Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is best for doing revolver action jobs now? Specifically on a S&#

punisher0822

I recently picked up a Smith Model 66-2. Single action is great but the double is long and harsh. Who is the best around at doing action jobs on revolvers these days? I was told over on AR15.com to ask here, that you guys knew who were the best. Thanks for any advice I can get.

I keep hoping that if we continue saying nice things about Mr. Carmoney, he'll come out of retirement. :bow:

I've had an action job done by Clark's in LA on my S&W 627. Good work. It was a few years ago but as I recall it was fairly quick and I don't remember the price so it couldn't have been bad.

Haven't had any work done by him yet but I've heard nothing but good about Randy Lee and Apex. He seems committed to the revo sport. He and the Apex people are at every IRC shooting their wares.

Apex has done several of my guns, excellent work from them.

I you're just looking to clean the gun up a little a local smith is usually the ticket, or pick up Miculek's video on it and do it yourself.

Yeah, I tried to work on a revolver recently, and found my skills were rusty, my bifocals were in the wrong spot, and it made my back hurt. All of which reminded me to be happy in my retirement from working on guns! :)

Apex is a great option, but they tend to get way backlogged depending on other projects they have in the hopper. TK Custom is working on revolvers again--you might want to give Tom a call and check on their turnaround.

Apex Tactical is the way to go. I agree with carmoney their work does take some time due to backlog, but it is worth the wait if you are willing to invest the money. The 627 they did for me was a 3 month wait and my 625 was a 7 month wait because I had them install a factory 5" barrel on it.

This is probably a stupid question but bare with me I am a new when it comes to work on revolvers. Lets say for example I send my new 929 off to one of the above mentioned smiths. How much of a differance can one expect in trigger pull vs buying the miculek dvd, spring kit and bobbing the hammer myself?

Hell, it ain't rocket science, fellas. I always encourage people to give it a shot. If you're even a little bit mechanically inclined, you can do the action on a Smith.

The tough part is figuring out how to fix the problems that occasionally crop up. Experience can certainly help with that.

Hell, it ain't rocket science, fellas. I always encourage people to give it a shot. If you're even a little bit mechanically inclined, you can do the action on a Smith.

I'm ready !

dewalt-DW758-main-lg.jpg

823882_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Tools-Machines-Professional-Fine-Half-Ro

Crest_toothpaste.jpg

Edited by alecmc

Fordfan,

Following the Miculek dvd can produce a good action on a gun if it is completely in spec. The problem is, that is highly unlikely and you need some knowledge and equipment to determine that. I'd suggest that you start with the Kuhnhausen shop manual to get an overview of revolver function then follow up with the Brownell's catalog to look over the tools required to diagnose and correct problems. If you are just looking for the end result, I'd recommend that you send it to a professional. If you think adding a new skill set will enhance your enjoyment of the sport, go for it. Just remember, before working on any part you should check the availability and cost of a replacement.

One of the problems is that many professional gunsmiths, even those who work on revolvers routinely, don't really understand what competitive shooters are looking for. They may be able to slick up a duty gun, or install a spring kit, but tuning the action down to 6 lbs and make it feel right....well, that's a whole different matter.

One of the problems is that many professional gunsmiths, even those who work on revolvers routinely, don't really understand what competitive shooters are looking for. They may be able to slick up a duty gun, or install a spring kit, but tuning the action down to 6 lbs and make it feel right....well, that's a whole different matter.

+1. I also think that most new shooters don't know what they are looking for. It gives a lot of confidence to go to a good shooter and hear that he did the job like he would do it for himself.

I'm ready !

dewalt-DW758-main-lg.jpg

823882_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Tools-Machines-Professional-Fine-Half-Ro

Crest_toothpaste.jpg

:roflol: reminds me of

Temptation.jpg

but seriously to the OP, it's not that hard. Fool around a bit, may not be APEX quality but playing around in the inside is the best way to learn your gun, how it works, and how to fix things.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Yeah, I tried to work on a revolver recently, and found my skills were rusty, my bifocals were in the wrong spot, and it made my back hurt. All of which reminded me to be happy in my retirement from working on guns! :)

Apex is a great option, but they tend to get way backlogged depending on other projects they have in the hopper. TK Custom is working on revolvers again--you might want to give Tom a call and check on their turnaround.

a bad excuse is better than none.