Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need to lube 9 mm cases for reloading?

valleyforge1777

I'm loading 9 mm once-fired (or multiply-fired) brass, Dillon XL650 press, Dillon carbide 9 mm reloading dies. I have loaded about 12,000 rounds this way. I never used any kid of lube for the cases.

Last night I was listening to a recent The Arms Room podcast where they had Jason from DP on as a guest. Jason was going over a bunch of different reloading topics, including reloaders' mistakes. One of the things he pointed out was that it is a good idea to use lube on 9 mm brass cases. I could not tell if he was saying this advice for all dies or just for non-carbide. He even mentioned that a lot of reloaders don't like the idea because then they have to polish off the lube, but he said it will make the loading easier going.

So, do I need to start doing this (lube the 9 mm cases)? Also, if I do need to do this, is it done the same way as I do the 223 cases (spread them out on their sides on a metal cookie sheet, spray a few spritzes of Dillon case lube, move them all around and then let the lube dry)?

Also, anyone prefer Hornady one-shot to Dillon case lube? I've always used the Dillon stuff.

Thanks

I use Hornady One Shot for pistol cases. As noted above, it makes it much easier to pull the handle. Give it a try, see what you think. You can always go back to not lubing.

I use Dillon spray, but only on rifle brass (I apply it the same way you do it). The Dillon spray with the lanolin is tackier than Hornady One shot when it dries.

if you start lubing 9mm and feel the difference as is it cycles through the press, you probably will not stop. There is pleasant difference when using lube on pistol cases.

Beyond making the handle easier to pull, lubing your 9mm cases will make your "progressive" press run "smoother". A smoother running progressive press will generally yield more "consistent" ammo. I lube my pistol brass for more consistent ammo. You definitely don't have to lube your 9mm cases if you're running carbide dies. I recommend experimenting and deciding for yourself.

Your Dillon case lube will be better than Hornady One Shot Case Lube but you'll want to wipe down your finished ammo with a rag or run it through your vibratory tumbler for few minutes to clean off any excess lube.

I use One Shot because it's light enough that it doesn't require me to clean the lube off my finished ammo. Again, lanolin-alcohol based lubes are better but I prefer to skip the cleaning step for most of my ammo. Again, no harm in experimenting... give it a try. I'm betting your SD will tighten up a bit if run the rounds you lubed over a chrono. If nothing else, your arm will thank you.

I spray the lube onto a cookie tray than dump the cases in and roll them around. After loading I tumble them about twenty minutes to clean off any residue. The lube makes loading a lot smoother and helps reduce wear on your press.

I lube it. It makes reloading easier. I was using one shot. I grab 10 handfuls of brass, put it in a gallon zip lock and give it a couple of squirts of one shot. Roll it around and let it dry. I have recently been experimenting with using a tube of Lee lube and diluted with 16oz of rubbing alcohol. Do the same 10 handfuls in a ziplock, a couple of squirts, roll around and let dry. Seems to work just as good as the one shot but a lot cheaper.

I don't lube 9mm consistantly but about every 50 rounds I put some Imperial Sizing Wax on a case. This smooths things out and lubes the die. It lasts quite a while and goes to the other 3 dies in my SDB. I then grab that case off the chute and wipe ot off.

It makes it easier on your arm if you lube the cases.

I ultrasonic clean my cases then lube & de-prime (with a Lee universal) and resize in large batches on my progressive. Then I run the resized cases through the U/S to get the lube off and any additional deposits/primer pockets.

After drying I store the cases for when I reload.

Just find it easier for me this way but usually do 1,000+ at a time.

Yes, I know that I'm running everything through the press twice...but, I'm retired so extra time doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, I don't run into having to stop the press while reloading due to a decap pin breaking or being pushed out (due to either a crimped pocket or debris) or a bad case that wasn't noticed until after resizing. Also, I can typically go 400-500 rounds without cleaning the stations due to powder debris as everything runs so much more smoothly.

Need to? No. Is it measurably easier if you do? Totally. Once I started I won't go back to not using it.

I take about 200 9mm cases and throw them in a gallon size ziplock bag. I lay it on the bench and push the cases around till they almost all are laying on their sides. Then I spray in two pumps of the Dillon case lube. Seal the bag and shake it for about 20 seconds and leave it open on the bench for the time it takes me to fill up a couple primer tubes.

Then I dump them in the case feeder and load as normal. I do zero post processing. I use a Dillon 1050, normally load 300-400 rounds every couple days. I use a EGW U die and a Lee factory crimp die as well.

When the last of my Dillon case lube runs out I might think about making my own lanolin and alcohol home brew case lube.

Edited by rowdyb

lubing makes resizing smother and usually gives a more consistant OAL. Try it and you will most likely never go back to unlubed. I used to not remove the lube, but lately i have started to do so on match ammo. i have found that the lube will attract sand and dirt if the mag is dropped in such enviroments. for practice ammo it does not matter. throw in tumbler for 1 hr and its all gone.

Beyond making the handle easier to pull, lubing your 9mm cases will make your "progressive" press run "smoother". A smoother running progressive press will generally yield more "consistent" ammo. I lube my pistol brass for more consistent ammo. You definitely don't have to lube your 9mm cases if you're running carbide dies. I recommend experimenting and deciding for yourself.

Your Dillon case lube will be better than Hornady One Shot Case Lube but you'll want to wipe down your finished ammo with a rag or run it through your vibratory tumbler for few minutes to clean off any excess lube.

I use One Shot because it's light enough that it doesn't require me to clean the lube off my finished ammo. Again, lanolin-alcohol based lubes are better but I prefer to skip the cleaning step for most of my ammo. Again, no harm in experimenting... give it a try. I'm betting your SD will tighten up a bit if run the rounds you lubed over a chrono. If nothing else, your arm will thank you.

^ This.

I use One Shot on pistol ammo, a spritz or two into the coffee can of 'ready to load' brass, shake it up a bit, open lid, spray again, shake, open lid and load primer tubes, then ready to roll.

Home-made lube or Imperial for rifle...

This topic would sure make a nice sticky.....

I never used to lube pistol brass either but now that I've tried it, i am never going back. Definitely makes it easier on the press and on your shoulder. I would like to try the home made lanolin lube as well, I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Dillon lube. Excellent. I'm guessing it's equally excellent to the one shot. I just have no experience with one shot.

Loaded my first 5000 without lube and didn't think anything of it. Tried lube and after the next few thousand I can IMMEDIATELY tell if I run out of lubed cases and hit one that's non-lubed. It's great. Can it be done without lube, of course.... However my advice is: Definitely lube and don't look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a few 9mm wo lube.... big mistake!

Made up a qt of diy lanolin lube, but weaker than most list. Just used 2oz of the liquid lanolin. For pistol, there is no need for more. The effort is dramatically less making everything better. I even use it on .40 now too. Won't go back to dry humping!