Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal for 3 Gun?

I'm just getting into 3 gun and noticed most folks are using 9mm pistols. I already have a 40, dies, brass, 5 mags, etc and only have the gun and 1 mag in 9mm.

So what are the pro's & con's between a loaded down 40 v a 9mm for 3 gun?

Edited by 3gunjunky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no major/minor power factor scoring in most 3 gun events, therefore a 9mm is preferable in the majority's eyes,

That said, you can always just load .40 minor with your current setup, as you know. You'll have to weigh the cost/benefit factors for yourself, but you'll spend a good chunk of change getting all your 9mm equipment squared away when you already have all the goodies for .40 at your fingertips.

I would just start out shooting .40 minor, have fun. Then if you really want to go the 9mm route down the road you can slowly acquire used items bit by bit and save some cash rather than rushing to buy everything at once brand new.

You'll lose a small amount of magazine capacity. As you get started that won't mean anything significant at all. You just look at your own costs & economics. If the down-loaded 40 makes more sense for you financially, you will be doing yourself a favor.

Careful downloading .40 S&W. I used Montana Gold 155gr JHP and could not get the gun to cycle at 135,000 power factor. Could have put in a lighter recoil spring but decided to raise the power factor to 140,000. Funny thing is the recoil feels lighter than my wife's 9mm at 130,000 power factor.

Edited by Zoomy

I shoot .40 in 3-gun. I shoot .40 major in USPSA and didn't want to come up with another load, get a conversion barrel, etc... I just load down to minor for 3-gun ammo.

I noticed that there are a few stages where I have to reload where the 9mm 2011 shooters don't. I don't think it sets me back since I can normally reload when I am moving.

I put 4.1gr of HP38 underneath 180gr Montana Gold bullets for my Edge, and it's a perfect 3-gun round. I've only run into a couple stages during matches where I wish I had 2-3 more rounds in the magazine to stave off a reload, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Additionally, I've seen stages where people shooting 9mm at a less-than-calibrated popper won't be able to knock it over where a .40 will just about every time.

I shoot .40 in 3-gun. I shoot .40 major in USPSA and didn't want to come up with another load, get a conversion barrel, etc... I just load down to minor for 3-gun ammo.

I noticed that there are a few stages where I have to reload where the 9mm 2011 shooters don't. I don't think it sets me back since I can normally reload when I am moving.

Exactly there is so much more movement in 3-gun then USPSA you can reload anywhere.

I still run my 40 in Limited and Tac O. Just never felt like there was much to gain by spending the scratch for another 2011. I'll get one eventually, but I can track the sights as fast as I can pull the trigger. 40 gets the job done fine.

Edited by co-exprs

I have 2 9mm 2011, but have been running my 6" 40 lately. After a hard to spin pistol spinner I now carry major 200g just for hard set steel and minor 165g for the rest. I lose 2 rounds over my 9 but doesn't bother me at all.

I just stepped up to a 2011 in .40 from the ol' SS .45, as most matches allow that in HM now, & I don't know what the hell I'd need with 2-3 more rounds in my mag. I have enough trouble keeping track of my count with what I got! :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 means not having to look back to see if the steel fell! :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see a lot of guys having to shoot more than once to get some of that heavy steel to fall! (including me) I run my 9mm at 140PF now.

I know I am the oddball but I prefer my .40 downloaded to about 140 or so with a 180. Stupid soft, steel falls, I use the same projectiles for both USPSA and 3G. I get 21 reloadable so an extra reload every once in a while doesn't carry more weight than what I perceive as the benefits.

Call me crazy.

Careful downloading .40 S&W. I used Montana Gold 155gr JHP and could not get the gun to cycle at 135,000 power factor. Could have put in a lighter recoil spring but decided to raise the power factor to 140,000. Funny thing is the recoil feels lighter than my wife's 9mm at 130,000 power factor.

135,000 power factor! That explains the seismic readings at the local college geology department. :surprise:

135,000 power factor! That explains the seismic readings at the local college geology department. :surprise:
I should have reduced it to 135 PF. I just wrote it out the way the math works out (870 fps x 155 grains = 134,850 PF) and rounded up.

Lots of great advice here. I did the same only with 9mm to start. It's what I had and was set up to reload with. I don't shoot much USPSA, when I do I'm in "minor", but just starting out it's the idea of getting into the game and learning. I mostly Steel Challenge and 3 Gun now so it worked out just fine. There's one guy at our range that shoots 40 and he loves to shoot with all the 9mm guys because he can quickly pick his brass out of the pile.