Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converted, or True Blue ???

hopalong

I stared this "action pistol" shooting in 2001 with a Limited gun and shot it until November 2003 when I Switched over to the Revolver and have shot it almost EXCLUSIVELY since.

I was wondering about everyone else???

I was able to put MOST of what I learned with an Autoblaster toward using the Wheelblaster aside from the obvious differences (reloads, stage breakdown, trigger stroke ect) the basics seem to be pretty much the same.

So I am in the "Converted" catagory.

Maybe a Poll???

Hopalong

I have used only revolvers since 1975, I didnt shoot in IDPA till 2003, There i piddled with autos but shot only revolvers in major matches. Started shooting IPSC and using autos more. But my love is still for the revolver ;) We had informal matches at county range every weekend for 20 yrs...imigane the 9mm being beat by a 454.45-70, and 450 marlin mag. :P now that i compete my guns are bunny fart guns :ph34r:

true blue

Frederick Haring

Since I am not a dedicated "wheelman", I will give you my competition revolver evolution to date in chronological order even though it represents only a small portion of my total shooting experience.

S&W 686 6 inch-modified centerfire bullseye type match

S&W 617 6 inch-modified rimfire bullseye type match

S&W 66 3 inch-IDPA SSR

S&W 646 4 inch-USPSA Revolver

S&W 610 4 inch-USPSA Revolver

At the end of this month I will shoot my first ICORE match with my 610.

As to true blue or convert, I don't know, but I've shot them off and on for years.

TRUE BLUE

I started racoon hunting in 1970 with a buddy and my Ruger bearcat. Carried a S&W model 10 in the first PD I worked on and eventually grew to a model 19.

Competed in local Police matches with the 19, then on to PPC with the 19 and eventually a model 14. I broke down and had the S&W Model 14 converted to a PPC gun and did that until PPC died in this area.

Stopped competing for some time. I was introduced to action pistol in 2000. Tried it with my 1911 but went back to my revolver.

IDPA in SSR with a speed loader gun, then to moon clip, and I have stayed with a 625 in IDPA and USPSA.

This year, I will concentrate on USPSA revolver and see how it turns out. As long as my knees hold out I will continue to show up with the revolver. If and when I shoot IDPA I will use some type of bottom feeder.

Regards,

Even though severely scolded :D by my revolver shooting friend Hopalong, I must say that I am converted, and then converted again. Repeat.

I really enjoy shooting both bottom feeder and the wheelgun. Although my handgun experience started as a cop some 30 years ago with a Model 19 with a 4 inch barrel (still wish I had that gun <_< ), it has been the autoloader that brought me back to shooting about 5 years ago when introduced to steel plate shooting and a short time later, IPSC.

I have been able to encourage several of our club members to shoot their revolvers and just yesterday three or four of us decided that the next club match we would all shoot revolvers.

dj

Convert - first handgun I ever owned was a surplus Walther P1 (Alloy frame P38). Began playing with .45 ACP revos as a diversion for semiautos shooting the same load. Past couple years, the revo comes out more often than the bottomfeeders (despite the fact that my times with a bottom feeder is twice as fast)

Started with 1911's (Commander, Priemer II, CQB)

Started IDPA with 4"625.

Bought 5" 625 and 627 V-Comp for USPSA and ICORE (thanks to the new IDPA regulations)

Definately in the "Converted" category although the 1911's are a fun workout now and again.

Convert .....

Started with a Tanfoglio 9mm

Went to 6" 586 shot it almost exclusively for 12 mths

Sold it & bought 2 x 627 V-Comps .357

Sold 1 & bought my current 627.38 Super

I also have a Briley Platemaster for steel .... owned it 18mths shot it 4 times

Shot a semi - major steel match recently here in oz with the 1911 and shot slower times than if I had of shot the 627. GO FIGURE. ;)

BUT MY HEART BELONGS TO THE REVO..... :wub:

Converted, but the other way around. Started shooting revolvers in competition back in the 1970's in PPC. Used Power Custom PPC guns built n meodel 10 Smiths back when he did the work. Then I shot some National Shooter's League stuff before going to NRA Action Pistol all with Power Custom Revolvers on .38 Special and .44 Special. I quit shooting in the early 1990's.

Then I ran into a guy in a gun store and he invited me to shoot some IPSC. I only owned a couple of "defensive" guns at the time. My back country model 29 Smith and a 2 1/2 inch Model 19. So I bought a 1911 and discovered the world of the auto loader.

Went back to a revolver for one season, but even after a 10 year break from the wheelguns, I got bored and wanted to try some high zoot bottom feeding Open blasters. I have a 25-2 sitting on the bench in pieces waiting for me to once again see the light. :P

Frankly, I love revolvers and I think they are well suited to Action Pistol, PPC, Steel Challenge, etc. But with the IPSC crowd wanting high round count courses, I am just not dedicated enough to the wheelgun to give up the big stick hose whores.

Hi. My name is Jon and I am a revolverholic. I got started shooting as an adult by a retired New York transit cop who carried Model 10s for 20 years. He took me down to a Seattle sporting goods shop and helped me pick out an Official Police that was from the old Boeing security force ($125). The trigger on that gun almost made me quit. I then picked up a Model 14 out of a pawn shop. There was a prettier one there (eventually purchased by a guy name Smithnut), but, the owner said I wanted the other one. It was a true "one inch" gun at 25 yards (when someone else was shooting it). I picked up a 17 to practice the pull with as I didn't reload (my one great idea in life). I just assumed all guns were that good. I eventually sold both (doh!). But before I did, I fell in with a group in Everett that put on plate and abbreviated Action Pistol matches (indoor). It is still the most fun I have had shooting. Someone then told me about ipsick. As I was just about to have a hip replacement, I bought a 625 to have an extra cushion on the trigger for safety when I played that game. THEN I went and saw my first match. Something was missing in my calculations. About 2 rounds. So I went 1911 and high cap limited but I kept the 625. I just loved the gun. Eventually, I figured out I wasn't going to win anyway and that I just plain got more satisfaction out of shooting a revolver, and, I happen to like moonclips. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. A revolver shooter from rebirth. :rolleyes:

DaJerrell,

There is still hope for you !!!! ;)

I haven't given up on you yet !!!!! :)

Haven't counted but is seems a few more TRUE BLUE Wheel blasters than CONVERTED

Keep the input coming... there are several others that need to put their .02 cents worth in.

Hop

I shot only revolvers before I started competing. My M-10 and L and N frame Smiths were all traded or sold years back. The M-10 is the one that I really miss. A guy that can tear-up a course with a stock K-frame has my respect. I still own single-action Rugers and a DA snub, but I don't have a single revolver for matches. The more I think about it, the more I miss them.

Don't know what i would be classified as. Started shooting "Combat Poistol Matches" In the mid 70's. There we were able to shoot both divisions. that was Revovler and Semi Automatics. I just liked the Revo. But have shot the "Brick", S&W Model 59. In the 80's I got the L frame. Did you know that you can wear a revolver out? Wore everthing out in the gun except the barrel. At the First IRC in 1992 it finally gave up with the yoke breaking and finished the match using a buddy's L frame set up similar to mine. I think in the last 5 years I shot a Semi Auto twice, when my modified 27 eight shot went in for repairs. Just this last year I have been shooting the 25 so I could get classified in Revo in USPSA. I got a B card shooting C scores. Well my meds are wearing off better stop my ramblin so color me BLUE if not true.

Started out with a Hi-Standard double nine back in the late 60's in my Air Force days in Texas, then picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag, they were selling for $87.50, then found a used 4" 41 mag for $100. Next up was a new, model 29 in the presentation case for $165, that was a LOT of money in 1968. Shot my first autos with the base pistol team, they issued each of us a model 41 S&W auto, a match wadcutter gun and a hardball gun. I would check out the wadcutter gun on weekends along with free ammo and took a lot of turtles, armadillos, raccoons & whatever else got in the way! BUT, I've always been a revolver man.

Dick

Started out shooting revolvers 30 plus years ago. Never shot an automatic until I was almost 30. Then started "Combat Shooting" in the mid 80's and bought a 1911 to shoot that. That was the only bottom feeder I had until I started shooting IPSC again in '96 and IDPA in 98. I've got almost as many bottom feeders as I do roundguns now, but last year started shooting revolvers almost exclusively. I still enjoy shooting my 1911s and my Hi-Powers, but just seem to keep going back to my round guns, both single and double action.

I guess that puts me in the true blue category, with an occasional straying to the dark side.

Jerry

COF I here you. Is there a "Born Again" column?

At 16 bought and sold Revolvers like no tommorrow, Had a single 1911 compared to 10 Revo's. Even had a 3 1/2" M27 and a converted m1917 (to 45 Colt, the long one). Still have a M28.

Then in the late 70's found Combat Shooting, and it was Heads Up only, started reading Cooper and was lured into the chapel of Bottomfeeders by the siren of competition.

Occassionally pulled out the M28 and shot a local match.

Went to the Nationals 3 times, Bianchi Cup once and made Master (before the advent of GM) with a HiCap/Comped/Iron Sighted Bottomfeeder (after optics became hot).

Became SC, Gun Club President then Burnt out, dropped out and spaced out for 5 years.

Came back with Ltd 10, shot a little Revo with the M28 but no big matches and I could never "Win" against the bottomfeeder courses. Finally, said "to heck with it" and bought a fine looking M29 4" had a FMC conversion and Action Job and started concentrating on Revo. Now have a PC625 and am trying to wean myself from the lure of the bottomfeeding/chain gun shell arching/hair on fire/cloud of dust match rush of the auto.

I have always !!LOVED REVOLVERS!! There I've said it, and I feel better.

But, the lure of competition she's a sweet one and she still calls.

Then there's the rush of a great course, with the Cylinder whirring and the reloads flying and the faces of the bottomfeeders vanquished that day. Must find our simple pleasures where we can.