Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Ears

hankdiesel

My biggest match screw up to date was at the Area 1 championship this year...Shooting a very loud open gun...

It was my stage to shoot first and I was ready to go, had my stage plan dialed in and was confident...the RO started the commands and realized the timer had an issue and stopped me before the buzzer, my last chance to realize I didn't have a plug in my left ear...for some reason it didnt hit me until I took my first shot that I forgot to put my left plug in...

Now I knew the rules that if an RO realized your hearing protection fell off he was to stop the shooter and give a re-shoot, but I didn't know I could stop myself and qualify for a re-shoot...A local club match I would have stopped myself anyway and taken the zero'd stage, but I was shooting a great match and didn't want to ruin it. All 32 rounds the only thing I could think about and concentrate on was my lack of hearing protection...and the ringing! Needless to say it was my worst stage of the match and my ears rang for days!

Hoping to pass on the knowledge to any shooter that forgets ear-pro and doesn't know they can stop themselves!

I stopped myself - the buzzer went off, I went for my gun (fortunately I'm old and

slow), so in the 10 seconds it took for me to get my first shot off, I realized my

muffs were on top of my head, but NOT on my ears.

Thought the RO should have stopped me, but he didn't, so I did.

Not about to fire 25 - 32 shots of 9mm major without muffs - I'd take a zero

if necessary. This is Just a Game, right?

Anyway, he did allow me to start again, with my muffs on my ears. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

5.4.2 If a Range Officer deems that a competitor about to make an attempt at a course of fire is wearing inadequate eye or hearing protection, the Range Officer may order the competitor to rectify the situation before allowing the competitor to continue. The Range Master is the final authority on this matter.

5.4.3 If a Range Official notices that a competitor has lost or displaced their eye or hearing protection during a course of fire, or has commenced a course of fire without either one, the Range Official must immediately stop the competitor who will be required to reshoot the course of fire after the protective devices have been restored.

5.4.4 A competitor who inadvertently loses eye or hearing protection during a course of fire, or commences a course of fire without either one, is entitled to stop, point their handgun in a safe direction and indicate the problem to the Range Official, in which case the provisions of the previous rule will apply.

My biggest match screw up to date was at the Area 1 championship this year...Shooting a very loud open gun...

It was my stage to shoot first and I was ready to go, had my stage plan dialed in and was confident...the RO started the commands and realized the timer had an issue and stopped me before the buzzer, my last chance to realize I didn't have a plug in my left ear...for some reason it didnt hit me until I took my first shot that I forgot to put my left plug in...

Now I knew the rules that if an RO realized your hearing protection fell off he was to stop the shooter and give a re-shoot, but I didn't know I could stop myself and qualify for a re-shoot...A local club match I would have stopped myself anyway and taken the zero'd stage, but I was shooting a great match and didn't want to ruin it. All 32 rounds the only thing I could think about and concentrate on was my lack of hearing protection...and the ringing! Needless to say it was my worst stage of the match and my ears rang for days!

Hoping to pass on the knowledge to any shooter that forgets ear-pro and doesn't know they can stop themselves!

I was in your squad, Revolver Shooter, hope everything is back to normal. I can tell you, you looked to be in severe pain. We all learned a lesson that day.

Permanent hearing loss is not worth winning a match.

The rule to allow a competitor to stop if there is a problem with their safety equipment is there for a reason, so a shooter doesn't feel obligated to shoot a stage missing ppe.

Your health and well being should be more important than any stage win or match.

I was in your squad, Revolver Shooter, hope everything is back to normal. I can tell you, you looked to be in severe pain. We all learned a lesson that day.

Yea everything is back to normal...I don't think I have any permanent damage...

You have not noticed it yet but you do have permanent damage. If you were tested prior to the match and then tested a couple of weeks after the match you would see a definite decrease in some of your frequencies. It may not be a lot but I would bet at least a 10 to 20% loss in some of the higher frequencies.

• 4 weeks later...

Been there... Circa 1990 we were shooting an IPSC event at Wes Thompson's (the range where the Steel Challenge used to be held). One stage required all rounds to be fired from within a vehicle while seated and the prop was an old gutted 1950s truck cab with nothing in it but a bench seat.

While making ready it did not strike me why I could hear the RO so perfectly, and as the start buzzer went off, realized my ear plugs were not in place. For some reason, completed the stage anyways...about a dozen rounds of .38 Super major fired inside that giant kettle drum. Ouch. You only tend to make that mistake once.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never done it but I came close. Running my open gun. Hybrid with 12 small ports and a comp. very loud with 11gn of n105!! Stepped to the line and when I racked the slide I thought "that sounded funny". Then it hit me. No muffs on! That would have been painful. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot my ears ONCE while in a support by fire position while active in the Army and learned a very valuable life lesson. That lesson carried over to my civilian shooting days, as you learn to appreciate your hearing as you get older! I find now that instead of forgetting hearing pro, I forget to change my batteries and always seem to get that audible and irritating "beeping" at the most inopportune times, usually when I'm trying to really focus on a shot or multiple shots!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you really know you have done damage when it stops hurting. With the electronic hearing protection that is available today there is really no reason to be without it. I know the really small, digital stuff is expensive but it is well worth the investment to save the ears.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea everything is back to normal...I don't think I have any permanent damage...

Well, there are those that would say that the act of shooting a match is a sign of brain damage......and your 'normal' is questionable.

:D

Did that in my second major quite a few years back...only been shooting for about two years...did not know the rules then either...shot the 32 round stage with about 10 shots inside a "house" at the end...now I know the rules...

• 2 months later...

Whoflungdo, Rolling your ankle is not considered a safety hazard, your stage should have been scored as shot. I just don't want you to find this out at a major.

Started a stage once with one ear plug rotated out a bit. Timer went off and I thought "Wow, that was louder than normal". Luckily the stage had about a 10 foot run before I started shooting so i was able to crank the ear plug in on the run, then draw. Probably slowed me down a little bit, but I thought it went rather smooth, lol. I have video somewhere.

"A local club match I would have stopped myself anyway and taken the zero'd stage, but I was shooting a great match and didn't want to ruin it."

When a game is more important than a lifetime of permanent hearing damage. There's a lesson here kids.

I'm old.

My ears ring

A lot...ears ringing...loud

All the time

Day and night

Rnging. Ringing. Ringing

They ring SO LOUD, it distorts speech so I say "huh", "what" and "can you talk louder"

Sorry, but the OP's ear is officially fubar. he should go get a hearing test to see how much is lost. Oh, once weakened, the cilia are damaged easier and easier (think bending a paperclip, first bend is hard, subsequent bends get easier until it snaps)

I really thing all open ported shooters should plug and muff...or buy stock in a hearing aide company. Same with ROs when open shooters come to the line.

Edited by johnbu