Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for Major PF .45acp 230gr FMJ

SouthernYeti

Developing a .45 ACP Major PF load using Berry's 230gr TMJ-RN bullets. Trying to keep the PF right at 168 out of a 5" barrel.

Currently use Titegroup for 9mm and .40, but was wondering if others found a softer shooting/less smoky powder for .45.

Good luck finding Clays I don't think the factory is producing any yet. Clay dot is almost the same.

They have been producing again and quite a few people on this forum have reported buying new stock recently. Two local gun shops near me had it in the past month (along with Universal and International).

Good luck finding Clays I don't think the factory is producing any yet. Clay dot is almost the same.

They have been producing again and quite a few people on this forum have reported buying new stock recently. Two local gun shops near me had it in the past month (along with Universal and International).

Thanks man I'll keep an eye out.

Developing a .45 ACP Major PF load using Berry's 230gr TMJ-RN bullets. Trying to keep the PF right at 168 out of a 5"

N320!!!.... Cleaner than Clays and a more useful spread than N310.

Considering that you are attempting to keep the PF at 168, N320 would be an excellent choice. I don't use it for 45acp, but in my 9mm loads I do. I target 128PF, and can keep the Standard Deviation easily in the single digits. The lowest I have been able to test is 2fps standard deviation. You won't get that low SD with WST.

Titegroup should not be that smoky under a plated round. I use it, Bullseye or 231/HP38 for 45 (major & minor). Since I have the most TG, I use it the most and have not seen any issues but I am loading for an average of 171 PF.

• 2 months later...

A while back my very recoil sensitive Wife came home with a 1911 in .45 ACP and ask me to find a load she could shoot comfortably. Now this I knew, was going to be a challenge. I loaded 10 different loads, 5 with plated bullets and 5 with coated using 230 grain projectiles. Surprising to me she picked the RS Competition loads for both bullets. I have always used e3, Clays and N310 for all of my shooting but I have to admit she was right. For whatever reason I too found the RS Comp loads just a bit softer feeling and the strangest part, the plated load seemed to be softer than the coated with less powder. Go figure. Anyway add Ramshot Competition to your list of powders to be on the lookout for.