Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decision Time... Trubor or Czechmate? Opinions Requested!

scottrallye

I agree with Chutist. My Czechmate and TS do run very well. But my custom built 2011 in 40 cal and my STI Tactical in 9mm also run very well with stock magazine. The only mods to the 2011 mags is the Dawson base pads. I shoot almost every weekend and the majority of shooters are using 2011's in Open and Limited. I don't see that many problems. There is a growing number of CZ shooters in Open, Limited and Production and those guns run as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my Czechmate in February, it's runs flawlessly. it's reliable and shoots great. I shoot 5 matches a month in 3 states, 9,000+ rounds this year. I have not replaced one thing. All I did when I was looking at getting into open was watch all of the guys shooting 2011 STI/STV and the others, on the squads I was on at the different matches. This told me all I needed to know. If I get one of them I will be taping & racking at some time in every match, they just don't run.

You should be taping in every match. That's just part of good sportsmanship.

You may see a lot of malfunctions with 2011s because nearly everyone who shoots Open shoots a 2011.

"They just don't run." is a pretty bold statement. If that were true, we would see National and Area Open championships won with CZs. We don't really see that. It's cool that you like yours, don't get me wrong, but if it were as simple as picking up a CZ and blasting past all the piles of choked 2011s thrown down in disgust don't you think somebody would have figured that out by now?

I've never seen a 1911 break a slide stop. I've never seen a 1911 break a trigger return spring. It's a simpler design to work on and modify. You don't need 3 hands and a deluxe set of punches to take one apart.

Again, the CM is an OK gun. But pretending that 2011s don't work is silly. Nearly every High Overall trophy goes to someone shooting one. If I had to go with a CZ, I'd contact kneelingatlas and figure out what the hot setup is. He has played with more comps, CZs and Tanfos than I have even seen.

To the OP, what kind of time and effort are you going to put into developing yourself as a shooter? I think in large part that will determine which one is right for you. If its casual participation, or just shooting a bunch of matches it probably doesn't matter much what you choose. In that case I'd opt for convenience.

If you are going to be committing to the division and jumping in with both feet, i think you would save yourself a lot of frustration by picking whatever your shooting hero shoots, making sure it runs, and then engaging in meaningful training. If thats picking up a Tanfo and trying to chase down Eric, or whatever the case may be, great. You will never have to wonder if your equipment is adequate.

I'm a huge CZ fan, but I can't see the advantage to going with one for Open right now. I shoot CZ Shadows for Production, and 2011s for Open (and Limited/L10) and they point the same for me, so it really just comes down to what you're comfortable with. The overwhelming amount of support, parts, etc for 2011s make them an easy choice.

As far as reliability goes, I haven't shot much Open the last couple of years (or anything else really), but I don't think you'll find anybody that can recall the last time they saw one of my Open guns malfunction (okay, had a scope go whacky, but the gun kept running). I'm getting ready to list my backup gun (a Bedell) for sale, and the year I used that as a primary gun, I shot it in 13 local matches, and three majors without a single malfunction. It didn't have any malfunctions in practice either, but no witnesses to that.

On the other hand, if you want something different, the CZ would be cool, and it would be fun just for that aspect!

Martin Kamenicek shoots a Czechmate and Eric G shot a Tanfoglio so don't think that is going to hold you back but the 2011 is by far the more popular choice.

Try both before you buy if you can but either way you can always sell it and buy the other.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone. It was tempting at the last minute to go with an STI, but I have thought through (and just plain wanted) a Czechmate for so long that I decided to go with my gut, what I'm familiar with, and what I've drooled over for the last couple years, and I bought a Czechmate today. No matter how I spin it, it just adds up for me. I figure someday down the road when I'm ready to try something new, have experience shooting open, and know what I like, I'll cough up the money for a higher end 2011 rather than going with the less expensive end of the spectrum. Until then though, I'm going to have a LOT of fun with the new Czechmate. Now, as soon as FedEx gets it to my FFL I'll get some pictures posted.

Meanwhile, any other advice on switching open division is certainly welcome! I already have a variety of reloading supplies ready and I've been doing homework as to what I should expect reloading for the Czechmate (i.e. shorter OAL, which I'm already familiar with in my Tactical Sport) so hopefully I'll some kind of starting point.

I am in the same boat of just getting a Czechmate. I'm currently running 124gr bullets, but I recently had the chamber throated to allow a little more forgiving tolerance. I think I may try 115 now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I shoot 2011 myself, but Ive reccomended the CZ czechmate to many friends, and shot it quite a bit myself, its an awesome package, especially for my non reloading friends.

a buddy has 10-15k through his with 0 racking, which I could say same for my svi.. allthough most of the times it will run a L3 no racking, its lately needed to be racked 1 time per l3, though think I found culprit and its sorted.

Edited by ano

I am in the same boat of just getting a Czechmate. I'm currently running 124gr bullets, but I recently had the chamber throated to allow a little more forgiving tolerance. I think I may try 115 now.

I am using Montana Gold 115 gr CMJ's with 7.4 gr AutoComp. I think I am running them at 1.140 but I'll have to check on that. It chrono's at 1480 fps which get me 170 pf. I like the results. I have not reamed the chamber. I was getting some mildly flattened primers with SPP. I switched to Winchester SRP and all is good.

Someone mentioned replacing the trigger, which I take to mean the trigger "shoe"... I assume because the factory unit is polymer. I shot the TS in that state for a long time, and it's hard to fault a 1 lb 10 oz factory trigger (even if it's polymer), but yes, it does feel better with the aluminum units available from CZ UB. I'd hardly say it "needs" it but I'll be ordering a long finger/large hand trigger for the Czechmate as well. My background knowledge with the platform is a big reason I bought the Czechmate, and I can mix and match with parts and mods I've made to my TS! Literally the only thing I need to pick up from CZC that I don't already have is the aluminum base plate for the big stick mag.

The big thing seems to be reaming the chamber. I do all my own gunsmithing, but I don't know if I want to do that in my shop at home. I know someone locally that can help though. I know the max length you can fit in the TS/Czechmate mags is 1.170 OAL, so I assume reaming it to 1.150-60 would be ideal?

As far as the 90 degree mount goes, I understand that's personal preference, but with my tendency to tinker I'm sure I'll try it eventually.

kneelingatlas, I'll PM you from some load info, thank you! :D

I am using Montana Gold 115 gr CMJ's with 7.4 gr AutoComp. I think I am running them at 1.140 but I'll have to check on that. It chrono's at 1480 fps which get me 170 pf. I like the results. I have not reamed the chamber. I was getting some mildly flattened primers with SPP. I switched to Winchester SRP and all is good.

Do you mind sharing your load data?

Someone mentioned replacing the trigger, which I take to mean the trigger "shoe"... I assume because the factory unit is polymer. I shot the TS in that state for a long time, and it's hard to fault a 1 lb 10 oz factory trigger (even if it's polymer), but yes, it does feel better with the aluminum units available from CZ UB. I'd hardly say it "needs" it but I'll be ordering a long finger/large hand trigger for the Czechmate as well. My background knowledge with the platform is a big reason I bought the Czechmate, and I can mix and match with parts and mods I've made to my TS! Literally the only thing I need to pick up from CZC that I don't already have is the aluminum base plate for the big stick mag.

The big thing seems to be reaming the chamber. I do all my own gunsmithing, but I don't know if I want to do that in my shop at home. I know someone locally that can help though. I know the max length you can fit in the TS/Czechmate mags is 1.170 OAL, so I assume reaming it to 1.150-60 would be ideal?

As far as the 90 degree mount goes, I understand that's personal preference, but with my tendency to tinker I'm sure I'll try it eventually.

kneelingatlas, I'll PM you from some load info, thank you! :D

The 90 degree mount was developed to cure the 9 Major ejection problems of a standard C-More mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you are happy. That is percentage points for improvement in itself. Comfortable with the same platform, reliability from the gun, accurate, it all adds up mentally. This is a mental game and when your brain is content, you will shoot better, bottom line. Gun looks great also.