Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally loaded on my Dillon 650

I've been loading on a Dillon 550 for years. Recently had an accident with a double charge. One in over 200,000 rounds. But it destroyed my gun and scared me!

I bought a 650 because it has the auto indexing feature and should eliminate any chance of a double charge.

Today I went into the garage and loaded 500 rounds at a nice even pace. I know I can go faster but sitting in a wheel chair does not make for the best technique. I ordered a new stool today.

I'm loading Bayou Bullets. 135 grains with VhitaVhouri N320. After testing with my chronograph I came to find 3.2 grains will make minor (out of my gun).

I love the consistency from the press. Powder is withing +- .02 grains and OAL is about the same which translates into very accurate loads.

I wish I would have switched to the 650 years agolbanghead.gif

I've never had a double charge (sounds scary), but I've had squib loads -

can be just as bad. (Bullet sticks in barrel, and 2nd shot blows up gun). :surprise:

But, I got an in-line light for my SDB, and now LOOK into EVERY case

before I seat the bullet. :bow:

And, I can't double charge with 7 grains on WAC in a 9mm case. :cheers:

AZShooter, wouldn't a double of 3.2 grains N320 spill over the case? My experience is neither double charges or squibs KaBoom guns, but bullet setback does. Years ago we tripled charged a .45acp test barrel at BarSto, and it did not blow up, but set the bullet back on a book load, around .050", KaBoom. Squibs will bulge the shite out of a barrel, but not KaBoom. Here is an excerpt from the latest Front Sight,

image37152.jpg

Sorry to report, but it is perfectly possible to do a double-charge and a squib on a progressive machine.

It is pretty much impossible as long as things are going right. But strange things do happen, and to clear some jams, etc. you have to sometimes move things manually.

Read: create a room for errors.

With good discipline it is safe, but you have to REALLY concentrate on what you are doing.

In my many years of loading on progressive presses I had one or two double charges, and also made about 100 squibs.

AVOID DISRUPTIONS LIKE SYPHILIS!

Edited by Foxbat

Well, I thought N320 was a low density powder, but on the burn rate chart, TiteGroup is #10 and VN320 is #18, which suggests similar densities.

Powder density and burn rate are not correlated.

Am I missing something here?......are we assuming that theses 650's do not use the Dillon powder alarm????

I don't see how it is possible to double charge any pistol round with a properly adjusted powder monitor !!

Is a slow study so don't poke fun if I miss the obvious.......happy Thanksgivng to all!!!!!!!

Powder checkers are for sissies.

On a serious note - yes, it should catch MOST of the problems, so if you are nervous, then you should use it, by all means.

I don't use it on any of my presses.

Edited by Foxbat

Am I missing something here?......are we assuming that theses 650's do not use the Dillon powder alarm????

I don't see how it is possible to double charge any pistol round with a properly adjusted powder monitor !!

Is a slow study so don't poke fun if I miss the obvious.......happy Thanksgivng to all!!!!!!!

My get here is that the 550 has no powder check, so the OP went to a 650 to. Have a powder check station.

My get here is that the 550 has no powder check, so the OP went to a 650 to. Have a powder check station.

Actually, it sounds like the OP went to the 650 to get auto indexing which he believes will prevent a double charge. I personally don't think auto-indexing guarantees anything as you can still screw things up. But, it does help as does a powder check, avoiding disruptions, being alert, checking cases for powder visually, good lighting, a good load with a powder that isn't too dense, etc.

Sorry to report, but it is perfectly possible to do a double-charge and a squib on a progressive machine.

It is pretty much impossible as long as things are going right. But strange things do happen, and to clear some jams, etc. you have to sometimes move things

Read: create a room for errors.

With good discipline it is safe, but you have to REALLY concentrate on what you are doing.

In my many years of loading on progressive presses I had one or two double charges, and also made about 100 squibs.

AVOID DISRUPTIONS LIKE SYPHILIS!

Although I load on a 650 with a powder check, I'm still extremely paranoid about double charges and squibs. After all, the powder check rod and powder fail safe rod only work if they're installed, and I've forgotten to install each of those at least once. So, for every pull of the handle, I do a quick visual check that the powder check rod and fail safe rod are installed and moving as they should be.

Also, any time there's a stoppage, I pull everything off of the shell plate and finish them up on my Lee Classic Turret.

No squibs or double charges yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Edited by FTDMFR

I think your success lies NOT in the fact you are using the powder checker (you did not say how many times you caught a double there - lemme guess: never? :) ), but in the other step - pulling EVERYTHING out any time there is something wrong.

As I mentioned, this is the time mistakes can happen - when you interfere with the continuous process.

With a 550, make sure you look into the case everytime you place a bullet. If anything is off, pull the case and start over. Maybe this is why I only get 200 rounds an hour done with mine. (Crossing fingers) Thankfully, I have not had any issues with squibs or double charges since I have had my 550.

as has been stated, a progressive press will not guarantee against a Squib/Double/Setback

I ruined my brand new-to-me 2011 barrel with a squib round made on the Lee 5 station progressive press... that press also had so many problems that it was rare I could even churn out 50 rounds without a hiccup, so I was constantly messing with it, and sure enough a squib got by me.

I upgraded to the Dillon 650 and never looked back. I bought the powder level checker, it really annoyed the crap out of me and constantly required re-adjusting, so I ditched it once I got an LED light setup on my press. I do not put a single bullet down on a case until I visually have checked the powder, and with the Dillon Powder dispenser so far I've had zero issues.

Always visually inspect, it is your final safety check, regardless of any sensors you have hooked up to any stations.