Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help w/ 1911 for Concealed carry

zipper046

Have you tried the snake skin front strap on the CCO or on a similar size pistol? I personally don't feel it gives me enough positive control so I use 25 or 30 LPI checkering like the ECO. If you are buying new, Osage County Guns has some of the best prices. CCO is $1289, ECO is $1359. They will take care of you. I purchased a DW from them a couple years ago. I hope this helps.

If you want a CCO from STI, look at the guardian. Aesthetically it's much nicer with the newer rollmarks. It's a 3.9" bull barrel on an officer frame. The all steel build is a tad heavier, but it also assists with taming SD ammo. It's the single stack version of the VIP. American made and hand assembled in the great state of Texas.

It also sits very well in a MS Nexus.

Edited by v1911

If you want a CCO from STI, look at the guardian. Aesthetically it's much nicer with the newer rollmarks. It's a 3.9" bull barrel on an officer frame. The all steel build is a tad heavier, but it also assists with taming SD ammo. It's the single stack version of the VIP. American made and hand assembled in the great state of Texas.

It also sits very well in a MS Nexus.

+1 I carry an all steel officers model from Wilson. It's a little heavier, but the extra weight makes it more shotable. Also, 1911's carry more comfortably than most polymer frame double stacks. A good holster and belt will make it sort of just blend in with your body and clothing. I can sit in my seat at the movies and just sort of forget it's there. I could never forget my glock was there, because it was always poking me in the kidneys.

FWIW. I just picked up a Sig Sauer 1911 Fastback Nightmare in .45. Grip feels good in my bigger hand and gun performs flawlessly. Carrying it with the 4 inch barrel in an IWB holster is easy to manage and draw. The 2 mags come with an extended and contoured based pad to help hold your grip in place.

Thank you all for the input! I've read through all the responses here and on 2 other forums I posted this on, as well as my own experiences and research.

Search so far will be:

CCO:

- DW CCO

- Sig RCS

Officer:

- DW ECO

- Sig Ultra

Now off to the local gun shops to see what is to be had for the above....if nothing, will go online and see what there is...

Thanks!

Z-

I'm a big fan of CCO sized 1911s for concealed carry. I really like the Sigs because they have all the features that I want in a CCO, but aren't too expensive. I have two that are in my daily carry rotation. I really like my RCS Sport because it is the lightest gun I have besides my Ruger LCP, and the integrated magwell makes for a near full size grip feel. My Traditional stainless has VZ thin grips, so it is very concealable and lives in a Milt Sparks VM2 holster. I never have to worry about it moving around throughout the day with the VM2. Both guns have been very reliable for me.

sigsauer_twins.jpg

sigcompact1911_weight.jpg

sigrcssport1911_weight.jpg

Edited by BrazeauRacing

Might want to check out

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-1911-C-Model.asp

The triggers are great and accuracy is good also, and even better very affordable - Sorry to here about the bad time with kimber.

I carry a CDP Ultra II and have never had any issue with it nor another of my kimbers.

Fwiw, I am a fellow LEO and carry my Springfield EMP nearly 100% of the time when off duty. I also run it quite often in local IDPA matches, It has fed and ejected flawlessly for me since day one.

Edited by MJPLEO

Fwiw, I am a fellow LEO and carry my Springfield EMP nearly 100% of the time when off duty. I also run it quite often in local IDPA matches, It has fed and ejected flawlessly for me since day one.

I've heard good things about the later EMP's.....I reload .40 for USPSA and for practice (our duty weapons are G22's)....this is swaying me now towards the EMP in .40

I've heard good things about the later EMP's.....I reload .40 for USPSA and for practice (our duty weapons are G22's)....this is swaying me now towards the EMP in .40

The only thing I changed were the sights. I went with Trijicon HD's with the yellow dot, same as my duty gun. You'll find the EMP to be very tight (fit and finish were great on mine) when brand new. I just ran the shit out of it with full house duty loads (.40 @ 181pf out of my duty gun) as my break in and never had any issues. I made some lighter reloads that it'll run w/out issue. They're no powder puff at 145pf but still lots of fun to shoot. I didn't do this in the beginning so I don't know if it would've run these before I broke it in.

The EMP's seem to have a fairly heavy recoil spring from the factory. I think lots of people try to run their really light reloads which may be causing some of their headaches with these guns. I'm sure you could run a lighter recoil spring for reloads though, easy swap.

Good luck,

Matt

Edited by MJPLEO

Have you thought about carrying a full sized 1911. That's what I do, but of course I'm a full frame kind of guy as you can see from my pic, and you may not be.

Hi WidowsSon683...I tried it when I first began CCW...I'm 6'2", 215lbs....with no BUTT! LOL!...longer 5" barrel gave me some fits IWB at 7:00 - 8:00 position (I'm lefty)...would hit the seat when I sat down and push the gun up into my ribs....when I leaned forward it printed horribly through my jeans/pants (again...no butt...)

My G27 (with +1 extension) is great...just too thick. I did carry a G23 for awhile so a CCO seems for me the route to go....

I'm LE as well and am issued same Glocks as you. I also carry a 1911 off duty (approved by my agency - we qualify w/ our off duty and are backed by dept if involved in UOF incident off duty).

Not sure what you use for off duty holster, but I suggest looking @ Milt Sparks leather for your off duty carry. Quality leather REALLY makes a difference when concealing a firearm. Their Versa Max II IWB holster is the most comfortable and concealable holster for the 1911 (Glock too) I've tried and I've tried a bunch. Have been using one for my G22 for over 15yrs. I don't think you'll have a printing issue w/ this holster even w/ a full size 1911 (which is what I carry). I also just got a Milt Sparks 60TK for outside pants carry. Very nice high ride holster. Coupled w/ MS 1.5" belt, it's very stable, but not as concealable as the VM2.

Of the guns you mentioned, I'd go STI for sure. Their guns are very well built, great value and their customer service is awesome.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Nick-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I personally don't like it there is the Sig 938. It is a scaled up version of Sig's Colt Mustang copy, the 238. The trigger sucks but the size is right and it comes with night sights. I don't know if I would trust one to be reliable given the crappy quality control Sig has gained a reputation for in the new millenia.

When I was looking at concealed carry guns I did like the M&P Shield quite a bit and you might want to consider it even though it isn't a 1911 derivative. The trigger actually was much better than I thought it would be and I would not mod it at all. Problem is that the gun is too big for pocket carry and necessitates IWB carry, but at that point it is not that much more difficult to step up to a Glock 19 and double your capacity (and then you can always keep 17 rounders with or without +2 basepads as backup).

If Glock actually does make a single stack 9mm that can be pocket carried I would buy it in a heartbeat. The current options for pocket carry 9mms just don't seem ideal to me.

In addition to the 9mm EMP, I also have a Kahr CW9. Nice gun for not much $. I had the smaller & nicer finished PM9, but sold it to free up some cash. Kahr has a more affordable version of it now called the CM9. About the the smallest 9mm non-single action I can think of.

A buddy has a CW9 that had the grip cut to the length of the PM/CM. Kinda like a Kahr CCO.

Although I personally don't like it there is the Sig 938. It is a scaled up version of Sig's Colt Mustang copy, the 238. The trigger sucks but the size is right and it comes with night sights. I don't know if I would trust one to be reliable given the crappy quality control Sig has gained a reputation for in the new millenia.

When I was looking at concealed carry guns I did like the M&P Shield quite a bit and you might want to consider it even though it isn't a 1911 derivative. The trigger actually was much better than I thought it would be and I would not mod it at all. Problem is that the gun is too big for pocket carry and necessitates IWB carry, but at that point it is not that much more difficult to step up to a Glock 19 and double your capacity (and then you can always keep 17 rounders with or without +2 basepads as backup).

If Glock actually does make a single stack 9mm that can be pocket carried I would buy it in a heartbeat. The current options for pocket carry 9mms just don't seem ideal to me.

I have a P938 I was carrying for awhile...good little gun. Accurate, easy to conceal, recoil not bad at all for a small 9mm "1911". I went back to my G27 because the P938 is too small for my large hands...

Now looking for a 3" - 4" 1911 that would be thinner than my G27, but larger than the P938....

Z-

• 2 weeks later...

Ruger's got a brand new lightweight commander that they launched last week. Jeff Quinn has a pretty thorough (as per usual) review on his website.

The gun is pretty much standard 4.25" technology with the exceptions being an integral plunger tube and a feed ramp that's made using a titanium insert. Price is likely to be in the mid-$700's but might taper off a bit once the newness wears off.

Years ago I had one I made up of a Govt slide and an officer model frame. The length of the slide assembly is really not the problem as it basically runs parallel with your leg. The biggest problem is the grip area and the officer models have the shortest length that you have to conceal.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an STi Duty One 4.0 lite. It's just awesome. It's in 9mm. Feels almost like a 22.....recoil is nice and the thing is just accurate as hell. Plus, it has a rail should I ever decide to put a light on it....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of CCO sized 1911s for concealed carry. I really like the Sigs because they have all the features that I want in a CCO, but aren't too expensive. I have two that are in my daily carry rotation. I really like my RCS Sport because it is the lightest gun I have besides my Ruger LCP, and the integrated magwell makes for a near full size grip feel. My Traditional stainless has VZ thin grips, so it is very concealable and lives in a Milt Sparks VM2 holster. I never have to worry about it moving around throughout the day with the VM2. Both guns have been very reliable for me.

sigsauer_twins.jpg

sigcompact1911_weight.jpg

sigrcssport1911_weight.jpg

It's such a shame that they won't just build a gun with a conventional extractor. They have some nice offerings, but the external extractor in a 1911 is something that makes me so nervous. S&W has some, too.

The EMP in .40 is a steel frame instead of aluminum. I would strongly recommend sticking to 9mm for the weight savings and recoil.

I keep coming back to this thread and similar, but can't decide on a CCO sized pistol. how can a SA be almost twice as much as an M&Pc. and the DW I want is like $1350. adds up fast

The 1911 is a 100 year old design that predates mass production. The fact that it is only twice the price considering that is a miracle.

Keep in mind that making and selling a 100% new M1 Garand in the year 2015 would probably cost about $2000. Unlike when these firearms were invented, labor is expensive, machines are better able to hold tolerances, and materials cheap. When they were designed, it was the opposite, and it was cheaper to make the parts bigger and pay someone to hand fit each one. Those days are gone and so until someone creates a gun with 1911 ergonomics that can be built repeatably on a CNC machine (something I'm honestly shocked that nobody did a long time ago given the 1911's popularity), we 1911 lovers just have to spend a little more.