Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

Now I wonder if I should just sell the Dillon vibrator and put the cash toward another press! :D

No. Put your loaded rounds in it with the media of your choice and run for 15 minutes to get rid of case lube.

what case lube???????

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now I wonder if I should just sell the Dillon vibrator and put the cash toward another press! :D

No. Put your loaded rounds in it with the media of your choice and run for 15 minutes to get rid of case lube.

what case lube???????

Something you should be using. :mellow:

what case lube???????

Have never used it in the 15 years or so of reloading...why "should" I be using it?

Because every die manufacturer recommends it, even in carbide dies? Because it produces less stress on the equipment and makes the operation much easier? Obviously you don't 'have' to use it, but like many things, it just makes sense. Suit yourself. ;)

what case lube???????

Have never used it in the 15 years or so of reloading...why "should" I be using it?

I would say give it a try. You might just surprise yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well then...I must try this lubing thing people are talking highly about...

Questions:

1 - Do you have to take the lube off or is it OK to leave on the loaded round?

2 - Why would you not want to leave it on the loaded round so it feeds better in the gun?

The problem with all the lubes I have tried is they get gummy when they dry a day or so later which doesn't help feeding or they capture all sorts of muck muck and this doesn't help feeding either.

It takes 15 minutes to tumble the loaded rounds and clean the lube off.

I really don't have any problems loading now. I can see how it would be "smoother" if I case lube...now the down side:

1 - extra step to lube the cases

2 - have to load the cases right away (can't leave the cases in the case feeder as they will become gummy)

3 - extra step to remove the case lube

4 - extra expense to buy case lube

Right now, I just leave cases in the case feeder and load a hundred rounds or two or three when I walk by the press and have a spare 10 mins per 100 round...no worrying about lubing cases and no worries about removing the lube.

I might have to rethink this...I might not want to try something I'm not missing anyway...

There are many different methods to lube cases. Some seem less painful than others. I use One Shot case lube in the spray can. Using a heavy plastic bag or one gallon freezer bag, I lay the open bag down and use 1 short squirt on the top and one squirt on the bottom. Then I add a red solo cup 3/4 full of 9mm brass (about 100 pieces), close up the bag and shake and roll them around for a minute or so. I then put roughly a thousand pieces of lubed brass in a box. It doesn't necessarily get used all at once. May sit for a month or more and I haven't had any problems with it sticking.

I never leave brass in the feeding tubes for any length of time because I always break down the primer, powder, and case feeders and clean up between sessions so haven't seen a problem with lubed cases in the feeder tubes. Don't bother to tumble them afterwards either since it's really not that much lube, but it definitely makes a difference in sizing the brass.

If you use too much lube you'll know it right away. Might have the problems with gumming up but I've never used that much at a time.

I simply spray One Shot on the brass in the feeder, turn it over a couple of times, spray each time, and then forget about it. I don't feel any greasyness on the ammo, it all works like a charm. MUCH easier to work the handle.

Tumble loaded rounds in corncob with a cap full of Nu-Finish car polish for 30 min to remove case lube. Cases get even shinier, the finish protects the shine for years and it leaves the cases slick like a fresh wax job on your car to help feeding.

It's an extra couple steps but the benefits are worth it for me. Less work to size, less wear and stress on press and dies, shiny shiny shiny brass, no long term storage issues, improved feeding... Yep, worth it.

Tried most case lubes, prefer One Shot. Dillon lube is ok but the smell is awful to me.

well then...I must try this lubing thing people are talking highly about...

Questions:

1 - Do you have to take the lube off or is it OK to leave on the loaded round?

2 - Why would you not want to leave it on the loaded round so it feeds better in the gun?

I was like you. Happily loading without lube and seemed like lube just made stuff harder. So I tried this super easy method and I lube to this day. :)

Get BIG ziplock bag

Buy aerosol can of hornady one shot CASE LUBE

Get some clean cases.

Chuck as many cases as you plan to put in the case feeder into the bag.

Put bag on flat surface and kind of roughly smooth out most of the brass so they are lying down. A few standing up and some stacking here and there doesn't matter. Just spend 5-10 seconds getting them somewhat spread out.

Give it 3 quick sprays of one shot. Like 0.10 of a second per burst.

Close up bag and shake them around for 10 seconds.

They can now go straight into the casefeeder.

This whole process is under a minute. I can easily do a bunch of about 300 cases in 9mm in my bag.

Enjoy the silky smooth loading process and a possible tightening up of oal spread.

No need to post tumble. They just got the merest coating in the first place. By the time I've case gauged and placed them into the plastic cases, the later taken them out and loaded them into mags the lube is all but gone.

The trick is don't over do the lube. Then no need to post tumble. I get no extra crud in gun or mags.

I did try the dillon lube (lanolin and alcohol) and it does get greasy. It may work better as a lube but it's no where near as convenient as one shot and I personally noticed no extra benefit in loading (pistol rounds anyway).

Try the one shot and zip lock bag method. I was also a non believer but eventually thought I'd try it. I'm converted. I can't believe now how I loaded dry for so long!

I just spray one shot on the brass while in the feeder. After filling case feeder I spray all the brass, rake the brass around, and spray again. No need to coat every surface of every piece. No difference for nickel or regular brass. I don't worry about removing the lube either.

I really don't have any problems loading now. I can see how it would be "smoother" if I case lube...now the down side:

1 - extra step to lube the cases

2 - have to load the cases right away (can't leave the cases in the case feeder as they will become gummy)

3 - extra step to remove the case lube

4 - extra expense to buy case lube

Right now, I just leave cases in the case feeder and load a hundred rounds or two or three when I walk by the press and have a spare 10 mins per 100 round...no worrying about lubing cases and no worries about removing the lube.

I might have to rethink this...I might not want to try something I'm not missing anyway...

Step 2 in my experience at least with one shot is not true. I've lubed brass as it comes out of dehydrator and put in an ammo can for storage. Pulled out weeks/months later not gummy at all and still working.

3 is personal preference. I've done it both ways with no issues.

Edited by Garmil

I just spray one shot on the brass while in the feeder. After filling case feeder I spray all the brass, rake the brass around, and spray again. No need to coat every surface of every piece. No difference for nickel or regular brass. I don't worry about removing the lube either.

I thought about this method but was worried about gummying up the feeder...

Maybe I'll give it a try.

I thought about this method but was worried about gummying up the feeder...

Maybe I'll give it a try.

It does a little bit, but no big deal. I've done it for the last three or four years or so and have not cleaned the case feeder yet. Of course I do not shoot 50 K a year either. I am sure some mineral spirits on a rag would easily clean the inside of the feeder if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Got one from the guy in the Red suit. I've been on vacation.So I just got around to using it. Sure holds more then the HF two drum unit, but it is louder. You guys were right about the sample cleaner packet, it leaked. Blue Coral wash and wax plus lemishine now to wait about and hour to see how it comes out.

There is a learning curve. Probably too late but the pins have lube or something on them and they need to be ran through once to clean them. If your first batch doesn't look really nice and shiny run it through again with new soap and lemishine.

It took me awhile to get it dialed in but now it's the only way to go

There is a learning curve. Probably too late but the pins have lube or something on them and they need to be ran through once to clean them. If your first batch doesn't look really nice and shiny run it through again with new soap and lemishine.

It took me awhile to get it dialed in but now it's the only way to go

Good advice (on pre-cleaning the pins before first use...they also benefit from a cleaning run on occasion) and another convert.

:goof:

They came out fine, I've been wet tumbling. Just had to figure out how much cleaner use. Now I just need to figure out how to separate the pins with this much volume. The Harbor Freight tumbler was much easier. I know that there are many ways, just need to figure out what works for me.