Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Retired! (As of ~ 2000Z today)

ChuckS

Both Chuck and I retired from Aerospace on the same day. I got him by 2 hours because I left at lunch. But I stated practicing by not coming until 8:30am and leaving at 1pm for the last 2 months, and taking a few sicks days, didn't want to be overcome by the sudden shock of going to full stop.

Retirement Report, Day One, Monday, September 21.

0700 hours: wake up, reload for 1 hour. Haven't woke up at 0700 hours for 43 years........

0800 hours: Breakfast

0830 hours: Surf and post until 0930

0930 hours: shower, shave, selfie haircut, number 1, high and tight

1000 hours: head off to bank, post office, notary public

1030 hours: lunch with wife and daugthters

1130 hours: head back to bank, them home base

1200 hours: 2 hour nap with puppies, Yea!

1400 hours: wake up, let Terminex guy in back yard to spray for bugs

1430 hours: call stockbroker to discuss market and talk about buying vacation home rentals

1500 hours: sick of stock market, surf internet for vacation properties

1600 hours: Cocktail hour! head to pool for drink and cigar

1700 hours: think about changing oil on the truck, suddenly remember the First Rule, never do serious work after cocktail hour, especially with power tools or hot liquids, decide to put it off for a week, or 2

1800 hours: post update

Retirement Report, Day One, Monday, September 21.

0700 hours: wake up, reload for 1 hour. Haven't woke up at 0700 hours for 43 years........

0800 hours: Breakfast

0830 hours: Surf and post until 0930

0930 hours: shower, shave, selfie haircut, number 1, high and tight

1000 hours: head off to bank, post office, notary public

1030 hours: lunch with wife and daugthters

1130 hours: head back to bank, them home base

1200 hours: 2 hour nap with puppies, Yea!

1400 hours: wake up, let Terminex guy in back yard to spray for bugs

1430 hours: call stockbroker to discuss market and talk about buying vacation home rentals

1500 hours: sick of stock market, surf internet for vacation properties

1600 hours: Cocktail hour! head to pool for drink and cigar

1700 hours: think about changing oil on the truck, suddenly remember the First Rule, never do serious work after cocktail hour, especially with power tools or hot liquids, decide to put it off for a week, or 2

1800 hours: post update

Dude, classic task loading. Slow down...

I retired Nov 1st 2011 after 40 years in Law Enforcement.

I do get to see some of the guys when they stop me for speeding, etc.

Man, you guys get up way to early; I get up at 0930, except on Match days.........................

Like Pat said, best job ever................

Went hiking with the wife at the Laguna Wilderness Thursday

post-400-0-68457100-1443238019_thumb.jpg

Diving at Catalina Island today

post-400-0-57722600-1443238034_thumb.jpg

Ran into an old shooting buddy on the boat (John Flenz)

Pretty good first week. I think I will re-up for another...

Edited by ChuckS

]getting jealous reading this posts... We decided we want to be financially independent with the ability to retire whenever we want. I really like my job but can't say the same about the Mrs. so even though I'm younger in the market (31ish and had med school to deal with so started late) We're socking away as much money into retirement as we can. working on learning how to invest in the market, too. I think this financial foray might hurt the gun budget short term but really make it happen long term.

Any tips or ideas or things I should be reading to catch up/get ahead?

Edited by steviesterno

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

]getting jealous reading this posts... We decided we want to be financially independent with the ability to retire whenever we want. I really like my job but can't say the same about the Mrs. so even though I'm younger in the market (31ish and had med school to deal with so started late) We're socking away as much money into retirement as we can. working on learning how to invest in the market, too. I think this financial foray might hurt the gun budget short term but really make it happen long term.

Any tips or ideas or things I should be reading to catch up/get ahead?

"The Millionaire Next Door", 1998, by Thomas Stanley, PhD and William Danko, PhD

The book is 17 years old, but while the dollar amounts are dated, the concepts are not. These two researchers don't present a get rich quick scheme: what they did was to apply research protocol designed questionnaires and interviews to first generation self made millionaires to find some basic characteristics and approaches to wealth building that anybody with some common sense and a little discipline can apply over time.

I recommend it to anybody who is serious about making themselves financially secure.