Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's happened to USPSA/IPSC clubs?

gittist

I haven't shot for a few years and wanted to get back into it but 3 of the local clubs no longer have USPSA/IPSC pistol matches. One now has IDPA, one has gone to 3-gun, and I don't know if the 3rd has any 'action' shooting at all. What has happened?

Thanks

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't shot for a few years and wanted to get back into it but 3 of the local clubs no longer have USPSA/IPSC pistol matches. One now has IDPA, one has gone to 3-gun, and I don't know if the 3rd has any 'action' shooting at all. What has happened?

Thanks

In most places, it seems like it's only a handful of people doing all the work. If a couple of them got more interested in something else, and no one else stepped up to fill the void, that's what you get.

IPSC/USPSA ruled the roost for years, now they have to compete with IDPA, SASS, ICORE, SC, Rimfire, 3Gun, PRS, etc. The consumer shooter, industry putting more $ into 3Gun, old guys getting burned out, politics and some shakiness (real or perceived) in the running of USPSA in general are also factors that account for some of the decline.

IPSC/USPSA ruled the roost for years, now they have to compete with IDPA, SASS, ICORE, SC, Rimfire, 3Gun, PRS, etc. The consumer shooter, industry putting more $ into 3Gun, old guys getting burned out, politics and some shakiness (real or perceived) in the running of USPSA in general are also factors that account for some of the decline.

Exactly!

USPSA is still going strong in SW Idaho. In fact I think it is stronger now than it was in 2008 when I started. There are 3 matches a month within 45 min or less of my house and 3 more if I am willing to drive 2-3 hrs. Literally a match every weekend and sometimes two. MD's rotate each quarter to help stave off burn out.

Steel Challenge, IDPA, and 3-gun are also well represented, and sometimes you have to choose which match to attend that day.

Edited by 2MoreChains

IDPA is much more common in my state (Arkansas). Only one USPSA match per month in the central Arkansas area to my knowledge. There's IDPA every weekend. Sometimes the clubs almost seem to blend them together with blatantly rule breaking stages that are long with multiple mag changes in idpa though

Check out Ontelaunee Rod & Gun, I've heard they put on a good match and don't think that's too far from you.

Actually they're the closest one to me, they also shoot IDPA. I'd like to have fun, safely, and learn a few things (and not get DQ'd or asked not to come back).

Thanks

In most places, it seems like it's only a handful of people doing all the work. If a couple of them got more interested in something else, and no one else stepped up to fill the void, that's what you get.

^^^ This is a big factor in many clubs. It leads to a lot of burnout. You have you MDs and that small core group for stage design/setup and very little other help. If some of that core group can't make it you're screwed. That core group may be getting older or have other obligations. Getting new blood to step up is difficult. I once found myself alone setting up for a match and almost cancelled it. Thankfully, a handful of our core group came back and helped me finish. Setup crew shoots free but, often it doesn't matter to many.

I see lots of new blood on the range, but very few end up volunteering to help. A lot of folks don't think of it as "our match", they think as consumers of a product they pay for, forgetting that the people putting it on don't get payed. Some do help, and that is appreciated, but we are seeing fewer people wanting to design stages and work on match management outside the shooting day. I know I just started my 10th year as a match director, and it is my last even if no one else steps up to take over.

That and 3gun, which for lots of us is more fun.

Edited by Vlad

I see lots of new blood on the range, but very few end up volunteering to help. A lot of folks don't think of it as "our match", they think as consumers of a product they pay for, forgetting that the people putting it on don't get payed. Some do help, and that is appreciated, but we are seeing fewer people wanting to design stages and work on match management outside the shooting day.

I find that many people are willing to help once the need is explained to them, and it quickly becomes part of the socializing and fun.

One of the questions on our club membership application is "how can you help?" I think it's good to set those expectations right away.

I find that many people are willing to help once the need is explained to them, and it quickly becomes part of the socializing and fun.

If you can tell me what witchcraft you have done, let me know. This has not been my experience, after years of patiently and gently explaining it to people.

If you can tell me what witchcraft you have done, let me know. This has not been my experience, after years of patiently and gently explaining it to people.

Well, you are in jersey, and I am in idaho. It's been my experience that people are alot more friendly and helpful here, which is part of why I live here. Probably just because there's less traffic, frustration, pollution, etc...

I suppose the rational solution if people aren't willing to help is to make MD a paid position, raising the entry fees a couple bucks if necessary. If the MD made $50 or so each match to spend on ammo, beer and topless girls, it might make the job less of a thankless chore.

Edited by motosapiens

IMHO the volunteer system is broken. Everyone expects to just pay 20 or 30 and show up and shoot like its a business. Usually now its just a bunch of old guys doing the setup and scoring. Is saving 20 worth it for people to come out and help? Nope

:o

If I had to pay $30, I would shoot like it's a business too. we pay $7-15 here.

For $30 you should be able to pay an MD and a setup crew and have plenty leftover for supplies, the club, etc...