Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Survey

Reshoot

I voted maybe in the poll but after reading this thread I'm actually very interested in it. I'm shooting open with an STI but I wouldn't mind shooting my Glock 17L with an optic. If USPSA is listening please make the final rules broad enough to include non-polymer guns. We would love to shoot CZ and tanfoglio in something other than just open.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CZCUSTOM are producing 'Carry Optics' ready polymer guns and they seem to be more invested in the division than Glock or S&W.

So maybe the driving force for CO is CZ and not Glocks or S&W...hmmmmmm...conspiracy theorist against Glock and S&W just got shot a hole in theory...

So maybe the driving force for CO is CZ and not Glocks or S&W...hmmmmmm...conspiracy theorist against Glock and S&W just got shot a hole in theory...

When it comes from a publicly posted statement from the President. I dont think it really qualifies as a conspiracy...

As was pointed out publicly, " talked with S&W, Glock, and Springfield, and that they were not going to continue to support us at the same levels, largely due to the perception that their guns were no longer competitive in Production."

I have indeed talked with a number of representatives of these companies, and there are concerns that Production has become a division that cannot remain realistically competitive without a heavier pistol. As the trends have undoubtedly been favoring the heavy, metal framed pistols (some refer to them as Limited Minor pistols), their concerns are valid. With that said, some of these manufacturers have mentioned lessening their support of USPSA (not just at Nationals). Do I think that we would loose them completely? Probably not. Do I see a validity in their argument? Yes.

Edited by tarosean

As soon as my extra 229 slide gets back from L and M I'll be shooting CO regularly. My 229 is my duty/off duty gun and the Chief is allowing me to carry the optic on duty. I'm really looking forward to this division.

@racerba. When the initial proposed weight in CO was 31 oz. and CZs failed to meet division weight requirements I think maybe the conspiracy theorists were right. With the change to 35 oz. that said it is not the pistol that makes a winner. It is the skill of the shooter, hard work and training.

Shot CO last night in a 3 stage "practice" match in Miami. Had a blast.

Shot 87% Alphas

61 Alphas

5 Bravos

5 Charlies

1 Delta

There were 3 head shot only targets hence the 5 Bravos. Pretty hard to aim at the upper A-Zone at an outdoor night match, yes there was lighting, but nothing like daytime.

It is the skill of the shooter, hard work and training.

I disagree...I think those that practice the least are the best shooter...no need to work hard or train...it's very over-rated...

Edited by racerba

I have not really been in favor of this division for a few reasons but I have been thinking about just trying to see. The issue I have is that while it is provisional I can shoot a Level I, and that is great, I can't shoot it at a Level II or higher match. For me that means that I really won't shoot it since I practice and shoot locals in order to prepare for bigger matches. No sense wasting my time shooting a gun that has a completely different sight system compared to what I am going to shoot at a Level II or bigger.

I have not really been in favor of this division for a few reasons but I have been thinking about just trying to see. The issue I have is that while it is provisional I can shoot a Level I, and that is great, I can't shoot it at a Level II or higher match. For me that means that I really won't shoot it since I practice and shoot locals in order to prepare for bigger matches. No sense wasting my time shooting a gun that has a completely different sight system compared to what I am going to shoot at a Level II or bigger.

I totally agree, we are shooting CO locally but for a few level 2's later this year we are shooting Open Minor

Not a good situation but only thing I can do. Now if there was no weight restriction I could shoot the Shadow in CO and Production

Edited by zhunter

what happens when they make it a real division and it's at all level II/III matches? You'll be many months behind those who have been shooting it from the beginning ....

if they didn't have the weight limit I would have setup my Production Shadow with a red dot & not looked back. If the division got canned I'd worry about that when it happened .... can't plan my life around what 'might' happen in the future ..... The Walking Dead might be right & the Zombie Apocalypse might be just around the corner .... you'll want a lot of practice with a red dot if that's the case .... :)

what happens when they make it a real division and it's at all level II/III matches? You'll be many months behind those who have been shooting it from the beginning ....

if they didn't have the weight limit I would have setup my Production Shadow with a red dot & not looked back. If the division got canned I'd worry about that when it happened .... can't plan my life around what 'might' happen in the future ..... The Walking Dead might be right & the Zombie Apocalypse might be just around the corner .... you'll want a lot of practice with a red dot if that's the case .... :)

When they make it a real division (if) then I will might try it more seriously. I am not worried about bieing "months behind". Besides like you said I am not going to plan around what might happen and I don't want to spend the off season shooting a dot only to change back to irons. Would make more sense to wait to see what happens.

I think it's open for Level 2 and higher next year; Keeping it Level 1 for this year should allow some classifier data to be gathered which they will probably need for the Level 2 and upwards. I'm shooting my Carry Optics setup at the CO state match this weekend as Open/Minor.

If I didn't live in crappy CA and could get the gun I want, stupid CA DOJ roster, then I'd already have a CO gun. Would I move to it full time? For personal goal reasons not right now. Would I still shoot it once and a while in a match or in a generic action pistol match for fun, sure thing! I've never had fun shooting an open gun, but I have had fun shooting these types of gun when I've borrowed one.

I would assume a lot of factors contribute to why we don't see masses shooting Carry Optics, for one we're middle of a shooting season. I had my Open pistol almost 6 months before I started shooting open seriously, the biggest reason why I didn't start shooting it at matches is for one I was seriously invested in shooting all my major matches for that year in production. Doesn't make sense to waste valuable time and effort to play around with something else if I am being serious about shooting certain division through out the year. The other issue is not everyone that shoots USPSA is a internet junkie, we have what 25,000 members? How many of those members get their news from BrianEnos or the USPSA forums? Very few I would imagine, so we need to just have more shooter education about the subject. Also Ics Brought up a good point, how many people have a pistol that's already converted to a CO? I own maybe 3 or 4 pistols that use a slide mounted reddot, None of them are legal for the Current CO rules. (Single action, to heavy, permanent frame mods, etc ) And the reality is the Carry Optics kind of came out of no where, I know I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon considering the first proposal for Production optics was completely shot down.

Right now, I'm pretty heavily invested into production as I just bought a CZ-75 LS-P, So I don't see shooting CO this year, but I have a Glock 34 MOS coming from glock and do have a wealth of Mini reddots. If I can make it out to more then one USPSA match a month I might try it out, and if I like it I might continue and shoot it as a side division until we get the Weight limit remove, or if I can find a Semi-Compact CZ-75

Edited by DocMedic

I don't want to build get another platform to keep up with. I am classified in all divisions, but have only shot limited and single stack for a while. I figure if you are going to use a dot then go open. The divisions were created then the shooter who wanted it started to cry the didn't like the rules. They seemed to be expecting open rules with no comp. Just my take on the whole thing.

Mike

I'll toss a dovetail mount on a G17, screw down a spare Docter sight and give it a whirl.

Already ahead of you, Mr. Bill, at least with the G17, dovetail mount, and spare Docter. Now, I just need to take my new welfare open gun for a spin at a match. Despite the optic, I think 10 rounds is probably still going to suck. [emoji317]
Are you guys saying I need to have that division up and running this month?

It sure would be nice if HQ had sent any information at all about it to the club contacts. They seem to be able to charge my credit card for activity fees and send me the the receipt for it so I'm pretty sure they know who I am, would have been nice to be told it's officially a go, you know I read it on the Internet isn't always the best way to gather official information.

If not this month then next month for sure. By then I'll have my welfare optic set up and ready to roll. Heck with Gary and bill already in we might have a quorum by the end of the year.

Right now it seems to be harder to find a good sight at a reasonable price than it is a gun.

not to mention spending the price of the gun all over again.

For posting as much as you do you are surprisingly unhelpful.

Right now it seems to be harder to find a good sight at a reasonable price than it is a gun.

Yep, a lot of haters following this thread. I hope Rob Leatham doesn't see it, and sell his CO pistol. :roflol:

And here I was going to ignore this thread and you were rude again. Thin skin for sure.

I'll try again,. Enjoy the new division

Yep, a lot of haters following this thread. I hope Rob Leatham doesn't see it, and sell his CO pistol. :roflol:
Sell a gun!?! That's against the law isn't it?