Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

Where is the brass being dried and/or stored during the time you see it darkening? Many things cause brass discoloration like salts, nitrides, acids and chlorides. Exposure to the atmosphere doesn't account for it turning dark in a matter of a couple days, it has to be a faster chemical process than simple oxidation. Heat over 150 degrees or so with high humidity would do it. Are you doing it near a hot tub or in a room with a swimming pool? On a metal table? On a surface previously contaminated with desiccant or other chemicals? Clues, we need clues.

As I mentioned, the brass is spread on a towel, and a fan is blowing air over it. It looks great the first day, but then starts losing its bling.

It is not the air, as the box of brass, tumbled several months ago, is sitting right next to it, and these look like freshly mint gold coins.

I AM going to try distilled water, ours is on hard side, but would that explain the tarnishing?

Edited by Foxbat

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The more I think about it, the more I think it's something that's being left behind on his brass that's causing it to darken.

1. Not rinsing enough: Some soaps, especially some dishwasher soaps, laundry soaps and Palmolive, contain sodium bisulfite which will cause brass to darken if not rinsed completely off. Not sure about Armor All car wash soap, but this is the first I've heard of anyone using it complain about dark brass so on to number two.

2. The rinse water itself contains bad stuff: Sodium bisulfite is also added to city water before being distributed in areas that use the super chlorination process. Also water with poor ph levels can have all sorts of chemicals added to it to make it meet safe drinking standards and one or more of these may be causing the issue.

I'd recommend a thorough rinsing on the next batch and see if the problem continues. If so, on the next batch do a final rinse with distilled water and see if the problem goes away. If not, we'll go back to looking for clues.

All good points, but our water is from well, it has neutral pH and is slightly hard.

I will try next batch with extra long rinsing.

I read this thread with an interest in changing to wet tumbling. I looked hard at the FART being sold by Cabelas ($149.99 + free shipping) but with a shop full of metal working tools I would rather build one myself.

A couple of questions regarding materials and where to buy them:

Where to buy 6" PVC pipe and fittings?

Where to buy stainless steel pins and what is the best size. I'll probably decap first but don't want to worry about pins jamming in the primer pockets yet I would like to have the primer pockets cleaned also. Is there a size that will clean small primer pockets but won't jam in it?

Having a single car garage as a shop with a Bridgeport mill, 13x40 lathe, surface grinder, multiple toolboxes, cabinets and a workbench makes real estate for a wet tumbler nonexistent so I'm looking at using the lathe as the power source. I'll have to weld up a sub chassis that will set on the lathe ways and run the lathe at 70 rpm.

Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pounds-Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins-5lb-047-x-255-Made-in-USA-/181754776749

http://www.bullseye-reloading.com/Pellet-Pins-Tumbling-Media.html

Two cheapest I found with a quick look. Pick your poison, both with free shipping. You need about five pounds with the FART, more if you build a bigger container.

I've read the other threads and gleaned info from them. If I use my lathe as the power source I'll have to fab a one off roller chassis. I'm still not convinced that the lathe is the way to go.

Where to buy the pins?

I don't think using the lathe is good idea. I have a lathe of the same size, but its motor is huge, and I would have to use up its resource driving something, that a $50 motor from ebay can do.

In addition to wearing out that expensive lather motor, you will also wear out the gears.

I too have plenty of machinery in my shop, but a self-contained, and compact tumbler, is the way to go.

Edited by Foxbat

Would anybody with a FART do me a favor and give me some measurements of the tumbler as it sits ready to tumble? Need length, height and depth. Also the the same measurements for the bottle alone and the drive unit alone.

I'm trying to free up some space in my already crowded shop to store it.

Thanks,

Pat

I had been looking at various plans on the internet and about ready to start ordering parts when this thread started. When I saw the price on Cabelas and added in the $20 coupon, decided there was no way I could build one for that price. Throw in another $30 or so in Cabelas credits, and it was a no brainer.

Edited by PiratePast40

I had been looking at various plans on the internet and about ready to start ordering parts when this thread started. When I saw the price on Cabelas and added in the $20 coupon, decided there was no way I could build one for that price. Throw in another $30 or so in Cabelas credits, and it was a no brainer.

$20 coupon? Where can I find this? Thanks!

Looking at my receipt (10/30), they called it "Cabela Bucks". They rotate these and that one must have expired since I don't see it now. If it wasn't for someone mentioning it on one of the posts, I wouldn't have known about it.The current promotion is free shipping for orders over $99, and it's valid thru 10/25.

Scratch the measurements, I ordered one.

Smart move. Yes, they can be built, and cheaper than buying one, but when you consider the time involved scrounging parts and doing the build, it's just one of those items most people buy. Especially considering the cost. The FA unit is well made, quite, and well thought out, with two differnt ends, one for tumbling, one for rinsing. For $150, I'd rather be doing something else. Like shooting or reloading, or web surfing, or watching John Wick.

Pins aren't getting stuck in the flash hole, they're wedged sideways across the primer pocket. Length of the pin is the problem.

After searching the 'net it seems 0.047 x 0.255 is the preferred pin size.!

So are you saying that is the size I need to quit having the sideways pin stuck and stopping my reloading process or bending my decamping pin?? So frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk