF was 175 and we loaded to 180-185... I remember chronoing to PF 205 on a someone else's chrony.... back home I was like 182 ... they all thought I was very macho.... and I was beating the crap of my gun ...

• 2 weeks later...

I get an extra 600-700 bullets when shooting 125's vs.147's for the same price.

That alone made up my mind to shoot 125's. To be honest, I can feel little to no difference.

Me too. I even tried 125s vs 160's in my 38 super minor gun. Back to 125s.