Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hand warmers

9x45

Ok, hosers, this is the hot tip for the cold mornings! 3 Lithium Ion batteries (Not Boeing). Runs 5 hours at 120*F or 2 hours at 140*F. Doesn't cool down right away because of the thermal mass. You know how important it is to have your trigger finger and grip thumb warm. Goes to full heat in about 30 seconds, shuts off in 5 seconds. Beats the heck outta iron smack packs and lighter fluid heaters. About $50 on Amazon, bunch of different models.

image37201.jpg

With the cheap hand warmers you can have one for each hand. So thats $100 for two of these! Thats a lot of 8 hour hand warmers!! :)

Exactly! Plus I've still got a bunch left over from a few years ago when I hunted a lot. My local Sam's club has 40 pairs of them for $25. Being that I typically only use them 2 or 3 matches a year, that's the way to go.

So you need a had warmer in Southern Cal? for reals?

Heck yea! anything below 44*F. It gets really cold in the desert, course it gets really hot in the summer. But nothing like - 60*F like when I lived in Joliet, Ill, but that's why I left!

Snow down to 5,000 feet, 9*F in the San Bernardino mountains, 34*F here this morning. Our highest mountain is San Gorgonio at 11,500 feet to the east of me, and Mt. Baldy to the west at 10,000 feet.

image37203.jpg

image37205.jpg

image37204.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Jon-E handwarmers still work quite well. I've got a couple that must be 40 yrs or so old that still function perfectly. From several things I've read the new ones from China don't work anywhere near as well as the ones that were made in Minnesota.

I suppose if I needed to warm my hands I could always go across the highway to the beach and stick them in the sand... :P

Hey Gino! I'd like to see what counts as a cold day at Ukumehame. Coldest thing I've seen there is the beer after the match.

I suppose if I needed to warm my hands I could always go across the highway to the beach and stick them in the sand... :P

Hey Gino! I'd like to see what counts as a cold day at Ukumehame. Coldest thing I've seen there is the beer after the match.

I think it got down to 68 F one winter...that was so cold I had to wear a long-sleeved T-shirt with the cargo shorts. When you going to come back and shoot with us?

I have Kapaa, Kauai, on my weather app on my phone so I can see what the weather is like on any given day at our time share. 82* today. If only they had some USPSA somewhere on the island, I'd be retired & gone already. What islands have clubs?

I think it got down to 68 F one winter...that was so cold I had to wear a long-sleeved T-shirt with the cargo shorts. When you going to come back and shoot with us?

Sounds like you need to stock up on hand warmers. We are planning for Maui next year, might be able to set it up to allow 2 Sundays fer shootin. Been going on Mexico vacations lately and talkin espanyola.

I have Kapaa, Kauai, on my weather app on my phone so I can see what the weather is like on any given day at our time share. 82* today. If only they had some USPSA somewhere on the island, I'd be retired & gone already. What islands have clubs?

The two islands with the most active clubs are Maui and O'ahu. VISSC here and MPPL, Hawaii Practical Shooters, and Rhat-Rhat Boys on O'ahu. The guys on the Big Island lost their range in Hakalau and I've heard they're shooting on someone's private land down in south Kona in Hawaiian Oceanview Estates but can't confirm that. Too bad Kaua'i doesn't have a range. We shoot every Sunday except the first of the month, weather permitting...the weather usually involving the wind. Drop me a line here if you plan on getting out this way and I'll get you all the pertinent info.

Ben B: Cool, drop me a line before you come and we can give you the scoops, too.

Shayne, a bunch of us were off Monday, but knew the range would be unbearable. We went for wings and a movie instead. I'll be there this week. Supposed to be mid 40s Mon. and Tues.

Thanks, Gino. We were in Kona 2 years ago, wife ran the half marathon. The Big Island is really interesting. Big enough to drive over 40 MPH, every weather climate at the same time somewhere. A USPSA club would be the the ultimate. A friend honeymooned on Maui, and really recommends it. Can I add blocks to my hi caps to make them 10 rounders, or do they have to be actual 10 rd. mags?