Are you running a rear sight?

OscarMike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to see the guys who don't have rear sights on their shotguns shooting slugs with higher accuracy requirements such as smaller targets, farther away

Or rolled over from the low ports on a VTAC barricade and make CONSISTENT & FAST hits because they "know" where their slugs land

There is "knowing" and there is KNOWING, and when the shooting actually gets hard there is no substitute for a properly zeroed firearm

Some guys will do well and others will come to appreciate a rear sight quickly because fitted or not, you're not going to line up easy or fast positioned like that

Just a upside down pyramid able to hit 10" out to 100 yard. For those that have added a rear sight have you actual noticed it improve your hits & speed ratio shooting @ distance, or In your opinion its not necessary.

No sight, 100 yards and in with cheap forster type slugs, it is simply not necessary. I have deer hunted with slug guns for 20 years and have never gone home without one. It is simply point and shoot with a 26" barrel and bead site.

Edited by Flash74

everyone goes apes%&^t and worries about the .89% of the time you pull a trigger on a shotgun and theres a slug in the chamber. almost always at the expense of the other 99.11% of shots.

Almost without question, if its too long to hit without a rear sight we all would be better off shooting once, taking the miss and moving on.

Well i somewhat agree for the huge steel and one hit anywhere on a full sized IPSC target anything will do, but for over seas where it is two on paper for score or shooting a clay birds out to 50 meters or 8 1/2x11 option targets give me a rear sight every time!! Oh and I do have one every time. I have won a lot of slug stages because of it.

Yes definitely. Adjustable rear STI sight dovetailed into the vent rib and zeroed. Taking the guesswork out of shooting is always a good thing.

I am interested too on putting a rear sight, The STI rear you mentioned, its this the Bomar Style or their Tac adjustable, maybe a pics would help, thanks

Kurt can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's all about fit and focus. For clays, steel and any birdshot type target it's all about fit. I don't use the sights for these shots even though they are there. Mount the gun, look down the rib and focus on the targets. If a slug target is presented load slug, shift focus to sights and make the shot. It's not like a set of sights on the shotgun prevent you from shooting it like a shotgun when you need to, which is most of the time. It's like some are implying that if you have a set of sights on the shotgun you must always shoot it like a rifle, but you don't.

Yes Mr. Bakus, fit IS critical! However we aren't alway in a nice standing position where it helps. We kneel, shoot roll over prone leaning way left or right, sometimes almost started ding on our heads, which can really change how our eye lines up behind the rib. A rear sight really helps align the barrel when everything else is "dynamic"

Yes Mr. Bakus, fit IS critical! However we aren't alway in a nice standing position where it helps. We kneel, shoot roll over prone leaning way left or right, sometimes almost started ding on our heads, which can really change how our eye lines up behind the rib. A rear sight really helps align the barrel when everything else is "dynamic"

Isn't that what I said? Shoot it like a shotgun when you can, use the sights when you need to... fit and focus.

I aim. Probably why I suck at sporting clays and aerial poppers.

I don't know what kind of Heavy Duty Launcher it would take, but aerial (pepper) Poppers might be fun!
Obviously you haven't shot a Bryan Ray/Brian Vaught 3 gun match yet...:-)

I don't know what kind of Heavy Duty Launcher it would take, but aerial (pepper) Poppers might be fun!

I most certainly have on several occasions....I was just having some fun in that it is the big heavy steel pepper poppers that activate aerial "clays" not aerial poppers. The idea that one could launch skyward a 40 pound pepper popper had me laughing.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I most certainly have on several occasions....I was just having some fun in that it is the big heavy steel pepper poppers that activate aerial "clays" not aerial poppers. The idea that one could launch skyward a 40 pound pepper popper had me laughing.

Didn't someone make a flipper that tossed a metal target that looked like the tiny face sucking thing from Alien? Thats what popped into my head!

• 2 weeks later...