Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 in Limited

mont1120

Well that begs the question on how would a 141 mag meet 140 length rules?

Because the actual max measurement is 141.25mm for limited double stack, and 171.25 for open or single stack magazine in limited. It is just easier to call them 140's or 170's

Ok, so the MBX mags will meet the requirements, that almost solves my questions. Chutist, I appreciate what you are saying, so I will take a few more days and analyze what to do, .40 or .45. For my last odd question, what is a fast to normal reload time, and what would be the loss factor point wise. Certainly a standing reload would be devastating to a score, but what about on the move, is there that much time loss other then old man eyes with old man reflexes?

As I look back, I rarely remember shooting a 20 round stage, seems most are way over that number.

Yes. It only takes a second to change a mag. With a 32 shot max for a stage and 18 round mags you will only need one reload per stage. There ia always a spot where you can reload without costing you extra time.

Yes. It only takes a second to change a mag. With a 32 shot max for a stage and 18 round mags you will only need one reload per stage. There ia always a spot where you can reload without costing you extra time.

Okay next time you are out for practice...set up two boxes. What's fair - 5 steps apart? Set up a drill where you can shoot one target run to the other box and shoot the second target. Do it with and without a reload between the boxes. Try it left to right and right to left. I think you are in for a surprise. :surprise:

Nothing is "Free". :excl: Higher class shooters may see less impact but I'd bet even a GM would tell you there's some measurable difference. :D I believe this idea of a "free" reload just because you are moving too is a fallacy. It may have LESS impact that a standing reload but it's not without cost.

I'm all for shooting whatever you want, :bow: but with full knowledge that those choices will impact your score. :cheers:

Edited by Chutist

Okay next time you are out for practice...set up two boxes. What's fair - 5 steps apart? Set up a drill where you can shoot one target run to the other box and shoot the second target. Do it with and without a reload between the boxes. Try it left to right and right to left. I think you are in for a surprise. :surprise:

Nothing is "Free". :excl: Higher class shooters may see less impact but I'd bet even a GM would tell you there's some measurable difference. :D I believe this idea of a "free" reload just because you are moving too is a fallacy. It may have LESS impact that a standing reload but it's not without cost.

actually I have done this in dryfire and live fire with no difference, as long as everything goes as planned. It does offer more opportunity for things to go wrong, however. I think a bigger factor is shooting more carefully to avoid a standing reload. That can definitely slow things down.

Ok, so the MBX mags will meet the requirements, that almost solves my questions. Chutist, I appreciate what you are saying, so I will take a few more days and analyze what to do, .40 or .45. For my last odd question, what is a fast to normal reload time, and what would be the loss factor point wise. Certainly a standing reload would be devastating to a score, but what about on the move, is there that much time loss other then old man eyes with old man reflexes?

As I look back, I rarely remember shooting a 20 round stage, seems most are way over that number.

Shot to shot, a fast reload is the low 1.something. Like a 1.2 or faster. Speedy guys can get well under a second.

If you can get an 18 round magazine for limited, I think you will be fine. Is it as convenient as 21? No, it is not. On super high HF stages you will likely lose some time over not having to reload at all. It will take some stage planning to prevent that.

be glad to how it goes for u. i am long time 45 cal shooter. have ton of 345 brass. when iwas shoot Limted hald para p-16 in 40 cal it was ok. was all setup to buy a gun from dawson. then 2 week after i place the order had to stop the order . because of stuip ny safe act. got reid of 20 gals of 40 gal brass and just shoot Lt 10.in 45 so good luck

From time to time you may encounter a stage where 20 rounds winds up being better than 18, or 23 better than 20, but practically it's just a bit of wiggle room for when are you going to have to feed the thing. We've got a handful of Production shooters who have some ridiculously fast pivot reloads, to the point where it's basically not worth it to fret about getting a reload at the perfect time. Their plans look pretty much like Limited plans, just divided by 10 shots.

Well I think it is gonna be a ball of fun. Hey, look at it this way, I get .05 of extra surface area to hit that perf, and with 25 rounds, that will be the points I make up for the one round I dont have.

Plus, all of the .40 shooters will just shake their heads and wonder why we loons stay with the .45.

Well I think it is gonna be a ball of fun. Hey, look at it this way, I get .05 of extra surface area to hit that perf, and with 25 rounds, that will be the points I make up for the one round I dont have.

Plus, all of the .40 shooters will just shake their heads and wonder why we loons stay with the .45.

The ACP stands for AMERICAN COMPRESSED PATRIOTISM, that's why.

A .46, now were talking...........we had a shooter at our annual concealed Carry match shoot a 50AE this year, it was a great thing to witness. You would hear a 5 shot .38 pop away, then BOOM, BOOM.........

Recoil was stout I must say. I can't figure out how to stuff 15 rounds of that in a mag.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest for you to get a Para in 40. 20 rnds reloadable or 21rnds you have to slap it hard. So 21+1 at the get go and 20 rnds reoad would be sufficient enough. i pisted my Para Pro Custom With Sight Tracker barrel in this forum under PARA http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=222540#entry2513437

Edited by fishpinoy27

If you compare 200 grain .45 costs compared to 180 .40 cost, the max difference per round 1 cent per round. For an average match here that adds up to $1.50 a match. Even if the powder use is higher by say .03 cents which is high, I only add $1,50 to the match. Brass is .35 for .40, and .45 is .48, but those can be reloaded several times, so the cost is deceptive.

On the high side I will pay on average $5 more per match. I think all of us spend that much on breakfast.

And think, for the measly 5 bucks, I get all of the extra .05 surface area to hit the perf. What a bargain....lol...lol :cheers:.

And with my less then speedy eye coordination, it really is easier to see the huge hole the .45 puts in paper. Might save me a miss or two. Pick up an A over a D. This is pure old man strategy to ambush and catch up with the youngens.

(Or just plain stubbornness from the Alzheimer side of us senior shooters.) :devil:

Now right there is another reason to shoot .45, when you hit steel there is no doubt about the sound, something is going down, or you missed. I did finally get to shoot the STI for the first time, and it will certainly help my scores. Watch out you youngsters, I'm on a tear now........ :goof: .