Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Slide Lock Reload

Smitty79

I shoot a Shadow Custom (91030) On the occasional slide lock reload, I just slap in the new mag and the slide goes forward on it's own. I've heard that there is a problem with doing this. My Google Fu skills didn't turn up a reason.

I had lots of steel at today's match. Miss once or twice and you are at slide lock. On one of the reloads, I got a double feed jam that cost me 10 seconds to clear.

Why does autoforward happen? If it's bad, how do I avoid it?

Why wouldn't you want it to auto forward? It's certainly fast then having to hit the slide stop!

I'd love it to happen of I wasn't breaking things. I'm concerned that I'm doing damage to something by slamming the mag it.

Well one reason not to is the double feed. When I used to over stuff mags or slam them in at slide lock the same happened on 1911 and glock. The top round in the mag bobbles forward and then 2 rounds come out of the mag causing the double feed.

Well one reason not to is the double feed. When I used to over stuff mags or slam them in at slide lock the same happened on 1911 and glock. The top round in the mag bobbles forward and then 2 rounds come out of the mag causing the double feed.

Production

10 Rounds

I'm sorry... Umm... What is the issue you are pointing out again????

I had lots of steel at today's match. Miss once or twice and you are at slide lock. On one of the reloads, I got a double feed jam that cost me 10 seconds to clear.

This is why you don't want to rely on the "autoforward / slam charge" or whatever you want to call it.

It doesn't happen reliably 100% of the time. I've seen double feeds, stove piped live rounds, or when the slide doesn't drop, the shooter smacks the mag again rather than hit the slide stop.

The guns were not designed for this to happen. The forceful slamming of the mag into the gun jars the frame enough for the slide to slip off the stop and go forward.

It's only faster until it doesn't work, or causes and malfunction. Realize that it can/does happen, but don't practice it or count on it. Practice using the slide stop/release.

This is why you don't want to rely on the "autoforward / slam charge" or whatever you want to call it.

It doesn't happen reliably 100% of the time. I've seen double feeds, stove piped live rounds, or when the slide doesn't drop, the shooter smacks the mag again rather than hit the slide stop.

The guns were not designed for this to happen. The forceful slamming of the mag into the gun jars the frame enough for the slide to slip off the stop and go forward.

It's only faster until it doesn't work, or causes and malfunction. Realize that it can/does happen, but don't practice it or count on it. Practice using the slide stop/release.

All 3 of mine are 100%

All my shadows auto forward 100 percent and only on a rare occasion have I had it not feed properly because my gun was dirty or I didn't have the round in the mag all the way.

You aren't breaking anything by your pistol auto forwarding. And if your concerned you might break your slide stop. Get with automatic accuracy I believe he cuts the slide stop so you won't break them.

All my shadows auto forward 100 percent and only on a rare occasion have I had it not feed properly because my gun was dirty or I didn't have the round in the mag all the way.

You aren't breaking anything by your pistol auto forwarding. And if your concerned you might break your slide stop. Get with automatic accuracy I believe he cuts the slide stop so you won't break them.

So slam charging works 100% of the time, except for the "rare occasion" when it doesn't work... got it. I'd hate for the rare occasion to wreck a major match.

Cutting (clearancing) the slide stop does nothing to stop them from breaking. It's so that the longer different profile bullets don't hit the slide stop causing the gun to lock back prematurely, and causing feeding issues.

I have 3 Shadows, at one point had 4. They work a true 100% of the time by using the slide release, and I don't think the speed of the slide lock reload is holding me back. ;-)

Production

10 Rounds

I dont understand how you dont understand it. You mentioned you had a double feed and we are all trying to say the same thing here. Slamming the mag in causes double feeds and is also not a reliable way in making the slide release forward from slide lock. The slamming of the mag causes the top round to wiggle loose and move forward in the mag. It would therefore be ahead of the extractor when the disconnect rail picks it up along with the round below it causing a double feed. So now you have one round in the chamber not hooked on the extractor and another round pushing it from the back into the chamber. Slide has to be locked then mag pulled and allow that round to fall out.....

My gun just started doing this on occasion and the frequency is increasing with usage.... I had it happen twice yesterday at a practice match ... One of those did not feed a round... Not cool. What causes this ??? Is it wear on the slide stop ???

Production

10 Rounds

I dont understand how you dont understand it. You mentioned you had a double feed and we are all trying to say the same thing here. Slamming the mag in causes double feeds and is also not a reliable way in making the slide release forward from slide lock. The slamming of the mag causes the top round to wiggle loose and move forward in the mag. It would therefore be ahead of the extractor when the disconnect rail picks it up along with the round below it causing a double feed. So now you have one round in the chamber not hooked on the extractor and another round pushing it from the back into the chamber. Slide has to be locked then mag pulled and allow that round to fall out.....

You erroneously quoted me, all 3 of mine work 100%

My gun just started doing this on occasion and the frequency is increasing with usage.... I had it happen twice yesterday at a practice match ... One of those did not feed a round... Not cool. What causes this ??? Is it wear on the slide stop ???

post-21517-0-67762400-1435511209_thumb.j

Check that area of your slide stop. If it's rounded off any, it could cause the slam charge to happen more frequently. Might be time to change it (it's never a bad time to change it, except when it's too late).

Check the feed lips of your mags as well.

Every CZ SP01 Shadow I have handled will auto forward if the mag slams in hard enough. I have not personally seen a feed issue from this. I have yet to slam a mag in hard enough during a match to cause my Shadow to auto forward. I certainly don't rely on it happening.

In my experience with the automatic slide release, the slide stop isnt coming up fully. Put in an XP mag spring puts more pressure on the slide release on an empty mag.

I personally like when it auto releases and havent had any problems yet *knocks on wood*. If I do, I'll address it then but no need to fix what isnt working for me.

slamming a mag home to get the slide to auto forward is like slamming your car door to lock it because it's easier than using the button and it works most the time.

you'd laugh at someone if they told you that. use the part of the gun designed to get the action you want.

"hope is not a plan"

I don't think the auto forwarding is a problem. My CZs are the only gun I've competed with that do it. My thumb is long enough to reach the slide stop so it doesn't matter to me.

I would suspect the people who have had issues are riding the slide stop with their strong hand thumb also and putting enough pressure on it to release the slide before the mag is fully seated. I've had that happen to me while shooting M&Ps.

I'm another who likes the auto-forwarding. I follow a tip I read on the forum some time ago and when I seat the mag in a slide lock situation I use a bit of a forward motion on the mag and this seems to make it happen more consistently.

Eric

CZNEwSlideStop.jpg

Check that area of your slide stop. If it's rounded off any, it could cause the slam charge to happen more frequently. Might be time to change it (it's never a bad time to change it, except when it's too late).

Check the feed lips of your mags as well.

Thank you for the info ... I will check the release and the mags. I do not like the auto close.... Maybe it will maybe it won't does not work for me. I prefer to use my support hand thumb... It works every time and I know what to expect... No surprizes

Only thing is the use of your support hand thumb will cost you time(about 1/2 + second) every time you have to use it. It only takes 1/2 second here & there for you to move up or down in the match rankings. If you learn how to make your CZ auto forward & practice this technique, you can do it 100% of the time. It will give you an advantage over other competitors.

If I run dry mine auto forwards 100% of the time. Im not doing something special to try to get the gun to auto forward, I'm just inserting a magazine like normal. I don't see a reason to over complicate things. Auto-forward what you need to auto-forward.