Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated vs. Plated

ES13Raven

I agree with the above that you need less powder to get to the same velocity, and in many cases they are more accurate. I also like coated more because most manufactures have a sizing option available. Makes it easier to slug your barrel and order the appropriate size. Probably what makes them more accurate.

Edited by dave33

I switched to ACME's coated bullets last February and in most of my guns I am getting groups as good and in some cases better than jacketed. I am not going back to plated or jacketed as long as they are in business. Less powder, more accurate and just as clean shooting.

Besides lower cost, do coated bullets (Bayou, BBI, IbejiHeads etc.) have any advantages over plated or HPCB bullets?

I hate plated bullets due to poor and inconsistent accuracy in my experience. Bayou bullets on the other hand are cast bullets with a hard coating that don't smoke. Whats not to like. More accurate and cheaper. I would rather shoot cast lead than plated.

Pat

I started out using berrys plated but wasn't thrilled with the accuracy. Started following some of bowenbuilts posts and tried both acme and blue bullets (aje turned me on to those after seeing him tear up some stages). Right now through trial and error I'm set on blue bullets in 147 gr 9mm and 180 gr in 40, both using vvn320. For 124 gr I actually prefer the acme lipstick bullets over titegroup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using plated right now. The coated are very appealing because of the price and less powder usage.

How do you come up with load data? I've seen no coated loads in loading manuals.

I've heard people say that they can be harder to load. What precautions need to be taken with coated?

Why do bayou bullets have a groove? From what I understand, you don't use lube. Does it affect anything?

Edited by LeviSS

I'm using plated right now. The coated are very appealing because of the price and less powder usage.

How do you come up with load data? I've seen no coated loads in loading manuals.

I've heard people say that they can be harder to load. What precautions need to be taken with coated?

Why do bayou bullets have a groove? From what I understand, you don't use lube. Does it affect anything?

Use cast lead load data, after all that is what you are shooting, cast lead with a thin layer of lube all around it instead of a groove full of it. Coated lead usually runs just a tick slower than straight lead so sometimes you need an extra tenth of a grain of powder to get the same velocity of straight lead. You load them just like cast lead, a little extra bell on the case mouth so you dont shave the coating, no crimp, just remove the flair.

The coated lead with lube grooves is simply a case of the bullet manufacturer using a mold designed for traditional lube, it doesnt really affect anything load wise. The newer designs that dont have a groove are really to benefit the guys doing the coating. They have less angles to work around and are therefore easier to coat. I use both groove and groove-less designs, both with excellant results.

With so many companies to choose from you can get just about any color you want. I find this easy to control what loads I'm using just by looking at the rounds. Eggleston munitions has the most colors. Bayou shoot great, along with Blue Bullets. Xtreme makes a find jacketed round and Acme makes a decent red color (LIPSTICK) bullet.

I'm sure there are more companies out there. The biggest difference is the cost of shipping.

After doing alot of testing I've found coated bullets have less smoke than lead and shoot better than the jacketed bullets I've been trying. They seem to grab the rifling better. Also, my barrel is much cleaner with no leading in it at the velocities I'm using ( usually making minor)

Maybe it's the gun. Mine has a very tight chamber and the best I've shot through it so far have been the Xtreme plated.

No smell...no smoke. I've heard about accuracy problems, but my testing hasn't shown that at all.

One small benefit is that I can reuse them if I have to pull them and I haven't been able to with coated. That hasn't been much of an issue since I switched presses though.

The Xtreme and coated all shoot pretty much the same out of my gun, at least within my capability to shoot them (not counting some problems I had with one brand).

I'm willing to switch for greater than 10% price shipped though, if they aren't objectionable to me...so right now, it's Lucky 13 powder coated (approx. 20%).

A local gunsmith told me he could get me precision slightly cheaper in quantities of 3000, so I might check them out when I get close to running out.

I'm not sponsored, so I have no reason to be brand loyal.

Just use cast bullet loading data. As for why they have a groove they are just molds from cast bullets so older shapes are retained. Not needed but it does not hurt anything either.

Pat

• 4 months later...