Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lets talk red dots.

shippj

I searched through the forums, alot of good information. However looking for some first hand current knowledge on some red dot sights.

So some background, after this season I decided Im done reloading my shotgun. Time to go open! :P

I ordered a T&N 1919, cant wait for it to get here. I have an extra EO-Tech (model 558) Im going to throw that on the 1919 for now.

So that leaves my pistol and rifle. Im going to pick up a marauder and have a optic milled in. I could use an XDM, but I like the 2011 platform. I sold one of my USPSA limited pistol to finance the marauder.

My rifle I run a RZR Gen II 1-6x on a Warne RAMP mount.

I was thinking the Vortex Razor red dot, I like my Vortex optic. Then I read the red dots werent as good, that they were made in China and werent of good quality.

RMR is too expensive.

Delta Point is pretty expensive.

STS and RTS, I dont know the difference. But Im open to them. Price is right and I have heard good things.

Fastfire......dont know anything about them.

So I need 2, one for the rifle and pistol.

Dot size, I was thinking 6 MOA ish. Does anyone run 3 moa?

What are the consideration for a good pistol red dot?

What are your considerations for a good rifle red dot (on a 45 mount)?

I've been thinking about the JPoint with 65 MOA circle. That should be similar to the EOtech. Definitely thinking about it on my pistol, if I stay in Open.

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPOINTCD

I hadnt looked at that one, that is interesting. I wonder how it would hold up to the pistol slide?

That is my biggest worry, I have never had a slide mounted optic and worried about losing zero on the pistol.

I like my rts2 that I have on my pistol.

Have a trs-25 offset on my rifle and one for my shotgun. Very cheap but decent. $65 shipped each on amazon.

Do you happen to know the advantage beween the RTS and STS. For the life of me I cant really see the difference between the two.

Take a close look at a FastFire III. Since they are used for close shots I think the 8moa dot would be good.

I was leaning towards 6-8 moa. I havent had a chance to mess with a fastfire, I know they are popular. Ill have to bump that one up on the list.

I like my rts2 that I have on my pistol.

Have a trs-25 offset on my rifle and one for my shotgun. Very cheap but decent. $65 shipped each on amazon.

Do you happen to know the advantage beween the RTS and STS. For the life of me I cant really see the difference between the two.

Pretty similar in operation and size. Sts is a little smaller.

Rts comes with a rail mount

Sts you see more often on slides.

I own the following red dot sights, Fastfire I, II and III, CMore STS and SlideRide, JPoint, Aimpoint H-1 and PRO. I've had good luck with the Fastfire II and III. The Fastfire I sights had a tendency to fall apart with recoil. I kept 2 in rotation so I could always have a backup, the broken ones would be replaced by Burris without question. I have a JPoint in my gear closet, it broke the first practice session that I used it mounted on a Glock 34. I could not recommend one for use on a pistol. The CMore STS is about the same as the RTS except the RTS has a rounded window. I had it mounted on the same G34 as the JPoint and I used it untill I moved to a STI Open gun. The dovetail mount on the 34 was not strong enough to hold tight so I drilled a hole forward of the dovetail and added an extra screw there which worked. Never had a problem with that sight on the 34. It seems pretty robust and I would give it my recommendation. Aimpoints are great red dots but not for slide mounting. I've seen some H-1/T-1s on side mounts that would work well, but they are spendy.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I also own the Vortex Razor red dot. I also like it.

Just make sure every screw is tight and don't assume it is. I didn't and thought it was odd that the red dot would shake on my AR-15, even when dry firing it. I thought it might have been defective. Shortly thereafter, the mount got very loose and quickly I realized what was going on. :)

I also own the Vortex Razor red dot. I also like it.

Just make sure every screw is tight and don't assume it is. I didn't and thought it was odd that the red dot would shake on my AR-15, even when dry firing it. I thought it might have been defective. Shortly thereafter, the mount got very loose and quickly I realized what was going on. :)

I really want to get a Vortex ,their customer service has made a me a loyal customer. Im worried a out their red dot on a reciprocating slide.

The next in line would be the C-More. I hear good things about STS and RTS.

I was looking though and a RMR isnt that much more than the other two. Might just go with the RMR for the pistol and Vortex for the rifle.

Or maybe just get 2 fastfire and be done with it.

Don't cheap out when buying a dot for your pistol. They are cheaper for a reason. Many companies make dots for rifles and shotguns and one day think, "Hey, we could market this as a good pistol sight". Never works out well. I put over 80K rounds on a Deltapoint (7.5 but that doesn't matter :ph34r: ) and the only time I zeroed it was when I got it. I replaced the battery once. I just wish the CMore on my current gun had the "auto on" feature, I've started more than one stage and forgot to turn it on. It's an old saying, but true, you get what you pay for.

Ran fast fires on my Glocks. When I switched to the 2011 platform I went with the 7.5MOA Deltapoint. A big upgrade for not a big price difference. Melted a vortex in a slide for a customer. He really likes it. He started with the razor but switched when they released the lower profile venom.

So far in my search for carry optic happiness I have shot an rmr, cmore sts, and an original delta point all are in the 3moa range (as those were the ones friends had who were willing to let me borrow them :-).

The delta point is hands down my favorite (though I wish I had been able to borrow one of the 7ish moa triangle to try as I suspect I would prefer that as it would be similar to the dot I have settled on in the fullsized cmore on my open gun).

The window on the rmr and cmore sts were too small for my tastes. Both of them seemed to have some optical distortion of some sort that the delta point doesn't.

To me the delta point is about like looking through an eotech with a smaller lens very clear no distortion. The problem with the delta point is they seem to have discontinued the original and have just started shipping the new pro version which seems to be a good bit more expensive.

I am anxious to put my hands one one of the new Sig Romeo rds but haven't found anyone local who has one (not sure they are shipping yet?) Also interested in the vortex (I think it is the venom) one of the local guys has one but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Lots of these things seems to only come with a 3moa dot which I don't particularly care for. I shot a small dot in the cmore in my normal open gun for a fair number of years and I like the precision but moved to an 8 moa dot a few years back and that seems to be a much better choice with good accuracy but better speed.

I've shot a little TacIrons with an Aimpoint T1 and an M4s and liked them both. My astigmatism in my right eye isn't super helpful tho. I would like to eventually try the prism version of Vortex's 1x line in case I decide to play in TacIrons/Factory a little more.

I will likely be trying a Vortex Razor 1x dot when I finally pick up then SBR a CZ Scorpion Evo for fun.....or for a pistol carbine division if the chance arises!

I also switched to open this year, got tired of not being able to see the sights. I am currently running a FF III but want something with a bigger window. There isn't any way for me to look at different RDS where I live so have been researching best I can. Had decided on the Deltapoint but then they discontinued it. Looking hard at the Cmore RTS2 but the reliability issues make me hesitant to take the plunge.

I see Delta Point pro are 419 through Leupold's Government purchase program (Limit one a year)

I might have to take advantage of that. That seems a good price and the general consensus seem that delta point is the way to go for a pistol.

It's great that leupold works with federal employees. However they STRONGLY ASK that the prices are not be released to others!

My bad, sorry. Any consolation I cant get it anyways (retired, no longer active duty). Seen it on a friends sheet.

I have run a Burris Fast Fire 2, Fast Fire 3, and 2 Doctors Optics. I have not had any issues with any of them. I do however much prefer the Doctor Optic, however I have heard such good things about Burris and their warranty that when I recently put a dot on my carry optics gun I went with the Fast Fire 3, for price and the simple fact anyone I have talked to that has had a problem with the Fast fire, Burris has simply sent them a new one no questions asked. I feel the Doctor is a slightly better optic but I have heard their warranty is not quite as easy as a process. To me the Delta Point was a little to expensive when if I do have any issues Burris has historically been great about sending out new ones. That was my rationale anyways.