Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex introducing new 3-gun scope?

ambluemax

What are yall using for mounts on this budget priced optic?

Warne X-skel gen 2. Seems solid and as a bonus Warne supports the sport. Picked up a second one off the RM3G prize table.

I have the 3" offset from Vortex. It is well made and works great. I think the 2" would have also worked, but I didn't want to have the scope mount as far forward as I have seen some others.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warne X-skel gen 2. Seems solid and as a bonus Warne supports the sport. Picked up a second one off the RM3G prize table.

I have the 3" offset from Vortex. It is well made and works great. I think the 2" would have also worked, but I didn't want to have the scope mount as far forward as I have seen some others.

Are these the rebranded ADM mounts? I have several of those. They are great!

Anybody else rocking the new Samson DMR. Samson is a huge supporter of 3-gun which I like. My 10% discount code puts them around $135 at Optics Planet. That's about the cheapest I've seen for a ADM/LaRue quality QD mount.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sam-dmr30-0-dmr-30mm-mount-0-offset.html

373D0206-E109-4A56-B387-72F24DED8CBA_zps

Anybody else rocking the new Samson DMR. Samson is a huge supporter of 3-gun which I like. My 10% discount code puts them around $135 at Optics Planet. That's about the cheapest I've seen for a ADM/LaRue quality QD mount.

Looks like a nice mount, especially for the price. It looks like O.P. doesn't carry the 3" model you have pictured though... At least I can't find it on their site.

Edited by hartofthethumb

Looks like a nice mount, especially for the price. It looks like O.P. doesn't carry the 3" model you have pictured though... At least I can't find it on their site.
Chance are the are just drop shipping them from Samson. So they likely carry evetything Samson sells. It can be hard to find stuff on Optics Planet sometimes simply because they have so much stuff. What I do is gontonthe manufacturers site and get the item number then copy/paste into the OP search on their site. Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Vortex has discontinued the rebranded ADM mounts. (Not that that isn't what roadie is using). They are going with rebranded bobro mounts now.

Hmmm. I've never tried a bobro mount.

They are awsome. The precision rifle community loves them and so do I. No adjustment is needed when going from different rail to rail (upper to upper) it holds on super tight. Never noticed zero shift on any of mine when taking them on and off. One guy tested them on Snipers hide and shot a 5 shot group removing the scope between each shot and it help zero and grouped well.

Pat

I finally got to use mine in a match last weekend and am happy with it. Worked as expected and didn't have me wishing for more. Reticle hold overs are pretty close with my ammo and we had steel out to 440 yards.

Going by the lines I have to hold 450 yards in the reticle to hit a 500 yard target with my 69gr ammo.

Local store just got 6 of them in, so they are definitely filtering out to the dealers.

Edited by mscott

Mounted one of these on M'Lady's rifle with a 2" offset Vortex mount. Had it out after the RO's shot the FNH match and we played with it on stage 9 (with permission since we had all already shot the stage. Dope matched my Razor as expected. Everyone also looked at the illumination and agreed it was easily visible at noon on a sunny day.

Very satisfied. She is thrilled which is likely most important..... :goof:

Took my new Strike Eagle to the range today for initial sighting in. I mounted on my Rock River also using the 2" Vortex offset mount. I also added the Vortex SV-4 throw lever. I am very pleased with scope, mount, etc. Sighted-in at 50 yds. First group was about 1 in right and 1/2 inch low. After a little playing was able to obtain good, consistent groups using .223 PMC Bronze ammo. At 100 yds, using top of stadia.....good groups, slightly high (less than an inch) with the PMC bronze but dead on with some 5.56 PMC X-TAC and Federal XM193 I had in my bag. Didn't take the time to do any closer practicing and our longer range is closed for maintenance, but so far I really like the reticle.

I am no expert, usually no more than 1/2 dozen local 3 Gun matches a year and middle of the pack shooter on my best day, but I think for the $ this scope is a great value. I am replacing my old, reliable Leupold CQT (1-3 power with circle/dot reticle) and really happy to have the 1-6 power and hash marks. Eye relief and eye box also seems better to me and reticle is daylight bright. This may not be a $1000 plus scope but I think it will be fine for me. Looking forward to giving it a try in a 3 Gun match!

Edited by GLF

Moved my StrikeEagle to my Rhino Arms RA-5R HMR in 7.62mm for Generation III Gun Championship this weekend. Gonna see how it holds up to some .30 caliber abuse. Of course this thing shoots as soft as a stock .223 M4 with all its low mass internals and adjustable gas system. So it may not be the most tortuous of tests.

4C83CF38-6B91-460B-820C-14E7C06ED0A5_zps

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

That samson mount looks pretty stout, any idea on the weight? Also, what charging handle is that in the pic?

Had my SE out today at the range doing some practice drills and some bench shooting at 200 yards. Still loving it, can't beat it at it's price point. Finally got my mom out to shoot the 15-22 as well so great day all around.

Good luck at Gen III gun!

Moved my StrikeEagle to my Rhino Arms RA-5R HMR in 7.62mm for Generation III Gun Championship this weekend. Gonna see how it holds up to some .30 caliber abuse. Of course this thing shoots as soft as a stock .223 M4 with all its low mass internals and adjustable gas system. So it may not be the most tortuous of tests.

What throw lever is on the strike eagle? I have been searching for one to put on my build.

That samson mount looks pretty stout, any idea on the weight? Also, what charging handle is that in the pic?

Had my SE out today at the range doing some practice drills and some bench shooting at 200 yards. Still loving it, can't beat it at it's price point. Finally got my mom out to shoot the 15-22 as well so great day all around.

Good luck at Gen III gun!

The Samson mount is a rock! It's only $135ish from Optics Planet with my 10% code too. I have the adm and a LaRue. I'll weigh all 3 next week.

What throw lever is on the strike eagle? I have been searching for one to put on my build.
It's a $30 3D printed model from 3gunstuff.com. It fits in between the $25 universal eagle eye from MGM Targets and the higher dollar aluminum Switchview quite well.

http://www.3gunstuff.com/?page_id=218

http://www.mgmswitchview.com/switchview-levers/eagle-eye-universal-fit-switchview-lever-black

Jesse,

How did the scope hold up in the Gen 3 match?

Also how would this scope compare to my MTAC 1-4 in the way of glass quality and other features? Is this scope worth switching to from the MTAC to gain the 1-6x advantage?

Mike

Jesse,

How did the scope hold up in the Gen 3 match?

Also how would this scope compare to my MTAC 1-4 in the way of glass quality and other features? Is this scope worth switching to from the MTAC to gain the 1-6x advantage?

Mike

I dumped it like I always do. The illumination cap is pretty banged up but it held. I had some issues with my mid range holds but I hit the 320 yard stuff fine because that lined up directly with the third hash in the BDC. The eye box definitely isn't as forgiving as the razor or my swaros. The recoil of my .308 Had me adjusting my head position a bit more then usual to keep my eye relief perfect. I'll prolly out this back on the RA-15 and put the razor on the 7.62 befor fallen brethren.

The results were good though.

830CEA32-E247-480A-BDFB-12815D8DF6D2_zps

I just got off the phone with a rep at Optics Planet. They have 300 units inbound with an ETA of 9/5/15. I ordered 7/15/15 and she said I would definitely get one of those units.

What happened with this? I ordered before you and still no word on mine.

Received my Strike Eagle yesterday. Mounted it up and and gave it a quick look. At best I can call it a value. It shows all the signs of China glass. Its not edge to edge clear. The last 25% of the field of view is soft and there are spots within the scope that the focus comes and goes. Scope while not heavy looks long. Not what I would call day light bright but I do like the reticle. I also seem to have a fair amount of movement up/down & side/side within the fast focus adjustment. Dont know if this will make sense but at 1x at times I have issue with seeing ONE sharp image. Its as if I am getting one and half images unless I really take the time to look hard at the target or close my off eye. I will get it to the range to see how it performs under fire.

The scope is what it is and thats a value at best to me. I would play with it on a 3 gun rifle or have no issue running it possibly on my Blackout but would never consider it a work gun optic or the scope I take beyond a local match.

I also received the Vortex 3" extended mount and again best I can come up with is value. It doesn't fit the 30mm tube well at all. In fact its a little large. While it does clamp the tube down mine is a little wide at the sides which means the tube is not fully supported. I will be putting it in a different mount before heading of to the range.

I am not disappointed because I realize its $300 glass and not $2K. It has a great warranty behind it and I have seen far worse glass from China. My Burris MTACs have better glass and dont have the issue I pointed out above. Guess for the money if you only need 4x there are some better options but I wanted 6x and this appears to be the entry point.

Received my Strike Eagle yesterday. Mounted it up and and gave it a quick look. At best I can call it a value. It shows all the signs of China glass. Its not edge to edge clear. The last 25% of the field of view is soft and there are spots within the scope that the focus comes and goes. Scope while not heavy looks long. Not what I would call day light bright but I do like the reticle. I also seem to have a fair amount of movement up/down & side/side within the fast focus adjustment. Dont know if this will make sense but at 1x at times I have issue with seeing ONE sharp image. Its as if I am getting one and half images unless I really take the time to look hard at the target or close my off eye. I will get it to the range to see how it performs under fire.

The scope is what it is and thats a value at best to me. I would play with it on a 3 gun rifle or have no issue running it possibly on my Blackout but would never consider it a work gun optic or the scope I take beyond a local match.

I also received the Vortex 3" extended mount and again best I can come up with is value. It doesn't fit the 30mm tube well at all. In fact its a little large. While it does clamp the tube down mine is a little wide at the sides which means the tube is not fully supported. I will be putting it in a different mount before heading of to the range.

I am not disappointed because I realize its $300 glass and not $2K. It has a great warranty behind it and I have seen far worse glass from China. My Burris MTACs have better glass and dont have the issue I pointed out above. Guess for the money if you only need 4x there are some better options but I wanted 6x and this appears to be the entry point.

Well said. I'd agree an all points.