Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why no Tavor in 3gun ?

RippSpeed

I would bet we have shooters running all kinds of rifles other than AR's, but I doubt very seriously any of them

will find the podium at a major match.

The AR ergo's are very hard to beat. Its modularity is nearly unmatched. accuracy rivals many bolt guns,

the reliability superb and they are very affordable.

Got an oddity you wanna shoot??? Do it, cause it is.....FUN!

We have a local guy that shoots his in some of the club level matches. Magazine swaps are ant-in-tree-sap slow, and installing a brake that controls muzzle movement that close to your face is, well, unpleasant. :) He drops probably 10% below his normal placement level when he uses it.

My wife was shooting a Tavor B16 with a Burris MTAC for all of 2014. The Tavor is a great shooter, but we'll be building an AR for her over the winter. The biggest problem she experienced with the Tavor was propping on barricades/props/etc.

I really like the Tavor. Totalling about 2k rounds through it, and it's a damn solid shooter, it's just not a competition gun. Lots of fun to shoot tho.

I have a Tavor the following is compared to my 18 inch race AR

Mag swaps are really fast, around 1.5 sec

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ULLl-8jk0

Trigger sucks for small targets past 300 yards

Brass does not hit me in the face shooting lefty

There is hardly no muzzle rise, I run a break on it and it's no worse than my 18" race AR

It's hard to shoot off barricades

Transitions from target to target is crazy fast, you will over sweep them if you're not used to it

Edited by Finbox

I would bet we have shooters running all kinds of rifles other than AR's, but I doubt very seriously any of them

will find the podium at a major match.

The AR ergo's are very hard to beat. Its modularity is nearly unmatched. accuracy rivals many bolt guns,

the reliability superb and they are very affordable.

Got an oddity you wanna shoot??? Do it, cause it is.....FUN!

I do :) I shoot an ACR and plan to try out the Desert Tech MDR when it's released.

I own a few bullpubs including the Tavor. I would never use them in any serious matches. Bad trigger, slow reloads, difficult to clear.

I really like the platform and it is fun, but I like the AR platform for action shooting matches.

I have a friend who was running one at local matches, and at practices we have been doing at our home club, he liked it until he ran the same stages with his Tavor and then with my rifle, and another firends AR and looked at his times on each, he won with the AR's on five out of five stages. he is now building an AR, he is keeping the Tavor as a cross training platform though.

Haha its like shooting a revo at a uspsa match instead of an open gun. Its probably a good cross training tool to practice trigger control. but sight -bore offset is killer.

also even with some 2850 fps reloads through it. it has notably more recoil than the most basic carbine AR15.

Edited by StravIs09

Height over bore is bad, and optics designed to work with AR height over bore for BDC will not work with it.

The fore arm is a bad shape in standard configuration for bracing or support on barricades

The barrel being closer to the shooters face causes an increased dust signature when shooting prone and makes it harder to see targets down range more rapidly.

Every time I've seen someone using one at local matches they struggle with issues related to these things.

A friend of mine runs one in local 3-Gun and was one of at least 3 that I saw at the Crimson Trace match. His Eotech sat 4" over the bore and his light/laser lived 4" under the bore on a CT grip. It made for some interesting cross-over points, but he ran a green laser to keep his dots straight. He seems to run it pretty well and we worked out a zero for the Eotech that is dead on at 300 yards, which is the longest steel at our local range. He has since installed a Gieselle trigger pack in it, which helped a lot. He's sold on it, but as a lefty it sends brass into my beard. Somewhat convenient for saving your brass, but it keeps me from borrowing it.

If it gave a serious competitive edge, people would be using them. It doesn't, so they don't.

If you have one and want to have fun with it, knock yourself out. We had one or two show up at the Indiana Multigun series matches a time or two so they are around.

Haha its like shooting a revo at a uspsa match instead of an open gun. Its probably a good cross training tool to practice trigger control. but sight -bore offset is killer.

also even with some 2850 fps reloads through it. it has notably more recoil than the most basic carbine AR15.

If 3gun had a bullpup division as USPSA has a revo division, that would make more sense. Other than that, the dodgy trigger and strange reloads are hardly similar :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YgNjfXbjrk0

I don't know why everybody thinks the reloads are slow. Look at the video above.

Shooting hand moves back on the the grip and drops mag. (Does not come all the way off the grip)

Shove mag in magwell and in one motion slide hand up mag and press HUGE bolt release...done.

There is a lot less movement than a AR mag change.

I agree it's not competitive, but it's fun.

Edited by Finbox