Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNH 3-Gun Nation

Have you ever watched the TV show? Do you watch it regularly?

I see the post about rifles getting shorter and the reasons given are often that they are better for the 3 gun nation style of matches. How many people are actually watching the shows and being influenced by them? If you enjoy the show give us some reasons. Are your buying habits being effected by what you see on the show? I don't get the show and couldn't watch at that time anyway so I have never seen an episode. I am quite curious to find out how many here actually watch the show.

I just switched packages on my cable service and now I get the channel that carries it so I've been watching it more via DVR. I often FF through the ad's but sometimes watch them. As a fairly established 3-gun shooter I've not been influenced to buy new / different gear or guns but I can see how a new shooter could have selections influenced.

The commentary on what the Pro shooters are doing has caused me to think more about my techniques and what might or might not be faster and how to apply individual abilities to various kinds of stages.

IMO: They shot themselves in the foot by not streaming content. I don't own cable and barely watch tv outside of Walking dead. A while ago I asked several different friends (about 20 or so) that are about in my age group and only 5 of them subscibe to a cable company. Streaming is the future.

IMO: They shot themselves in the foot by not streaming content. I don't own cable and barely watch tv outside of Walking dead. A while ago I asked several different friends (about 20 or so) that are about in my age group and only 5 of them subscibe to a cable company. Streaming is the future.

Same here. I dropped cable but even when I had it I didn't have the sports package required to watch it. I saw a few shows before it moved networks and wish it would stream online now.

Same here. I dropped cable but even when I had it I didn't have the sports package required to watch it. I saw a few shows before it moved networks and wish it would stream online now.

This? http://3gunnation.com/tv_show/past_episodes Seems to run about 6 months behiind.

I watch fairly regularly. As for influencing my gear selection, it's not even a consideration. Those guys are pros, shooting a course designed for pros to go fast. Actually, my main consideration for gear selection is my wallet, followed closely by what works in my area.

I like watching the 3-Gun Nation Club TV series, it showcases local ranges and shooters.. I find this much more interesting than seeing the same 3-Gun Nation Pro's compete against each other in that quick "for TV" format. What influences my gear are Youtube videos of local shooters, this forum and what is working at my local matches.

This? http://3gunnation.com/tv_show/past_episodes Seems to run about 6 months behiind.

Better than nothing but the most recent streaming episodes are from matched in 2011?

I have cable now for the first time in......almost ever I guess. Even with my 300 channels, I unfortunately do not get the channel that 3GunNation's TV show comes on. I have watched every episode that was listed online.

I do not believe that live streaming the shootoff online would be as easily done as the episodes, knowing that shooting started early in the morning until late in the afternoon for the final shootoff. With Nascar you can get drunk, pass out, and wake up without missing too much.......but blink or take a bathroom break and your pick for the win gets eliminated! I would consider it a good idea to have an agreement with registered 3GN members to have the episodes available 1 day or 1 week after it airs when you log in to your 3GN account. You could possibly get some additional 3GN memberships if your contracts with the station carrying the show does not prevent it.

I watch the show on DVR. I miss the old format, it was a much more entertaining show then.

As for gear . . .I like to know who is supporting our sport (although through advertising dollars). I will surely give those companies a first look when shopping for new gear, but ultimately I'm going to get what works best for me.

Have I ever seen it? Yes and I thought it was neat. If I was going to make it a point to watch television, a show about 3 Gun would be at the top of the list - that being said, I don't watch much TV and I don't watch the show.

Gear selection? Seeing what the shooters who are on the show are using is a good indicator of whether something deserves to be evaluated, but I don't go buy stuff because its on TV. Word of mouth from trusted shooters & friends is how I have ended up with most of the gear I currently use and planning to use next year.

ok I have to admit... I watch the show and I did build a short rifle because of the show. I come into 3 gun from USPSA; I was shooting open in USPSA and I prefer the 3GN style matches and stages over something like Task Force Dagger. I am more of a drag racer than a marathoner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm on the Pro series and don't get the channel. Go figure. :unsure:

I can top that...I don't have a TV! (you might know I am part of the show)

That's too funny.

3 Gun Nation show doesn't keep my attention.

But shooting USA always keeps my attention. Like said earlier, must be the format.

I do DVR 3 Gun Nation and fast forward to Pats tech tips or gear tips, whatever it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the Pro series and don't get the channel. Go figure. :unsure:

I can top that...I don't have a TV! (you might know I am part of the show)

That's too funny.

3 Gun Nation show doesn't keep my attention.

But shooting USA always keeps my attention. Like said earlier, must be the format.

I do DVR 3 Gun Nation and fast forward to Pats tech tips or gear tips, whatever it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sincerely thank you for that!

I watch the show and somewhat enjoy keeping up with who is doing what on the leader board and the sports like commentators covering the match (good job Pat). Does it influence my buying, not necessarily, but it might if I see some new interesting equipment that I have not encountered at local 3 G matches. But I mostly buy try and see what works for me. The stuff that works stays on the belt and the stuff that does not goes up for sale or put on the shelf.

I opted for the overpriced cable package to get Sportsman Network and Outdoor channel. So I not only watch 3GN but Shooting USA, Impossible Shots and if it were to come back, I like watching Hot Shots. I like any of the shows that have good match coverage. I watch some of the other shows occasionally for entertainment as the host seem no more gun wise that the average guy behind a gun counter. Most of these other shows are like 30 minute infomercials anyway.

I do have one observation from watching 3GN. It amazes me how now a gun left in a unsafe condition in barrel or bucket , is now just a 20 second penalty vs a DQ. It is not even a stage DQ. I also seem to see some 180 violations , especially with the SG when loading deuces or quads while moving on horizontal lines. As they run while loading you can see muzzle sweeping as the hips move while running. Of course, it may just be the bad angle from the view of the camera. But most of all I hate to see the hot re-holstering. It seems ironic that they start with an empty chamber on the pistol, but then later on the clock re-holster with hot gun. When this was first questioned one reply was this was for the the 3GN Pros only and they were experts and could handle it ( of course this is now occurring in club level monthly matches now as well) . Well while watching these PROS I have seen the best of the best dump his pistol in an unsafe manner, during the shoot offs for the Championship , and the BEST of the BEST had accidental discharges with their shotguns. Well , all this is cool, cause I know these things happen and that is why muzzle control is one of the main safety features of action sport shooting. However, not if , but when one of these guys has an AD while holstering the effects will be a lot different. It is really cool that in this goofy political climate we can actually get TV coverage and it seems to be growing , which is good. However, one slip and someone shoot himself in the thigh and I bet you would be hard pressed to get much more TV coverage.

Sorry for my rambling on , and I only want to see 3GN, USPSA, Steel Challenge, B Cup and other great shooting sports continue to grow and prosper and continue to be accepted in mainstream USA. Can't wait to see next seasons match coverage :cheers:

As a "life support sport" I truly believe that people should have the skill to "hot re-holster". I practice it all the time at speed, after all it is a dynamic world in which we live.

With that stated, I agree that it probably shouldn't be part of a made for T.V. show. Already we are getting dump barrels shot, ground blasted, hot guns treated like a rented mule, etc. and I can tell you how the general shooting public looks at that, let alone the public at large.

I do enjoy the thought though, of a "BEST of the BEST" shooter becoming an internet legend along the same lines of the A.T.F. Agent who was the "only one professional enough to handle a firearm". Not that I wish a self inflicted leg or foot injury on anyone, but you got to admit it would be great T.V. Matter of fact the more I think about it, it should be live streaming!!! :roflol:

Edited by kurtm