Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex introducing new 3-gun scope?

ambluemax

Anyone have this and the Primary Arms 1–6x scope? I am curious how they compare side-to-side, other than the reticle—honestly, crossgun's description sounds like it could have been written about the PA. :) I also note that they are the same weight and the same price.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have this and the Primary Arms 16x scope? I am curious how they compare side-to-side, other than the reticlehonestly, crossgun's description sounds like it could have been written about the PA. :) I also note that they are the same weight and the same price.

I have them both as well as a $2001-6x from Amazon. They all look identical in size and shape and windage/elevation knobs. I'd bet money that the same Chinese kids assemble them all.

The glass in the Amazon scope is bad and there is no reticle to speak of.

The PA is a decent scope. I might actually like the reticle more too except for that weird moving target thing on the side. But since PA doesn't support 3-gun and the fact that I actually shoot several matches with a few of the guys that work at Voryex I'm not supporting PA over vortex and I suggest you do the same if you value the support vortex gives the shooting sports.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

The PA is a decent scope. I might actually like the reticle more too except for that weird moving target thing on the side. But since PA doesn't support 3-gun and the fact that I actually shoot several matches with a few of the guys that work at Vortex I'm not supporting PA over vortex and I suggest you do the same if you value the support vortex gives the shooting sports.

Oh, I am all for supporting sponsors of the sport, but when I picked up the PA they were the only ones offering that kind of scope for that price. The next time I need to pick up an extra back-up scope, I will certainly look at the Vortex.

Now, is Vortex going to come out with their version of the PA 1–8x FFP? :)

I also ordered one in July for my son's graduation present. It's a drag it's taking so long to get. I called them this week and they told me their September shipment was delayed with a new date of mid October. A February delivery date is ridiculous and I hope someone there misspoke.

I got a strike eagle tonight for the money it seems pretty good.

Glass is pretty clear but a little fuzzy on the edges.

The illumination is brighter than I expected and was fairly visible in sunlight.

The eye box is ok tightens up a lot as the power increases, pretty sensitive at 6x.

I was comparing it to my Leupold mark AR mod 1 1.5-4x20 and the leupold seemed more clear especially at the edges ,

and a more forgiving eye box.

The strike eagle will probably get sold as I bought both and planned to keep the one I liked better.

Between the Mtac and Vortex, which has the more forgiving eyebox. I'm debating cancelling my StikeEagle order to pick up another Mtac

On 1X it doesn't matter both are big. The 4X on the MTAC is going to be more forgiving the almost any other scope on 6x.

The 6x on the StrikeEagle is less forgiving then my razor or swaro. It was prolly my biggest issues when shooting heavy mental with the StrikeEagle at Gen 3 Gun.

It's not bad though. Nothing like the crappy eye box on the old Millet dms 2-4 I used to have.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• 2 weeks later...

Received my 1-6X Strike Eagle a few weeks back and mounted in on top of my 10/22 minirifle. Have been shoting it for a while and it is a very good scope for IPSC-type fast shooting. Even the reticle is ok for IPSC Mini target widely used in Mini-rifle competitions. Of course people used to different reticles may hate it. They must then buy something else. Actually I bought my scope from somebody who did not get along with the reticle at all.

I do not understand why people want to compare this Strike Eagle to Vortex Razor HD II 1-6X24 like they were supposedly somehow close to each other. They are totally different beasts. Strike Eagle costs 300 USD and Razor HD II costs somewehre 1200-1400 USD. There are good reasons why the latter one is a better scope. I did not want to pay 1400 USD for scope that will be mounted on top of a 500 USD plinking rifle. So each scope has it´s place.

• 2 weeks later...

My only gripe about the SE is the illumination knob that doesn't have an off setting between each brightness setting. And the fact there is not an "auto off" for it. OTher than that its a pretty decent optic compared to the MTAC. The glass is just as clear and the 6x is really nice over the MTAC. For the money its a smoking deal. I also like how it comes with flip up scope caps for coyote hunting and banging around in the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine today and replaced a red dot on my carbine.

My match rifle has a Razor HD w the JM reticle.

For the money, it is good to go.

Functionally, it works fine, glass is good.

Mounted and sighted it in. Ran 50 rounds through it.

That being said, on a bright, sunny day in Fl, the illumination is barely noticeable. Cloudy, should be fine.

I know that the cost to put the JM reticle was probably prohibitive, but adding a very bright point in the center and get rid of the horse shoe (for me) more like the JM would have made this a sure winner. Very much worth another $100 or $150. Not too much into the reticle.

I'll try it for a couple of up close matches. Keeping an open mind.

Yesterday I was able to try my new Strike Eagle for the first time in a match. Really like it! Very satisfied with clarity, illumination (part to full sun all day) and reticle.

Longest shots were a 17 target array of 8 inch targets at 115 yards. No problem getting solid hits although as previously stated on here, the eye box is a little tight. Where the Strike Eagle really shined for me was on the short yardage stages (40 yards and in) where our diabolical MD had placed multiple challenging targets, including some clays, that required shots through small ports, near and far, around cover and no-shoots and from various different physical positions. I like the reticle.....I am coming off of a circle, dot previous scope....so I may have a little different perspective than others. I find the horse shoe quick for alignment and the hash marks great for hold overs on close in as well as distant targets. As long as I do my part, this scope will get the job done.

For less than $350 I believe the Strike Eagle to be a great bargain, have excellent quality and be just what I have been looking for in a scope.

Gary