• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand your frustration but.... For a match gun I look at two things:

1) does it go bang EVERY TIME

2) Does it have acceptable accuracy ( trigger pull factors in here too)

Other than that, what does it matter? I have a EGW that I bought new that they did a poor job on the bluing Finnish. Disappointing? Yes, but that gun runs great, has the best trigger I've ever touched and is VERY accurate. I won a bunch of matches with my ugly duckling. ;)

Did you call him and express your concerns? If he says it's fine... see how it shoots :D

Edited by Chutist

Other than that, what does it matter? I have a EGW that I bought new that they did a poor job on the bluing Finnish. Disappointing? Yes, but that gun runs great, has the best trigger I've ever touched and is VERY accurate. I won a bunch of matches with my ugly duckling. ;)

Did you call him and express your concerns? If he says it's fine... see how it shoots :D

As long as it has great accuracy I'm good. I sent the builder an email with a video link and see what he advises.....

I also talked to a limcat owner and he said it's pretty normal for them but they are very accurate and great guns. I think I will go ahead and give it a test run tomorrow and see how it does. Can't hurt anything, right!

B.S. For that money he should be happy in every aspect of that gun. That is one that somebody at the shop said " its good enough". It is a custom gun and should have alot of hand fitting with no slop. My factory dvc open that I bought for 3k is tight as can be and it for sure did not get the attention that a full custom gun gets. I would not shoot that thing at all! If the builder says thats normal then I would not want to own one of his guns. You are in Svi territory as far as price aren't you? Dump it and get a Svi. Also I am not sure why people would lock or delete this thread. Does this site want to protect a company from a screw up like this? Edited by Kepo

B.S. For that money he should be happy in every aspect of that gun. That is one that somebody at the shop said " its good enough". It is a custom gun and should have alot of hand fitting with no slop. My factory dvc open that I bought for 3k is tight as can be and it for sure did not get the attention that a full custom gun gets. I would not shoot that thing at all! If the builder says thats normal then I would not want to own one of his guns. You are in Svi territory as far as price aren't you? Dump it and get a Svi. Also I am not sure why people would lock or delete this thread. Does this site want to protect a company from a screw up like this?

+1

Should he be happy!? absolutely! But should you get excited about a that slide fit? Maybe... I'd want to see if it runs and is accurate. ;)

If runs 100% and punches one ragged hole at 50 yards ( that was the case with my EGW) - I wouldn't touch it. ;) Now if that's NOT the case, I'd expect them to make it right. :D

EDIT: Just for the record, it don't know anybody at Lim-Cat and I don't care for their aesthetics. But I'd judge it by how it shoots... YMMV :cheers:

Edited by Chutist

B.S. For that money he should be happy in every aspect of that gun. That is one that somebody at the shop said " its good enough". It is a custom gun and should have alot of hand fitting with no slop. My factory dvc open that I bought for 3k is tight as can be and it for sure did not get the attention that a full custom gun gets. I would not shoot that thing at all! If the builder says thats normal then I would not want to own one of his guns. You are in Svi territory as far as price aren't you? Dump it and get a Svi. Also I am not sure why people would lock or delete this thread. Does this site want to protect a company from a screw up like this?

+1

+2. That's not acceptable for a custom $3400 let alone a $4400 pistol. Anything north of $3000 should be reliable and accurate, with a nicely fit slide/frame/bbl. This isn't a cosmetic tooling mark that didn't get buffed/blasted out.

The whole, 'this one slipped through' or its a 'QC issue', misses the point. A pistol shouldn't be built like that in the first place, IMHO.

I have to be honest...I cannot believe anyone would be happy with that fit on a $4400 gun!!! Heck a stock STI production Eagle is tighter than that.

And it can totally be fit with no play and 100% reliability. Accuracy in a gun is a lot to do with consistent lock up. With that play in lock up it is absolutely not as accurate as it could be.

I had an Infinity all stainless 9mm sight tracker with 20k rounds and still no play. And not even coated!!! That gun would have been returned the day I picked it up. I wouldn't have left my FFL with it.

You paid the equivalent price that if a car it would be a high performance Corvette. That attention to detail is that of a Cavalier. No one may want to say it but it's the truth. Give the builder a chance to make it right. Whoever it is should absolutely make it right

+1

+2. That's not acceptable for a custom $3400 let alone a $4400 pistol. Anything north of $3000 should be reliable and accurate, with a nicely fit slide/frame/bbl. This isn't a cosmetic tooling mark that didn't get buffed/blasted out.

The whole, 'this one slipped through' or its a 'QC issue', misses the point. A pistol shouldn't be built like that in the first place, IMHO.

I guess I am a bit more stingy than you are, I would say that by the time you get more than about 1500-2000 bucks you should be getting a pretty, accurate, well fit and reliable gun. My 1100 dollar gun is fit tight enough with zero hand fitting that if I spent the amount of money that even a factory STI costs and it was floppy I would be peeved.

I get really annoyed with people that say "well, does it shoot straight? That's all that matters." No, actually it's not. If you are spending that much money on a gun, it should be the best in everything.

As long as it has great accuracy I'm good. I sent the builder an email with a video link and see what he advises.....

I also talked to a limcat owner and he said it's pretty normal for them but they are very accurate and great guns. I think I will go ahead and give it a test run tomorrow and see how it does. Can't hurt anything, right!

Give us an update on what the builder advise on...

This is not about accuracy!!!! A $900 Trojan is accurate. Go to JERRY KUHNHAUSEN book on the 1911 and read about his tests. Sure cheap guns with sloppy side to frame can be accurate because the barrel to slide fit is outstanding. BUT!!!!!!!

This is a $4,000 dollar custom gun.

It should be tight and smooth like a hot knife though butter. You are paying for it to be a showpiece as well as a shooter

Perhaps I might have some experience in this department since I have quite a few SV guns, a gun built by Tripp, Ralph at C&S. These are members of the Gunsmith Guild-and they did not get there by putting out slop.

Talk with Bob at Brazos, Dan at Bedells, Don at Kodiak Precision, Eddie Cameron, Eddie Garcia, Frank Glen, Bill at C&S--the list goes on about their $4-5K guns. These are premier custom builders. They would not put that product out.

PKelly and Aircooler know what they are recommending.

I would not ask him to fix it--I would ask for my money back-PERIOD.

Also, I have seen some LimCat guns up close and personal. They were great works of art as well as shooter.

I already got an email response from the builder. Excellent customer service so far I must say. They are going to send me a UPS label and said the they would have to replace the slide and barrel. If they take care of the problem I good with that. :)

I already got an email response from the builder. Excellent customer service so far I must say. They are going to send me a UPS label and said the they would have to replace the slide and barrel. If they take care of the problem I good with that. :)

Not too shabby for 11:30 at night! I'm sure Johnny will take care of you and make it right.

Glad to hear that. A good news indeed :cheers: I'm sure it will turn out great.

Why would you want a builder who put his name on that to fix the gun? I don't have any full custom pistols, but if I did, I would expect them to be painstakingly hand fit in every imaginable dimension. Any shop that is selling something less than that as a "custom" gun at custom prices wouldn't be getting my business.

No one has asked, but are you sure the pistol is a brand new gun ? The builder puts out quality pistols. Did you order the pistol new and how long did you have to wait for it if you ordered it new ? There are some marks on the grip safety and bluing wear that does not makes sense for a new gun. May not be anything, just Cop questions.

Edited by troupe

No one has asked, but are you sure the pistol is a brand new gun ? The builder puts out quality pistols. Did you order the pistol new and how long did you have to wait for it if you ordered it new ? There are some marks on the grip safety and bluing wear that does not makes sense for a new gun. May not be anything, just Cop questions.

It's brand new but I didn't have to wait for it. Limcat built it for a distributor. I didn't see anything on the grip safety or any other marks. Maybe it was dust or oil/grease that showed weird on the video........

http://www.speedshooter.com/category_list.cfm?ID=PI&Pistols

Replacing the top end is the MIN they should do. If it were mine it would be going back and nothing less than a full refund would be accepted. I mean there are 400 buck rock islands with a better fit than that. On a 400 buck gun ya not good but you get what you pay for. For a gun that's an assembly line gun with mim parts tossed in that should be in tolerance then ya you may have one slip by QC but come on this is a hand built custom gun there should be no slipping by QC especially to that extent. For a custom gun especially in that price range your paying for the reliability accuracy as well as the attention to detail. Accuracy and reliability as well as better fit can be had for half that.