Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Best Comp?

anilson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think jid2 did a pretty good job of making it less subjective, but we would benefit from having the same visuals of everyone else's comp. to do a side by side comparison. Even with that there are so many variables like different powders and charge weights and bullet weights it might be hard to really nail it down.

Hello: Having played around with most of the comps out there I decided to build my own. I tested them with 9mm and 38 super comp. I also tried different bullet weights and powders. I also tried different power factors as well. I even tried different barrel twists. Different comps do act different and some just don't work that well at all. Barrel porting will help some comps but really you are just making the barrel shorter and you have to add more powder to make major. A well designed comp can do it all on it's own. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have a couple out there with holes in the side (RO deflectors). For the powder they are using it seems to work well and stops the side to side wiggle (figure 8). I think my comp works well since the gas charge is not hitting a straight wall but is being split and directed up. A side benefit is there is hardly any buildup in the bottom of the comp. I played around with many different angles and designs and this one seems the best for dot tracking and less pressure on the hands. Thanks, Eric

Ray: It tracks straight up and down with most powders. 3n37, N350 it seems to do a wiggle. Those that have seen my gun and comp on other guns are very impressed with how flat they shoot. I have also been asked a bunch if I am shooting minor even at nationals. A trip to the chromo and magic 171-173PF. I am not saying other comps don't do the job but for me and others who have tried mine won't be using any other comp. Thanks, Eric

I shoot Eric's comp in 38SC. I run 9.1g of HS6 under a 115 MGJHP. Gets me 171PF and a soft hitting gun with straight up and down dot. I liked it so much I had him build me another. :)

I also found that the balance of the gun was nearly as important as the recoil impulse. What got me started on building my own comp was a desire to have a very light weight solution. With a plastic grip STI you don't need some heavy thing out there on the end of the barrel, and I wanted my gun to be light and fast in general. The comp is a MAJOR contributor to this feel. The comp I carved out of titanium is lighter than anything else you can get your hands on. It makes the gun feel very fast target to target. After doing so many versions of CFD I also was convinced you don't start with a big port.