Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for TS .40

Grant

I'm starting to load .40 major for a TS .40, just curious I've heard CZ has a shorter chamber than some others.

BBI 180 .40 with TG and N320

OAL around 1.12 ish?

True it will be shorter than say STI, but you should measure to see exactly what your chamber is. My guess is that you could likely go out to 1.150 +/- some, but you will need to check. Take the barrel off and drop a BBI180 down into it and measure the distance from the base of the bullet to flush with the barrel hood, add in the length of the bullet from where it touches the throat. This will determine absolute max COL for your barrel WITH THIS BULLET.

You will absolutely need to load shorter than this figure by at least .01, and perhaps more.

You may also need to adjust for your magazines. So, once you determine a workable COL load do a test loading of the magazines to ensure proper feeding before you start running ammo.

Edited by Yeti

I do no run that specific bullet myself....I use 180 gr blue bullets and 180 gr rmr. But they both load at 1.125...I could load out farther to 1.135 but then I start running into issues with the magazine not feeding the round correctly.

I load my 40s so they will run well in the mags. The ts will in most cases give you mag issues before you have Chambering issues. Between xtreme and blue bullets I load to 1.135

When I first started loading 40 for the TS I was told that if I loaded everything to 1.126" OAL I'd never have a problem feeding or chambering. That has been the case no matter what bullet profile I've used. I did experiment with loading to 1.135", but had occasional feed failures. I can load Bayou 140gr sharply truncated cone bullets to 1.150" and they feed fine. However, that particular bullet profile is the exception.

Advantages of loading shorter rather than longer are better feeding, more pressure and velocity with less powder. For example, with a 180gr TC bullet, 2.8gr e3 gives 144PF and 3.6gr e3 gives 172PF.

As stated above, I can run out to 1.135 but occasionally have FTF or slight binding in the mags.

Switched to 1.25 and no issues at all in the TS, however running them in my M&P & Glock has feeding issues if they drop to 1.123 or less (minor variances in OAL with Barrys for some reason). I have found a happy medium for .40 (my guns anyway) setting the dies at 1.127 and runs everything Barrys, Acme, Ranier, Blue Bullets in the TS, M&P, XD and Glocks with factory ans KKM barrels.

Most consistent OAL have been from Xtreme HP's and Acme FP.

Keep in mind, this is with my press, dies and in my pistols. Find a starting point and find what works best with/for your equipment.

Good luck and be safe.

I load out to 1.135 in my TS 40. I load a coated 180 grain fp that I can buy locally with 4.7 grains of n320 and I'm at 171 ish on pf. I have tried loading to 1.145 too and had zero problems feeding but my pf dipped a little. Matt Mink recommended I load to 1.125 but that just seems short imo although I think most factory 40 is around 1.125.

1.145 is about as long as my mags will allow reliably.

The limiting factor on length with Tac Sports are the magazines, not the chamber. You can pass the plunk test past the 1.130- 1.135 that the mags will run reliably.

Short answer is 1.135 is really about the limit.

I started with 1.125 oal for BBI 200/180gr and acme 200gr. Had no feeding issues but I like the 200gr bullets and wanted more oal. I had a fellow shooter ream my barrel so now I have been loading 1.155 on the BBIs and acme. I have had no problems at all and am loving it (been 6 months). Using WST, 320 and ramshot competition with 200gr bullets exclusively.

I had the opposite experience. I can go .02 longer in the mags than the chamber.

The limiting factor on length with Tac Sports are the magazines, not the chamber. You can pass the plunk test past the 1.130- 1.135 that the mags will run reliably.

Run my TS loads at 1.14 with 0 reliability issues using CZ mags with CZC 140mm basepads

Edited by turbopower18