Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Softest 9mm 1911 Load N320 - no PF?

RickT

Shooting SC I don't worry about PF. I don't need a bullseye-accurate load. Our current WSF load with 147gr coated is soft but dirty in our 9mm 1911s. I know some run N320 with 147gr for minor power factor, but I've heard the softest 9mm load with N320 is on the other end of the bullet weight spectrum. Any info appreciated.

I use VVn320 with 147's. It does burn cleaner than WSF and I like WSF with 147's.

Start around 3.0 grains to see how much powder you need to cycle your slide reliably and work up to 3.3-3.4 grains. This would be using the bayou 147 FP.

I run a 100gr SWC from Ibejiheads in steel challenge. I have used light charges of titegroup, e3, n320, bullseye, 7625, and a few others and they all can be described as a little dirty. At about a 109 or so power factor I dont think there is enough pressure built up for a clean burn of any powder, but they sure do shoot soft, almost like a .22 out of my XDM 5.25. The bonus is its still a pretty accurate load.

We're nipping at 50K rounds/year between my wife and myself. I nothing else if I can drop to 115gr bullets I'll be a bit ahead dollar-wise. I'll first give the N320 a try with 147gr.

Heavy bullets and fast powder.

147gr with just a pinch of N310, WST, Bullseye, etc, will feel like a 22LR. And can be very accurate.

Just start very low and proceed with caution.

this thread has some good data for N310 in 9mm:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219042&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by rev1911

Yeah, with a minimum power factor, heavy bullet and fast powder will be softest, but with no power factor floor, lightest bullet with fast powder will be softest.

Drop to N310 (or similar) with a 115gr bullet or lighter.

I've got Bayous in 124, 135 and 147. I running a 10 lb recoil spring and 19 lb. hammer spring. Should probably pick up (to start with) an 8 lb recoil spring for the soft shooting 124gr loads. Since I just bought some N320 I'll stick with that for now. Thanks for the info!

With the right springs (9# recoil 17# mainspring) you could probably run 115gr over 3.0gr of N320.

I tried 2.8gr of Clays under 115 LSWC and was still able to cycle just fine. Just smokey because of the lube and low powder charge.

Edited by v1911

Had to check my data but here's the lightest I've used.

2.6 gn VV n320 10# spring 147 RN

Be sure to yell "BANG" so to RO knows you shot.

Also if shooting steel you may need to keep a bullet in your pocket to throw in case the fired round doesn't drop it. :roflol:

I did a ladder test with N320...and Xtreme 147 HP........started at 3.0 to 3.6 grains with a 2011 9 mm

It was very interesting....3.0-3.2 would run ok but seemed slow on the slide.....on the other end 3.6 had a noticeable effect on recoil and getting back on target.

The choreograph told my actual story.....3.5 was the safest load to insure Minor power factor.

Shooting the 3.0-3.3 was fun...just my experiences.........I do love the N320 .......hope this makes some sense!

I did a ladder test with N320...and Xtreme 147 HP........started at 3.0 to 3.6 grains with a 2011 9 mm

It was very interesting....3.0-3.2 would run ok but seemed slow on the slide.....on the other end 3.6 had a noticeable effect on recoil and getting back on target.

The choreograph told my actual story.....3.5 was the safest load to insure Minor power factor.

Shooting the 3.0-3.3 was fun...just my experiences.........I do love the N320 .......hope this makes some sense!

I had the same experience with n320. 3.3 barely makes minor power factor. Butbitbis a very soft load. 3.5 makes power factor but is a little snappier. 3.4 n320 is nice. Now I'm using 3.3 of n310. I haven't chronographed the yet. But it is a lighter shooting load than 3.4 of n320

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2.8gr of n310 behind a 135 or 147 bayou is like shooting a Nerf gun. But still 128pf out of my g34 and 1911

3.3 of 320 behind a 124 is super soft and about 113pf. 3.0 behind a 124 is about 109pf. Any lower and it starts getting unreliable.

Lot's of great information and much appreciated. I've got 115, 124, 135 and 147. I might start by working the end points with the N320. I'm assuming at 147gr there is not a big range to work with, but my Hornady powder drop is very consistent and I'll start cautiously; for SC I only need to cycle the side.

I also have a good quantity of HP38 which was my backup in case I couldn't get any N320, but I'm not going to open a jug unless I get started with N320 and the supply dries up. At a 3.5gr powder drop I'm using 2 lbs/month so I won't commit to a switch until I've got at least a 1 year supply on hand. Fortunately, things are easing up.

I shoot a 160 gr Bayou with N320. SOFT is an understatement and still makes PF for IDPA. Run stock springs and runs like a champ

I added 100 160gr to my latest Bayou order just to give them a try. I'm grateful for the number of options selected, but it's mind boggling! I've got my power drop very well calibrated for WSF; will have to do the same thing for N320. Ditto for my RCBS micrometer seating die.

Using heavier bullets is the way to go if you're trying to achieve a softer perceived recoil while obtaining PF. But if PF isn't a concern, go with a lighter bullet.

3.0gr of powder X and 115gr bullet will be softer than 3.0 of powder X and 147gr bullet.

Go with a lower grain bullet. Then work up your powder charge until it cycles reliably.