Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI oversized mag release button

Sarge

WOW! Talk about an easy to reach and release mag button!?! I was worried it might stick out too far and cause problems but so far in dry fire my hand doesn't even touch it. And on my open gun it doesn't touch anything if I lay it down.

Anyone else run one of these? Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like they are very Prevelant.

Personally, I prefer the Ed Brown unit because it is machined from billet. I do like the STI paddle better than the Wilson type (sharp edges), so I'm thinking of trying one on the EB release.

On my Limited gun I had to swap out buttons any time I had a table or barrel start. As soon as I touched the gun it would eject the mag. Then I got a thumb rest and that solved any issue I had with the button. I have short thumbs and it cured me having to shift my grip for mag changes.

any pro's and con's vs the Brazos round cyclone mag release button? are there any torque issues with the STI as it seems the paddle is off the axis vs the Brazos which is centered? maybe the STI is a little easier to reach being set back towards the back of the gun a little?

any pro's and con's vs the Brazos round cyclone mag release button? are there any torque issues with the STI as it seems the paddle is off the axis vs the Brazos which is centered? maybe the STI is a little easier to reach being set back towards the back of the gun a little?

i had the cyclone on my gun and still had to reach for it just enough to break my grip. The STI is right there under my thumb.

Edit to add I asked about torque last year and was told it's no problem. I have found that to be true

Edited by Sarge

They are a nice light weight button with a low profile and good purchase.

I'm getting ready to drill/tap the mag release button on a single stack 9mm to install one. I will probably buff the edges a little to remove some of the sharpness as it is pretty edgy. If you have an issue with premature ejection then using a stiffer mag release spring will sometimes help.

BTW - Thunder Mountain used to sell them for a really good price (I wanna say something like 12 bucks, but am not sure) and I got a couple before they closed their web site. Looking forward to their reopening as they were a great source for parts like this.

I run one of these on each of my 4 2011 pistols. When I installed the first one I use a lighter mag release spring and that was a disaster. Friends suggested that I switch to the normal spring and life was good. I have small hands and have found that if I angle the STI Oversized button slightly upwards then it is easier for me to hit and less likely to have interaction with my weak hand. Without the oversized button shooting a 2011 platform pistol would prove a challenge for me.

Edited by Aggieddad02

I also looked for a way to not have to break my grip to eject the mag on my SS gun.

I tried the normal extended button. Nope. I got scooped grips so my thumb wasn't fighting to get around the grip panel and that helped a bit. i tried the large round button on top of the extended mag button and that helped a bit. But it wasn't until I got the paddle that I finally solved my problem. I can now drop the mag very easily and don't have to break my grip so my thumb reaches the button.

That was the last piece I needed to make the gun exactly how I wanted it.

Edited by jualdeaux