Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second gun? (Division related)

I love my 9mm 1911 and enjoy shooting single stack. I'm in my 1st year and ready to buy my second gun. I'm torn between:

*Another 9mm 1911 for backup. I have a Dillon 650 setup for 9mm so this would be easy and the least expensive, but maybe redundant.

*A 1911 chambered in 40S&W for something different and to start experimenting with major loads (and possibly using top end for future 2011). I doubt I'd shoot major in SS, but 40 minor might be nice? I would get a 40sw setup for my press, and it would likely be the same gun I shoot just in a different caliber (spare parts/interchangeability bonus)

*A custom 2011 for if/when I make the jump to Limited for more competition, and to have all the features I like in a gun (although I'm not sold on the 2011 grips yet). I'm not especially drawn to Limited except that SS is such a small division and I don't want to shoot any production guns.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Do you reload? If no or no plans to start, rule out #2 now. If you do reload, that would be the option I would recommend.

Unless you have a serious interest in spending a crap ton of money to play in Limited, I'd rule that one out too. I personally have no interest in Limited so I would never make that recommendation to anyone asking.

Thanks guys.

Regarding a backup gun at a major match, do you think it's a big deal to shoot 40 minor with a 9mm backup, or vice-versa? After looking at my scores over the past few matches I don't think I'll end up shooting major. The total points I've lost shooting minor doesn't seem like that many, while the 2 extra rounds seems to open more freedom for stage planning and saving reloads during 8-shot arrays. I know my shots will continue to improve as I settle in a little more, too.

A 1911 in 40SW is feeling pretty good at the moment. One thing I want to learn more about is Limited, L10, and SS in the states that don't allow high capacity mags (Hawaii, for example). If I were to move to Hawaii, it seems like a 2011 would be pretty pointless (assuming I could modify a 1911 to get the same performance benefits as a Limited gun).

*A custom 2011 for if/when I make the jump to Limited

+1. That's the way to go. :bow: :bow:

Jack, you're killin' me! :) I would love a custom gun, I just don't want to move to Limited for at least another year. I think I would use it for monster matches, though, and probably as a second gun at steel matches.

If you're looking to go to limited save your money and shoot single stack minor. Just keep practicing slamming those skinny mags in that tiny hole and when you finally switch to limited those big wide 2011 mags and magwell will feel like easy mode.

If you have the money, there is nothing wrong with a back-up gun. I used to have one and I never needed it. So I sold it to use the funds for other things. I'm not sure I understand why you would want to shoot major in Limited, but minor in Single Stack. If you're ready for another gun, I would go ahead with the Limited build for 40 major. I guarantee you once you start shooting stages without having to reload every time you move, you 're going to have a lot more fun!! just my 2 cents......

Forget the backup gun, if your gun breaks when you are at a match, you probably aren't going to get top 3 in your division/class anyway.

Buy a limited gun in 40. If you get another 1911, you will just have to pick which gun you want to shoot and it will probably be the same gun every time.

If you buy a limited gun, you can switch divisions based on what ammo you have or what match you will be shooting or who else is going to be at the match.

Its not as much fun shooting single stack at a local match with one other single stack shooter, but with limited you have others to compare yourself to so you can look at where you need to improve and how you can be better.

I don't agree that a backup gun is useless. Not all guns break in the middle of a stage or cause a total collapse on a stage. Often times you find something wrong such as a crack or loose or missing screws, mag not dropping, whatever. You either need pre fit parts and tools or the easier option to just switch guns.

Thanks guys.

Regarding a backup gun at a major match, do you think it's a big deal to shoot 40 minor with a 9mm backup, or vice-versa? After looking at my scores over the past few matches I don't think I'll end up shooting major. The total points I've lost shooting minor doesn't seem like that many, while the 2 extra rounds seems to open more freedom for stage planning and saving reloads during 8-shot arrays. I know my shots will continue to improve as I settle in a little more, too.

A 1911 in 40SW is feeling pretty good at the moment. One thing I want to learn more about is Limited, L10, and SS in the states that don't allow high capacity mags (Hawaii, for example). If I were to move to Hawaii, it seems like a 2011 would be pretty pointless (assuming I could modify a 1911 to get the same performance benefits as a Limited gun).

You could never modify a SS gun to get the SAME performance benefits of a 2011. Magwell and mag width in a 2011 compared to a skinny mag and a huge capacity difference make it virtually impossible.

Looking at what so many shooters are using these days I don't think I would ever buy a Major capable 1911. Capacity is king to most it seems.

You either like to do a lot of reloads or you don't. Only you know that. If you do, get a backup 1911 in 9mm. If you don't, buy a 2011 and shoot more per reload.

I don't think a backup gun is useless either, I just think that your backup could be a different type of gun.

If you only have 3 guns, why not have a gun for 3 different divisions, that way you could have more choices and switch if you wanted to.

If you have 3 of the same types of guns, you are really only shooting 1 gun all the time.

I would suggest having a few extra parts for your gun so you could fix it if you needed to.

If you get a cracked slide or something you cannot fix, you can just shoot another gun to continue with the fun of shooting the match.

Why pay 1000 dollars for a backup gun just in case your gun ever breaks, especially when you can just buy another type of gun that you would shoot more often.

That is just my reasoning on what I spend my money on when buying more guns. If you are a top competitor then a backup gun makes more sense to me.

I have a limited gun, an open gun, a single stack, and a production gun. I have shot each gun for a shooting season to help me with different types of skills.....reloads, speed, etc.

Thanks guys.

In Hawaii everything is 10 rounds for pistol. I primarily shoot Open with a 2011. But, I don't only shoot at home I go to some major matches on the mainland where there is no limit on mag capacity. That is why I and others go with the 2011 or other "fat" guns. I do have a single stack open gun from the olden days but never use it anymore.

If I were shooting mostly single stack I would go with a 1911 in .40. That way I can shoot in SS (major and minor) and L-10 and Ltd (in banned states).

In mag restricted states, everything is ...10 rds. No one has an advantage in capacity. Just my 2 cents.

I don't agree that a backup gun is useless. Not all guns break in the middle of a stage or cause a total collapse on a stage. Often times you find something wrong such as a crack or loose or missing screws, mag not dropping, whatever. You either need pre fit parts and tools or the easier option to just switch guns.

This I agree with......

Even if a gun breaks during a stage, and you can't finish the match well, you still get to finish this match. I never thought much about a back-up, but as I started to travel further and further for matches, and was investing a time driving, flying, fuel, hotel, and so on, all of a sudden I started to realize how much I'd be out if my gun broke on the first stage I shot. With a back-up, I might lose a stage, but I'd be able to finish the match, and that means something to me.

However, if you are not traveling to bigger matches, and are just shooting local matches, perhaps your decision is different.

I think it depends more on how much you travel to shoot and spend on those matches. How much do you care about finishing a match you flew to attend? Or drove 9 hours?

In my opinion if you see yourself as a competitor first and there for fun second you owe it yourself to have a back up gun as close as possible to your primary for your chosen division. Same holster, same mags, same sights, same grips. Just plug and play if there is any issue.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a second gun and your true intent is to have a gun you can use in multiple divisions and grow/play around in other divisions that is a very different question. What is your commitment to SS? That's how I'd start to answer that question.

There's some good stuff here, thank you.

One of my issues is that I've had a bunch of work done to my one gun. Each time I end up missing a match or day at the range. I get it back tomorrow, but it will need to get refinished in the near future.

That is a different scenario than needing a backup for a match, I know. But I guess a backup is for all of the above.

I am interested in bigger matches. I'm only 4mos in to gun ownership so my skills aren't to the point of flying or staying in hotels to shoot major matches. But I hope I can change part of that next year.

Now that I have a proper rig, I like the reload strategy of SS so Limited isn't overly appealing. I've never shot limited though so I really don't know.

A 2011 would be a project over time, and a 1911 in 40sw would be another Sig with a series of improvements (unless I wanted to swap top ends and shoot my modified lower).

I thought about having spare parts fit, not a bad idea. My 'smith said forget about a backup and get a 2011, but while he's saying that I've got no gun to shoot.

When I was new, this was all about afinding a safe and fun way to shoot often. As much as I tell myself it's for fun, I can't help but to look at scores and want improvement. I would love to shoot more and be competitive but who knows how far I will get.

Based on another thread, I have enough metrics to watch for improvement while shooting SS. My plan is to shoot SS all of next year and focus on improving rather than experimenting with divisions.

Based upon your last post perhaps you could hold off awhile before you make another gun purchase.

At 4 months you are still very new to the game and what you think you might want today is very likely going to change, and change several times, over the coming year.

Unless you have the funds for multiple guns you may want to wait until things crystallize a bit.

I've had a number of backup guns over the years. I've never had to use one. I know others have been less lucky.

You don't really need a back-up until you need it... Things break despite our efforts at preventative maintenance. However there are ways around that without actually buying one (i.e. borrow one, or travel to big matches with somebody that shoots the same division).

But when I was first starting out I just had the one gun I shot in competition. Later on it became multiple as I dabbled in other divisions or felt the need to upgrade to a new gun. At local matches I don't worry too much about bringing a back-up but then again I usually have a CCW in the vehicle that I could always finish the match with -even if it meant a bump to Open div.

Get a gun that doesn't need so much work to it.

As you're not really really set on something I'd wait unless you were going to get another 9m 1911 to play with in SS. (Thus following my advice to get something that doesn't need to be gone to a smith causing you to miss matches and lets you focus on skill. The surest way I see new people not get better is bouncing around from different division to different division and gun to gun. It's almost as bad as not practicing at all.)

Get a reliable gun. If you have the funds get a spare. Shoot said gun and its back up only for at least a year. After that, you'll have a much surer idea of what you want to do.