Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My head says Glock 34, but my heart says CZ Shadow

LeviSS

Glock 34 or CZ Shadow. I keep going back and forth on these two guns.

Here’s the deal…I started shooting IDPA this year to get my feet wet in competition and see if it was something I wanted to pursue. I quickly got addicted and started dry fire training regularly. I placed in the top 2 overall the last 3 months locally.

I’ve been shooting a slightly modified Glock 19 in SSP and doing pretty well with it. I am going to start shooting USPSA next year too. I’m looking to get a “real” competition gun for next season.

I’m not a bandwagon CZ guy. My first “real” centerfire handgun was a SP-01 Tactical. I still have it, I think it’s an ’09. I really like the gun. The ergonomics are superb, it has been very reliable, and is extremely accurate. The trigger sucks though. It’s DA is looooong and very heavy, and the SA is creepy. It used to be gritty, but after a lot of rounds it worked itself out. I hear that the Shadow has a much improved trigger compared to the SP-01’s, especially the decocker models like I have. The tritium sights of my Tactical leave something to be desired, but the Shadow has much better sights, too. I like the weight of the gun. I think reloads are very easy with it. The reason I'm not just using my SP-01 to compete with is because of (1) the trigger and sights are bad and (2)I've changed my grip shooting Glocks and I sometimes hit the decocker lever and decock it inadvertently.

I like my Glock 19. The grip took some getting used to, but after training a while, it’s not an issue anymore. It is utterly reliable and accuracy is pretty good. After installing new sights, (-) connector, striker spring, plunger spring, guide rod, recoil spring, and some polishing, it transformed the gun. I like the simplicity of the platform and the fact that you can do pretty much anything to it yourself.

Although I’m a little reluctant to switch platforms, I’m not too worried about making the switch to DA/SA. I’ve had some experience with it and the Shadows lighter pull weights would make it even easier to learn. From what I’ve read, most people don’t have much trouble switching with some dry fire training. I’m mainly worried about having to shoot one handed with the DA first pull.

The cost is basically going to be a wash. I'd have to get a holster and sights for the G34. I've already got a holster that (I think) will fit the Shadow and it comes with good sights. Either way I'm good on magazines and either way I have to buy more pouches for USPSA.

The Glock 34 has a longer barrel and sight radius. The CZ has more weight and less reciprocating mass.

The Glock is the ”safe” choice for me since it is what I’ve trained the most with and can be tuned into a very capable/reliable gun easily by myself. It's kinda the no brainer choice.
The CZ has the sex appeal and has become very successful in the last few years. It also has lots of tune-ability, it’s just harder to work on yourself. The CZ kinda has my heart because it was my first handgun.

I feel like either way I go, I’ll probably end up with both eventually…I just can’t afford both right now…wish I could.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling…I guess I’m just looking for some advice from other people who have made the switch and either liked it or decided it wasn’t for them. I know it's a very personal choice, but I've been kinda driving myself crazy about this and just had to ask on here. Any advice on how to choose would be appreciated.

Edited by LeviSS

Send the SP-01 tactical into David at Cajun Gunworks and he will give a trigger almost identical to a Shadow. The only difference is the Tactical has 1mm longer rest.He also has great sights too. Use the savings to buy more ammo and get gooder!!!

I have two SP-01 Tacticals from David that I compete with in USPSA.

Edited by brisix

I'm with Brisix, you already have a great platform with the sp01. And you've done work to the glock with all the internal mods you've done. The CZs really aren't that hard to work on yourself either. Just order a comp hammer, sights, and spings from either CZC or Cajun and you'll be set.

If you have two great guns, and this is your first year of IDPA (and next year will

be your first year of USPSA),

I would NOT buy another gun.

Stick with what you have until you get some more experience under your belt,

and then the choice (Your Choice) will be Obvious to YOU.

Stick with it - wait to buy another gun.

Practice like mad ....

Good luck with USPSA. :cheers:

Start USPSA with your SP-01. While you can run a G19 in IDPA, it will suck compared to a full sized Glock in USPSA. And remember that 95% of shooting is mental, especially in USPSA. There won't be an RO telling you exactly how to shoot each stage, you will have to figure that out for yourself.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into what it will take to get my tactical competition ready. I looked at the CGW website...I guess I'm going to have to learn what all the parts are, what they do, and which ones need replaced with better options. I really just want a pretty good trigger and sights.

I guess this way even if I end up not liking the switch to DA/SA, I'll still have a better gun than I have now and can go back to Glock. If I do like it, I can get a Shadow later and use this one as a backup.

If you've got the money get yourself a nice tuned up CZ SP01 Shadow. Sure, as others have said the Glock and SP01 Tactical are more than enough. So it a Taurus 24/7 Pro but I don't see many people competing with one. There is a reason MANY shooters (myself included) are shooting an SP01 Shadow. If you can afford it get a tuned up Shadow from CZ Custom, Matt Mink or CGW and don't look back. Or, tune it up yourself. It can be done.

Edited by JGus

Give David a call he will educate you on what parts you need to get your Tactical a sweet trigger. Everything is pretty straight forward to replace except firing block lifter arm. That requires disassembling and resembling the sear cage. Not the simplest thing to do on a decocker. Or you can send your gun into David and have him do it for you. David is very helpful and not going to "sale" you on what you don't need.

You said it yourself, you want a pretty good trigger and sights. Your CZ done up by whoever can get you that. The top three people it seems are CZ Custom, Automatic Accuracy (who I've dealt with most, but have bought stuff from all) and Cajun Gun Works.

Solid black rear sight. Fiber optic front, both in the widths you like.

Hammer, grips, main spring, trigger, easy trigger pin, trigger return spring, recoil spring, extended firing pin, fp spring, disconnector you desire, sear work, firing pin block work. That's a pretty comprehensive list and should get you all you need. All of the above shops will sell you the parts or take your gun in and do the work.

It was a definite change to go from a lightweight striker gun to a heave da/sa gun. But when you know what the differences are and where you need to work, you attack those weaknesses and they become strengths. Just like anything.

Quite a few people more experienced than myself have written about their journey from one to the other, but if you have a specific question for me, I'll gladly answer it. Either way, have fun in what you choose and enjoy it!

Hello: I would throw in the Tanfoglio Stock II in there as well. I like the flat trigger guard over the round one on the CZ. The Glock 34 will take you very far, as far as you want to go with it. It is not as accurate as the CZ or the Tanfoglio but still accurate enough. I would try to shoot as many different guns as you can. You may find shooting limited is more your style or even open. I would also get a reloader if you don't already do that. Lots of choices so take your time and enjoy the ride. Thanks, Eric

Glock 34 or CZ Shadow. I keep going back and forth on these two guns.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling…I guess I’m just looking for some advice from other people who have made the switch and either liked it or decided it wasn’t for them. I know it's a very personal choice, but I've been kinda driving myself crazy about this and just had to ask on here. Any advice on how to choose would be appreciated.

I didn't read all the responses, I will just answer your question. Shoot the one you feel you can pick up and make any shot with. Way to many people jump on the "oh the trigger is sooooo good" or "the weight makes it have no recoil". And on the other side you have "the trigger is always the same". I shot CZ's for a while and then switched to Glock a few years ago and actually improved. I took the guns out and ran drills (when first switching so the CZ was the one I had the most time with) and saw a measurable difference in speed and accuracy using the Glock.

You have both platforms, which feels best, which handles best, which would you pick up to shoot a hard 20 yard shot? In Prod it is not about the gun, it is how the particular gun runs for you. The only thing important is that it is accurate and dead reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

My stock sp01 was utterly simple to upgrade trigger parts, etc. Even took on polishing the trigger bar, disco, fpb lifter, and sear.

Parts - 13# main, 11# recoil, extended firing pin, reduced fp spring, reduced fpb spring, reduced trigger return, floating trigger pin, competition hammer (will damn near break like a custom 1911), comp rear, FO front, coppergunworks grips.

I've modded my SP-01 slightly, and shot a match with it last weekend. I think I'm going to stick with it for now. The springs made a night and day difference in the DA. I may get a Shadow down the road.

I don't know, probably better off just throwing the full mod parts at it. My buddy has a shadow, and we ran each others guns this weekend and couldn't really tell a difference. Once you get the comp hammer, it takes the feeling of the fpb totally out of the equation. I polished my lifter and fpb, but I had a pre-b sear in it for a few, and couldn't tell the difference.

20151117_115201_zpsods4tn3g.jpg

Edited by TJART