Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA production question

long answer...

No they won't however in my experience shooting a Sig 228 in my very first USPSA match, they will make you start in a decock/hammer down position.

they'll make you start hammer down with ANY hammer fired gun in production.

Does the Stock 2 have a decocker? I'm not familiar with the Tanfos really, but I know on a standard CZ75 (non decocker version) you have to manually lower the hammer. Threw me for a loop first time I saw someone do this as an RO. I told the competitor "finger out of the trigger guard". Of course they informed me of the reason and I felt a bit silly.

Does the Stock 2 have a decocker? I'm not familiar with the Tanfos really, but I know on a standard CZ75 (non decocker version) you have to manually lower the hammer. Threw me for a loop first time I saw someone do this as an RO. I told the competitor "finger out of the trigger guard". Of course they informed me of the reason and I felt a bit silly.

Lol

Just the thought of that kinda freaks me out

Why is that? Thousands of CZ shooters do it a year at LAMR ("shooter, load and make ready!") in Production without incident.

If they're responsible gun handlers who watch where the point the muzzle, the worst possible outcome is an inadvertent round into the berm and a disqualification, which is extremely rare.

Why is that? Thousands of CZ shooters do it a year at LAMR ("shooter, load and make ready!") in Production without incident.

If they're responsible gun handlers who watch where the point the muzzle, the worst possible outcome is an inadvertent round into the berm and a disqualification, which is extremely rare.

Certainly does need to be done with care and attention and practice. (we are in the beginners forum section after all)

Eric

Stock 2 does NOT have a decock lever. Just ease it down paying attention.

Understandable for the consequences of a mistake.

Some pinch the sides of the hammer, I don't. I stick my finger between the frame and hammer, then hold it back with thumb. Release the trigger snd ease it down slowly removing the finger. Then if I slip, it hits my finger, not the firing pin. The key is PAYING ATTENTION. Run a mental check list, point in safe dxn, finger in, thumb griping, finger to trigger, lower hammer.

Lol

Helpful Kevin, thanks for adding to the discussion. :yawn:

With me being new to Uspsa this year I took the plunge and bought a Tanfoglio Stock 2 for my first gun ( actually I bought 2 lol ) .... Coming from a glock in IDPA it wasn't really a learning curve for dropping the hammer , just taking my time and getting used to it .

• 3 weeks later...

I asked a similar question and this video was posted. Thought it was helpful.

I used to use the Eurotrash method shown in this video:

It's a very safe and controlled method. No risk of the hammer slipping like with the common approach of pinching and lowering it with the thumb and pointer finger of the weak hand.

I've since switched to cowboy style and lower the hammer with my strong-hand thumb. Chicks dig it.

:cheers:

I asked a similar question and this video was posted. Thought it was helpful.

I used to use the Eurotrash method shown in this video:

It's a very safe and controlled method. No risk of the hammer slipping like with the common approach of pinching and lowering it with the thumb and pointer finger of the weak hand.

I've since switched to cowboy style and lower the hammer with my strong-hand thumb. Chicks dig it.

:cheers:

This.

I think it all depends on what weight hammer spring is being used. A 8.5lb hammer is nothing to hold onto, but once getting up around 13 and higher you have to be able to pinch a little harder with more grip.

• 3 weeks later...

Do take care while lowering the hammer, at a steel challenge practice matchtonight I DQed a guy for launching one into the berm as he was loading between strings. He slipped while lowering the hammer after inserting a new mag.

His gun, Beretta 92, has a decocker too but he likes doing it manually. Only pride injured.

Stock 2 does NOT have a decock lever. Just ease it down paying attention.

How so? Nothing inherently unsafe about lowering the hammer.

I beg to differ. Grips slip and guns go bang. Hence why decockers were invented.

• 1 month later...

I use the thumb-roll technique with my CZ. It is more forgiving with sweaty fingers than trying to pinch the hammer. It gets a tad warm down here (Alabama) in the summer....also spring and early fall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...