Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Motion Comp Testing

kneelingatlas

That's a good idea, I'll try no comp next time :)

The test mule has no ports in the barrel and I know Akai uses that comp with lots of ports (6-8).

When I had that comp on my short 38 with two holes it definitely shot softer/flatter at major velocity (maybe lower muzzle pressure?).

Anytime you add the correct size and amount of barrel holes AND the right powder-You are going to flatten out the gun. I've messed with a lot of comps and powder combos. You will not see a flatter shooting gun than an SVI IMM in 38SC with 121s and a very healthy dose of 3N38. (10.2-10.4) Grip is not even a factor.

You take that Akai comp with his barrel port design and 124s with about 10.6 of 3N38 and it is real flat shooting.

9 Major will never output as much gas as 38SC, but you can still keep the dot within the glass of a C-more. Several ports and a Brazos Thunder 2 with a 5" gun,115s with HS 6 or Silhouette will make the dot lift and make a slight arc to the right. It doesn't get any better than that with a 9!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an either or thing I think. I have tried both. Side by side a 124 is a bit softer ( almost can't feel it) but the dot tracking, for me, is better with a 115. Same powered, same pf same gun same make of bullet.

HS-7, nice. I don't shoot 9 open but do most 9 open shooters run 115gr? Thanks

Seems to me that most people I talk to shoot 124/5's because of the lowered case volume. I like the 115's though, personally.

115s with 9.1 of HS6 even with 5 poople holes in 9 Major. Pretty sweet.

It's an either or thing I think. I have tried both. Side by side a 124 is a bit softer ( almost can't feel it) but the dot tracking, for me, is better with a 115. Same powered, same pf same gun same make of bullet.

I agree. 124s just seem to have a "push" versus a "snap". 115s are a tad bit cheaper than 124s. The powder difference is insignificant.

lcs, you have a good point regarding tailoring load/setup to a specific compensator - Thanks to Atlas, we've now got a relative comparison of different comps while maintaining as many other constant variables as possible (same platform, same load, same shooter, no barrel holes, same spring weight, etc.). But that almost over-simplifies the physical capabilities of each compensator, which are meant to be part of a fully-considered system with the rest of the platform to give a desired result; keeping the pistol flat while shooting.

What would be interesting now (though highly tedious and unrealistic) would be to put together identical platforms to begin with (meaning same basic gun design, same barrel blank, etc.), put the different comps on each one, and then modify each platform/comp combination until all of them are providing the same result (measured by number of squares that the muzzle of the gun lifts?), then compare what it took to get them all providing the same benefit to the base platform; load, poppel holes, springs, etc.

Basically, having a comparison of each overall system as each of the different comp designs dictates...

I love science :eatdrink:

Edited by Rudukai13

Of course! I just find the evaluation and comparison of the systems to be fascinating. The more it can be broken down to determine what works best for various components, and how those components effect each system, the better we can understand why and how certain components/changes will effect a platform.

Intellectual curiosity is a helluva drug :devil:

I have been watching all these comp testing threads with great interest. It appears to me, that the majority of the muzzle flip is due to the slide hitting the frame during recoil. The actual difference between comps seems very small. With that being said, wouldn't it be more beneficial to concentrate on limiting the impact force against the frame and/or modifying/improving your grip to control that upward movement?

So everyone needs to understand that its not the comp that matters. Its all a system, the comp, porting, slide stop cut, springs, bullet weight, powder, and caliber all need to work together. We have tested lots of comps and almost all don't work without ports and and perfect load.

I am starting to think it's grip more than anything. I spent some time looking at KA's videos. If you look at them frame by frame, you will see that the gun has almost no muzzle rise until the slide hits the frame. At that point, he gets a large muzzle rise similar to what you see in all my videos.

If you look at Cha-lee's videos, all his muzzle rise is also when the slide his the frame but the gun only rises a fraction of the height that KA and I are seeing with our guns. So either his grip is a LOT better than ours, or his gun is hitting the frame with a lot less force.

Here is a frame by frame comparison of one of KA's videos:

http://www.picpaste.com/pics/tanfoglio_frame_recoil.1450387295.jpg

Chal-ee's video:

http://www.picpaste.com/chalee-uUBfgovk.jpg

You can also see that Cha-lee videos he does not start with the muzzle horizontal. He has a downward angle on the gun already. Take a look at the ling on the garage door behind the gun as a reference point.

We have found that grip will help make the gun look flat on video but will not change the type of dot track you get. (example) If you grip the hell out of the gun and have a dot track up and to the right you will get the same result with a little less vertical, but looks way better on video.

You will not see a flatter shooting gun than an SVI IMM in 38SC with 121s and a very healthy dose of 3N38. (10.2-10.4) Grip is not even a factor.

I see what you mean. I don't know what the load is, but given the amount the grip is moving relative to Jorge's hands he doesn't appear to have a death grip on the gun. It looks like it tracks nicely!

I know this video doesn't have slow motion quality as good as the others posted here, but watch this video on YouTube and slow it down with their playback speed thingy. I am fairly happy with how flat my gun is.

https://youtu.be/fE3Hm96T89U

::ETA:: here is a picture if my little baby comp. 2 ports and the tank style break at the end. Kinda like an STI T1.

595d74e069f7e3e4429a8950777dd99e.jpg

Edited by Gooldylocks

You will not see a flatter shooting gun than an SVI IMM in 38SC with 121s and a very healthy dose of 3N38. (10.2-10.4) Grip is not even a factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msV8KZcDbq8

I see what you mean. I don't know what the load is, but given the amount the grip is moving relative to Jorge's hands he doesn't appear to have a death grip on the gun. It looks like it tracks nicely![/quote

Just wanted to second this. Pretty awesome.

Just as an FYI. I tried holding the gun as hard as a could and it does decrease muzzle flip significantly. I am starting up my hand gripper training again.

With that being said, you would likely need a Ransom rest to properly test comps for a valid comparison. I think a lot of it boils down to feel and which comp allows you to track the dot the best.

There are so many variables with springs, FPS, weight etc.