Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

I used a tablespoon of Armor All wash and wax on this batch of 9mm, instead of the Dawn I still used a teaspoon of Lemishine granules.

I have to say this is the best looking, blingy-est batch yet:

20151113_135356_zpsx6cavmaf.jpg

I use the same recipe and couldn't ask for better!

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FYI...the bullseye-reloading.com guy says he uses a paint strainer bag to catch the pins and when rinsing them. He says you can get the paint strainer bags at any hardware store, paint store, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

This idea works, and works very well!

Got one at the local Ace to fit a 5 gallon bucket. I've used it twice now, and zero pins get through the mesh. I leave them in the bag to rinse with clean water.

Bob

FYI...the bullseye-reloading.com guy says he uses a paint strainer bag to catch the pins and when rinsing them. He says you can get the paint strainer bags at any hardware store, paint store, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

Got one at the local Ace to fit a 5 gallon bucket. I've used it twice now, and zero pins get through the mesh. I leave them in the bag to rinse with clean water.

Bob

But you still have to separate brass from pins first - correct?

Bob

But you still have to separate brass from pins first - correct?

Not first, but eventually.

I use it when I pour the dirty water out of the tumbler. It catches the pins, and you don't have to separate them from water. And then you can run some clean water over the bag to rinse them.

Edited by BobT

I put one of these in the top of a 5 gallon bucket. Pour water out of tumbler then dump pins and brass in to this. Shake pins through and rinse brass.

I think that, plus the paint strainer bag would make a good combo.....

the above media separator is the best solution to rinsing brass and getting the pins out. I have one with a drain hole in the side of the bottom basin with a valve on it and the top portion has a quick connect for a hose from my laundry sink tap.

I also use the media separator and it works well. The paint strainer cloth also sounds like a great idea when doing the rinse. FWIW, the pins start to feel a little greasy after awhile so I run those alone with soap and Lemi-shine to clean them up after a dozen or so cycles.

OK, guys, so I am using the Armor All with Lemi Shine, and getting very nice shine!

BUT! The cases seem to tarnish very quickly. In a matter of a couple of days they are already darker, and then get progressively worse. By comparison, cases, polished in regular tumbler, are still bright after several months.

What gives?

OK, guys, so I am using the Armor All with Lemi Shine, and getting very nice shine!

BUT! The cases seem to tarnish very quickly. In a matter of a couple of days they are already darker, and then get progressively worse. By comparison, cases, polished in regular tumbler, are still bright after several months.

What gives?

Either something in the Armor All is causing a reaction (no idea, no experience with it) or you're storing your cases in a place with high heat and/or humidity and the the brass has no protection from oxidation.

For truly outstanding shine, I throw my loaded rounds into a vibratory for thirty minutes to an hour with clean corncob and a capfull or two of NuFinish car polish. This puts a final mirror polish on the brass, removes case lube that can attract dirt and leaves behind a protective coating that not only prevents tarnish but is also slick as a freshly waxed car and helps feeding. I store piles of ammo with this treatment in ammo cans and even after a year in Florida humidity the cases are still bright and shiny.

you must have the worlds worst water dude, I've got cases that were done 6 months ago and they look as shiny as ones done 3 weeks ago

I was thinking the same thing, using Dawn and Lemishine, my softened well water and air dried, I have cases down months ago that still look like the day after they were wet tumbled.

Where is the brass being dried and/or stored during the time you see it darkening? Many things cause brass discoloration like salts, nitrides, acids and chlorides. Exposure to the atmosphere doesn't account for it turning dark in a matter of a couple days, it has to be a faster chemical process than simple oxidation. Heat over 150 degrees or so with high humidity would do it. Are you doing it near a hot tub or in a room with a swimming pool? On a metal table? On a surface previously contaminated with desiccant or other chemicals? Clues, we need clues.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's something that's being left behind on his brass that's causing it to darken.

1. Not rinsing enough: Some soaps, especially some dishwasher soaps, laundry soaps and Palmolive, contain sodium bisulfite which will cause brass to darken if not rinsed completely off. Not sure about Armor All car wash soap, but this is the first I've heard of anyone using it complain about dark brass so on to number two.

2. The rinse water itself contains bad stuff: Sodium bisulfite is also added to city water before being distributed in areas that use the super chlorination process. Also water with poor ph levels can have all sorts of chemicals added to it to make it meet safe drinking standards and one or more of these may be causing the issue.

I'd recommend a thorough rinsing on the next batch and see if the problem continues. If so, on the next batch do a final rinse with distilled water and see if the problem goes away. If not, we'll go back to looking for clues.

I noticed the brass started to darken after a few day after tumbling with dawn, lemishine, and the pins. I ended up dry tumbling with corn cob and nu finish and the brass still looks shiney months later

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I use dawn lemishine and pins, also. All things being equal. They might be on to something with the water. I rinse with lots of warm water, and don't have the problem with brass turning dark. Everyone's water is different. I've worked at many water treatment plants, and they all have a better way.