Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converted, or True Blue ???

hopalong

I started shooting revolvers, bought a 1911 in 1997 after being convinced that "no one" shoots revolvers in USPSA. Shot a 1911 in USPSA then IDPA till 1999, then went back to the revolver.

After the S&W/HUd deal, I went and bought a Glock and shoot that some, it's quite fun.

Ted

Hopalong, put me down as a "True Blue" wheelman.

Growing up as a young kid there was a M10 hanging in my dad's duty holster in the downstairs closet whenever he wasn't working--at least until I could reach it. My grandfather (a retired police chief) occasionally carried his M36 (which I eventually inherited, along with his badge and Eagle Scout award) in a little Bucheimer belt rig on the authority of a "carry permit" that the mayor typed up for him after he retired (no CCW permits in Ohio back then). When I was about Sam's age, my dad carried that little chief's special in an ankle rig that he had an Amishman make for him out of scrap leather (you couldn't find one for sale anywhere around our area in the early '70s) as a back-up gun after one of the sergeants on the patrol got disarmed and locked in his trunk. Dad was also one of the first to wear a Second Chance vest after that--this was about the time the "officer survival" movement was getting started around the country.

One day when everybody was gone from the house, I figured out how to take the top drawer out of the filing cabinet, reach down into the bottom where the guns were locked up, and took the M36 out for a test-fire. One round of Super Vel off the back porch was enough to teach me those dang short-barreled guns are loud little suckers!! So anyway, the very first handgun I ever fired was a revolver--fortunately, I had been taught how to handle it safely from day one.

My own first handgun, after I was older and far more responsible, was a different M36, then a Security-Six, then a M38.

When I started competitive shooting in the '80s, I figured it had to be a .45 since that's what everybody was shooting, so I bought a stainless Colt Govt. Model (do a BEnos search on the word "Harpo" if you want to see a picture of it, and get a good laugh if you know what I look like these days). Didn't take long to switch back to a wheelgun, when I picked up a 25-2 at Riley's in Hooksett NH, which I found I shot much better on pins and plates. I still own that gun today, and in fact used it to shoot my first four classifiers when I took up IPSC shooting (again) when I returned to competitive shooting last year.

Over the years I've used all sorts of S&W revolvers in competition in various calibers: .22, .38, .357, .44, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP. I've never kept track of the number of rounds I've fired through my various fun guns, but I'm sure several of them are in the six-figure round count range by now. The Baumannize M27 is a favorite, purchased from Brian E. in '91 or '92, I forget which. My Shilen-barreled 25-2, one of the rare custom revolver projects of the late great John Nowlin himself, is also a real treasure.

Last year, after getting back into shooting again, I bought a M627 and flew out to California to shoot the Steel Challenge with it, just for the hell of it. This year I'm shooting IPSC with a M625-6, but I'm thinking about switching my old 25-2 back into the rotation, to get back some sight radius on long steel shots.

I also enjoy shooting 1911s, but mostly in single-stack matches (like Hopalong says, that's OK because it's "old school"!)--even when I shoot L-10, I sometimes use 8-round mags just for "keepin' it real." I own a Glock 34, since I thought I might want to try shooting Production sometime, but it just sits down there--I can't stand the trigger on the dang thing. (Thought about sending it to Charlie Vanek, but spent the money on a CR Speed rig for the 625 instead...) Really, the only semi-autos I truly like are good 1911s and Hamden military-grip High Standard .22s.

I even started out my kid on a revolver, a M10 skinny-barrel, and CompIII speedloaders. This past Sunday, though, he made the switch to my M646 so he could benefit from the ease of using moonclips--he's still getting used to it, but I think it will serve him very well at Area 3 and the Nationals (if we can get slots).

So I'd say "True Blue."

Mike

...started out with a Smith&Wesson Model 19 in 1974 or so...still have it, and a BUNCH of other "Roundguns"...compete mostly at IDPA and "Steel Challenge"-type matches, and I'm PROUD to say I have NEVER fired a Centerfire autoloader in either type of competition...altho' I HAVE fired my Ruger MKII in the "Steel" matches a few times...and yeah, I DO own a coupla' bottom-feeders...no, NOT lawyers...just so I can claim to be "Open-minded"...yeah, RIGHT!!!....mikey357

I shot my first IPSC Match in Puyallup Washington in 1983 using a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19. Although I have to admit that my .45 ACP was getting some custom work and I only stumbled upon the match because I went to the range to practice with my back up Model 19!!!! Since then I have shot 99% autos in matches but, occassionally I will break out the wheel gun (unfortunately that old model 19 is long gone) and shoot a match. Hopefully since we will be having a regular local ICORE match, I'll be shooting wheel guns more often.