Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When shooting USPSA Limited

zzw26n

I have seen this done in the past, possibly to make it easier to rack the slide when a magazine is inserted. not sure if it is ok or not

This is exactly why I asked, it's easy to rack the slide once the mag is inserted.

It's easier to pull the hammer back when holstered.

I have seen this done in the past, possibly to make it easier to rack the slide when a magazine is inserted. not sure if it is ok or not

This is exactly why I asked, it's easy to rack the slide once the mag is inserted.

It's easier to pull the hammer back when holstered.

Or use two hands after you take it of the holster? I believe this was brought up just the other day in regards to whether it would be a DQ or not, because for just a split second you have a cocked, unsafetied gun in the holster, which I do believe is a DQ. I generally draw once half speed, then cock it and apply safety, full speed draw and pull the trigger, then cock it and charge the gun. I will try to find the other thread.

::ETA:: I found the thread, search "make ready" to find it. The consensus is that because the gun is empty, and you are under the supervision of the RO then it is good to go. But, I still think it is probably easier to cock the gun with your weak hand while you hold it in your strong hand, IMHO.

Edited by Gooldylocks

Not loaded so no harm no foul. Unless the rulebook mentions it somewhere else I believe it's only a DQ able offense to holster a loaded single action firearm without the safety applied.

The book defines a loaded firearm, a gun void of any ammo isn't loaded.

Not sure it's the best practice, but unless someone comes up with another rule that's my interpretation.

Not loaded so no harm no foul. Unless the rulebook mentions it somewhere else I believe it's only a DQ able offense to holster a loaded single action firearm without the safety applied.

The book defines a loaded firearm, a gun void of any ammo isn't loaded.

Not sure it's the best practice, but unless someone comes up with another rule that's my interpretation.

A loaded firearm is also with a magazine inserted with live or dummy rounds or any live or dummy round in the chamber.

There is a lengthy discussion on this as shown above.

I take the gun out of the holster, and cock the hammer ...

Then I load the mag and rack ... :cheers:

Limited is new to me, shot one Match so far and above is how I 'load and make ready'.

But, at practice last night I found it very convient to cock the hammer prior to taking the gun out of the holster.

I also find it allot easier to rack the slide if the hammer is cocked on a 2011 pistol.

Last night no one knew if it was illegal or not?

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you "might" be running a much heavier main (hammer) spring than necessary (factory is often 23lbs ... where a 19, 17 or even a 15 gets the job done ... and greatly affects the effort to rack the slide ... and will even lighten your trigger pull a bit).

Just a thought ... as you didn't elaborate on your configuration.

don't take this the wrong way but if you're shooting in a major PF division and are looking for ways to make it easier to rack the slide on an empty chamber, what kind of grip do you have? I might suggest investing some time in grip strength training ... I've watched guys like Mike Seeklander rack the slide on their Limited STI with 2 fingers from underneath the gun .... as mentioned, a lighter main spring might be in order as well ...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand this whole conversation. It's not a DQ to have the hammer back in the holster with the safety on or off, as long as the gun is unloaded:

10.5.11 specifically says "Holstering a *LOADED* handgun, in any of the following conditions:

--------10.5.11.1: A single action self-loading pistol with the safety not applied

All these conditions apply the entire time the handgun is in the holster. See 8.1.2.4

8.1.2.4 "This safety must be on while the firearm is LOADED in the holster or LOADED inany other location stated in the WSB in order to be in compliance with 10.5.11"

So I see nothing here saying a cocked hammer on an unloaded gun is an issue.

That said, it still seems like a bad habit to me.

• 1 month later...

I would take it out of the holster then cock hammer. No doubt it would stir up debate with a R.O. nazi eventually.

RO NAZI? Do you want strict rule enforcement when several people are running around with loaded guns, or do you prefer RO's that let stuff slide?

As is said its fine to do it. If an RO SEES ANYTHING that looks odd I would never fault him for questioning it.

And yes, I'm quite the rules guy.:)