Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Survey

Reshoot

I have shot three level 1 matches since the division rules were published.

First match: 35 shooters, 0 production optics contestants.

Second match: 62 shooters, 0 production optics contestants.

Third match: 32 shooters, 0 production optics contestants.

Is it just too early? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Besides a few posts on the USPSA web-site, the organization has done little to publicize this new division. Is there a marketing plan in place to reach out to new and existing members and manufacturers ? Will there be an extensive write-up on the new division in Front Sight ? Are there any plans for a major match centered around Carry Optics in 2016 ?

Are there any plans for a major match centered around Carry Optics in 2016 ?

That's an interesting question. As you may recall, I have long been suggesting that y'all carry-optics enthusiasts start putting together some matches. If y'all *don't* do that, then it will validate my main objection to the division.

Out of 34 registered shooters so far for this coming weekends match we have 2 signed up. There was no notice or announcement. I suspect we will have about 5. We had 3, but one had to withdraw do to an injury. It will be very popular in my area

Is it just too early? Inquiring minds want to know!

Actually, due to HQ dragging their heals in announcing the Division designation for scoring purposes, this coming weekend is the first official collection of scores

Sounds about right!

I plan to start shooting CO after the High Desert Classic ends.

I am hoping some additional guns get listed:

· S&W Performance Center Ported CORE with a non-ported barrel note

· Glock MOS

In my area, the exclusionary rule set is a major roadblock to participation. In our group of 25-50 shooters there are at least 10 optics equipped Carry Pistols in our group and none, zero are CO legal under the current exclusionary rule set most are over stippled, over machined or not yet listed.

I am committed to shooting this in the provisional period and pushing for the rules to be opened up to reflect the pre-existing class of pistols already in use by shooters as EDC pistols before the train wreck of an exclusionary rule set the BOD passed.

For all the “haters” of CO I want to know how many of you:

· Joined USPSA 1990 or before

· Since 1990 have NEVER shot any of the new divisions ( Limited, L10, SS, Revolver , Production)

· Hold no classification in any division except Open

Unless all of the points above are true you have no right to judge or hate on a new or provisional division. Because guess what if those of us that have been here since 1990 had your attitude their would still be just one division.

Edited by 2011BLDR

I joined in 1986 and have shot and classified in Open; Limited; L-10; and Production. Would not describe myself as a "hater" I just don't have an interest in shooting my EDC gun with an optic. I shoot primarily in Open because I like the "action" in that division plus I don't need to line up sights;)

Since the announcement of CO, it didn't take long for "suggestions" to improve this provisional division to make CO into an "Open Lite" division (add more weight, increase mag capacity). I guess all those stats about EDC guns are showing up more often helped to name this provisional division.

If you like it, shoot it. If you don't like it, tolerate it. Don't have to rain on their parade.

I plan to shoot it as soon as...

1) My gun gets back from L&M Precision, and

2) I find a local match where I can shoot it

I cant see the front sight anymore, even with FO, and cant afford an open gun...This is letting me get back to shooting for the cost of the RDS / labor and a gun I already have.

Zero plans to shoot it so long as my eyes work fine. It was a stroke of monumental stupidity to whore out to Glock and S&W by writing the rules to cater to their mainstream products, when the right answer would have been Production rules + a slide mounted optic between the ejection port and the back of the slide.

I do hope that the CZ P-09 ends up dominating the class. Then maybe Glock and S&W can again threaten to remove their non-existing support.

Edited by elguapo

I voted that I'll participate.

But - because of the goofy rules, I'm several months out on having a Glock slide milled for an RMR. Yes I could go with a dovetail, but I'm finishing the season in Production then I'll try PO.

Stupid question. How do match officials enter CO scores in EZwin? Has it been updated to segregate CO scores?

The only hesitation I have is I don't want to create extra work for the already over worked match officials

You need to add one more option to your poll.

"I would shoot CO if my CZ/Tanfo were legal."

We can only hope the President who chairs the next BoD meeting allows all production guns, renames CO to Production Optics

I still don't get all the .... "well my eyes still work so I'm not shooting a dot" crowd .... while it certainly is a way for folks who can't see irons any more to continue to play, that is not the primary reason Production Optics was suggested ... it's like all the Bovine Scatology I here about Steel Challenge only being for old, fat cripped people who can't shoot USPSA any more ...

One thing is for sure, once you pick up a dot gun you will most likely find it hard to go back to irons ....

that is not the primary reason Production Optics was suggested .

What was the reason??? Esp. considering none of the production pistols with the capability are even NROI legal...

While I admit I was not interested when the news broke... I have been pondering about a indoor shoot that I occasionally shoot. Where the lighting is so bad that you cannot see your front sights. Just not sure I want to buy or customize a pistol just for that match I shoot a handful of times a year..

I still don't get all the .... "well my eyes still work so I'm not shooting a dot" crowd .... while it certainly is a way for folks who can't see irons any more to continue to play, that is not the primary reason Production Optics was suggested ... it's like all the Bovine Scatology I here about Steel Challenge only being for old, fat cripped people who can't shoot USPSA any more ...

One thing is for sure, once you pick up a dot gun you will most likely find it hard to go back to irons ....

I don't really care why CO exists. Its reason for being is irrelevant to me. I shoot what I like.

And if you think I don't have/haven't fired pistols and rifles with dot sights, think again.