Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use stock barrel for limited division Glocks?

ICEMAN550

I am look at getting a limited glock 17/34 or 22/35, but trying to keep the price down to $1000 or less if possible. I can get the gun at blue label price $460. If I add Dawson rear with fiber optic front sight maybe $100. Looking at trigger kits mainly for convenience. Thinking of Edge, Vogel, Vanek or Fulcrum which range $150-250. I am new to this, but already have holster, belt 3 glock 17 magazines and mag holders. I guess the thread title is misleading, but does a custom barrel make a noticeable difference? I have shot glocks with lone wolf barrel and didn't notice a difference. Right now I am thinking $700-800 to get what I have discussed above. Other stuff like oversized magwell could be added later. I really never had a problem reloading fast without one. If I competition barrel is important I am still right around $1000.

I want a limited or production glock suitable for competition, but reliable for carry with simple adjustment. If I can get about a 4# trigger, smooth out trigger, shorten reset , it would probably good for either. Some of the drop in kits are adjustable and can get trigger down to 3# and switch springs for USPSA limited.

Does this make sense? I probably wouldn't carry it much as I have glock 19 and 26 stock with night sights already. Just wanted to have the option.

I used a stock Glock barrel in my G-35 for quite a while. I only replaced it after I had a squib load (from some borrowed ammo) bulge my stock barrel.

Glock barrels are probably as good as any... The accuracy often comes from an aftermarket barrel fitting (or being fit) tighter.

You DON"T need a barrel unless you are going to shoot lead bullets. (even then you don't, but you must be very diligent) You will be

hard pressed to need more accuracy than the stock barrel provides.

I would hold off on the "big ticket" trigger parts too. Just pick up a TTI or LoneWolf spring / connector kit (less than $25) and search the forum for the how-to of the trigger polishing.

BUY, or BUILD lots of ammo!!! and Shoot a BUNCH. That will serve you much better then spending on bolt-on's.

Here's what I would do for a limited build

Glock- 460

Sights- 80 (Zev, Dawson, etc)

Springs and connector- 45 (ghost pro)

Glock made trigger- 45

Lone wolf barrel- 110

Zev magwell- 130

Stainless guide rod- 30

Boom! $900 bucks. Oh have $100 for a basic stipple job or to spend on bullets.

Aftermarket barrels improve accuracy only a minuscule amount according to my belief. BUT, they do allow the carefree shooting of any bullet without worrying about carbon/lead buildup in the polygonal 'corners' of the stock barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. All the posts were very helpful. I think I will get the ghost 3.5, polish internals, keep stock barrel and wait on magwell. Looks like I can get going for under $700. Also anyone try talon grips? Thinking of getting a set for $15 and if I don't like it get a stipple job.

I'll ditto Patrick. If you are shooting Jacketed or Plated bullets, stock barrel is fine. A Lonewolf or TTI connector and springs, a little polish and you will be set to go.

If you really want a specific recommendation, got to go with this one: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156085

I have used the Talon grips and I do like them more than stippling.

I'd say stick with the stock barrel. If you are just starting off you will never notice the difference between the stock barrel and any of the aftermarket barrels. If you are shooting uspsa you won't need it as we aren't shooting at any x rings. I'll mimic post #3 in that I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a trigger right now, get a spring and connector kit. A magwell does help but you can shoot limited without it for sure if you want to cut costs. The only thing I would really suggest is a new set up sights, TTI are what I use and they are great. You can also pick up a few TTI basepads for limted.

On a side note, if you are going to be shooting limited I would suggest your choice be in .40 (22 or 35) as you will be scored minor with 9mm

I would actually like a 22 or 35 since I have been carrying a 40 on duty for primary handgun the last 16 years. Unfortunately I have not started reloading yet(hopefully in the near future). It is a tough call as my issued 40 ammo is probably a little hotter than what most are using and 9mm target is cheap. A 40 is definitely on my short list since I do not own one personally. I have glocks 26, 19, 30s and 21.

I would definaty get a 40 if you are going to shoot limited. You can get a conversion barrel for 9mm.

To the original question, some say the aftermarket barrel really helps accuracy, i just got on because my factory barrel was older amd i was getting severe buldge in my 35.

Not to side track this but if you use a bullet like Black Bullet International do you need to take extra care with the barrel or cleaning vs. jacketed bullets?

I shot thousands of Ibejiheads (similar) through a stock G35 barrel, no serious issues. I gave it a good scrub every 1k or so.

Stock barrel! Your skills will have a much larger effect than .5" tighter group from benchrest at 30 yards.

Go with the dawsons extensions over the arredondos especially if doing and indoor matches. I've personally had arredondos crack from hitting concrete.

I have a Glock 34 with a factory barrel. I'm using Xtreme bullets, 147 grain. I'm thinking about getting a KKM barrel and then casting my own bullets?

My Glock 34 has roughly 8,000 rds through it and I have not had a single stove pipe, ftf, fte, etc ...

I'm shooting limited and having a great time with my Glock!

Some stock barrels are great. Some require an aftermarket barrel to realize the guns true potential. I have a factory g20c that outshoots my BarSto, kkm, lonewolf. But I've also had my groups shrink significantly with an aftermarket barrel swap in my g17, g35.