Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just ordered on the lightening deal - finally something I can use on there!

Funny story -

I've been wet tumbling for a while now but reading this thread made me want to try adding a little car wax to the mix to see how it would do. I didn't have any "Armor All wash and wax" but I did have some "Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Wax" in the car wash box so I figured I would give it a try. Throw in 900 38SC brass, 15 lbs of pins, Dawn, 45 full of lemi shine and a decent squirt of the Turtle Wax Ice - seal it up and ran it while I was out for about 2 hours.

Came back to find that the wax didn't agree with the brass at all and had turned everything a dull purple. And I mean EVERYTHING. Brass, pins, inside of the tube - even stained my hands as soon as I touched them. I had to separate everything out to scrub the drum clean(ish). I did several cycles with just the pins by themselves - replacing the water several times along the way. Water stopped running out dark purple after about 45 mins of running then rinsing. Once I had the pins and the drum clean I ran the brass for another hour without the wax - changing the water and soap out every 10 minutes or so - and it finally came out clean. Whole process took about 3 hours and I totally destroyed the plastic sink in the garage - black and purple streaks everywhere and the faucet looks like it belongs on an oil rig. The Mrs is not happy.

Moral of the story - not all car wax is created equal.

If you fill the lower part of the separator almost all the way, when you rotate the case/pin mixture through the water, the pins will fall out into the bottom. If I don't use water, the pins stick in the cases (due to surface tension I suppose) I don't use the FART, I needed something a bit bigger, but the separation problem is the same. :cheers:

post-56380-0-06286600-1448913709_thumb.j

post-56380-0-88318800-1448913720_thumb.j

post-56380-0-52313400-1448913760_thumb.j

That is weird, I use the same separator - even same color - and I just put the brass and pins in after rinse and they separate perfectly well. This is with 9s, .45s and .223s - not together :roflol: -.

I use a similar separator per Steve's recommendation. Mine is the Lyman brand though. I've wet tumbled several thousand casings and it separates the the cases and pins quickly and flawlessly. I process 9, 40 and 223 as well. Haven't had a stuck pin either - hope I didn't just jinx myself...

And I use Dawn and hot water. Works great. I have a water softener that probably helps too.

Edited by armydad

Set on 175, put brass in immediately on a baking sheet no more than two cases deep, turn off oven as soon as it finishes pre-heating and crack door open to encourage air flow, wait an hour, done. If your brass is unusually wet for some reason you may need an extra five minutes at 175 but usually not necessary.

No darkening. Nice and dry. No water spots if you rinsed enough and don't have hard water.

I tried it on 250, and the brass darkened a lot.

One of the guys at our club made the comment that he was drying brass in the oven and someone turned it up to 350 in preparation for baking and didn't realize his brass was in there. It obviously came out discolored. Does anyone know if it's still safe to shoot in that condition? If not, any other treatment to bring the brass back to useable condition?

So I lucked into the FLASH deal on Amazon on the FART. I have Prime and the tumbler was here in two days. So I decided I'd really put it to the test! I have a bucked of .45 acp that got left in the rain and sat...sat until the UV ate the plastic bucket! I moved it into a second bucket and put it in the garage...

So this is what it looked like going it...

E17A32C4-B9D4-4E7A-8C8F-8E9B5B2D1450_zps

Here it is after

FDA84434-115F-4724-B97C-C767FF90617C_zps

I used the pack of cleaner that came with the tumbler but added some Lemishine too. Let it run for 3 hours then pulled it out. I've got my Dillon separator and I used it to recover the pins.

If you're on the fence....it think the pictures show how well it works.

Now I just need to get the right other cleaners to go with the Lemishine. ;)

Edited by Chutist

Run it again with Dawn and the LemiShine and you should be really impressed.

Great results but what Steve said, use Dawn and Lemishine (I use 1 tablespoon Dawn and 1/2 teaspoon of Lemishine) and you'll be happy.

I nearly bought a second one on that Amazon deal even though I really don't need two, that was a great deal.

Run it again with Dawn and the LemiShine and you should be really impressed.

Great results but what Steve said, use Dawn and Lemishine (I use 1 tablespoon Dawn and 1/2 teaspoon of Lemishine) and you'll be happy.

I nearly bought a second one on that Amazon deal even though I really don't need two, that was a great deal.

I almost bought another one too...

How do i get rid of the water spots?

Spin them in a media separator (to separate the pins and spin off as much water as possible), put them in a bath towel and do what Steve noted above, then lay them out on the towel single layer and use another towel to pat them down. Works for me.

How do i get rid of the water spots?

Spin them in a media separator (to separate the pins and spin off as much water as possible), put them in a bath towel and do what Steve noted above, then lay them out on the towel single layer and use another towel to pat them down. Works for me.

I started with the "slosh in a bucket" like they talk about in the FA manual but quickly decided that wasn't going to cut it. I pulled down my Dillon separator and dumped in everything. Spinning got most of the water off and some of the pins out. I picked up what I could with the magnet and spun some more... repeat a few times and the cases were just damp. Clean up all the pins again and then dumped the brass into a towel. Agitated when ever I walked by and overnight everything was dry!

Now I wonder if I should just sell the Dillon vibrator and put the cash toward another press! :D

Now I wonder if I should just sell the Dillon vibrator and put the cash toward another press! :D

No. Put your loaded rounds in it with the media of your choice and run for 15 minutes to get rid of case lube.