Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unsafe gun handling for taking safety off while drawing

Sandbagger123

This kills me, I know that this is a Volunteer Sport (mostly) and that acting as an RO at a local match is just something we all need to help with, but come on, READ THE RULES. As a competitor you should know the rules, so that you can't be bullied by an over zealot RO. And as an RO you should know the rules so you don't say stupid shit like disabling the safety after the buzzer is a offence that might get one DQ'ed.

Rule books are available on-line in PDF, or a hard copy can be ordered for $3.00, check them out you might be surprised.

The closest thing in the rule book is under 8.5 but it really addresses that the safety "should" (not "must") be engaged while moving if not shooting while moving:

8.5 Movement
8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged. The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction.

Wha? Was there more to this?

I always disengage the safety after clearing the holster, but prior to horizontal..finger outside guard until on target.

Should never be an issue as long as it is not disengaged prior to clearing the holster. Agreed?

As far as I'm concerned as soon as the start your draw the safety can come off. It may be dumb to do it when you are sweeping your feet, but how in the name of bacon am I suppose to call that evenly as an RO? Single sides safeties would be a bitch to call, no? If can't enforce that equally it is dumb t even try.

Mike,

Really how did you get 10.5? That is the section that details unsafe gun handling, You are listed as an RO-w/Multi-Gun. Tell us how any of 10.5 would apply to this. Or is it your opinion that disabling a safety on a gun while not aiming at a target is unsafe? Sorry I am not trying to troll anyone, but the state of the RO community as a whole is really starting to frighten me.

went to a match yesterday and saw a shooter get a warning about drawing his 2011 and taking the safety off before it went horizontal. threaten to D/Q him if he saw it again.

So is this a valid reason for a D/Q?

Love to see that RO tell a pro shooter that.

LOL! I did not say I agreed with it I said that the rule about unsafe gun handling leaves room for an overzealous RO to declare things that are not specifically listed as "unsafe".

I definitely disagree since under 10.5 there is already SPF more specific rule covering this exact scenario. It only applies while the gun is actually in the holster of course. That RO has no grounds for that call.

"10.5.11 Holstering a loaded handgun, in any of the following conditions:

10.5.11.1 A single action self-loading pistol with the safety not applied."

This kills me, I know that this is a Volunteer Sport (mostly) and that acting as an RO at a local match is just something we all need to help with, but come on, READ THE RULES. As a competitor you should know the rules, so that you can't be bullied by an over zealot RO. And as an RO you should know the rules so you don't say stupid shit like disabling the safety after the buzzer is a offence that might get one DQ'ed.

Rule books are available on-line in PDF, or a hard copy can be ordered for $3.00, check them out you might be surprised.

best post of the day

Never actually saw him do it, he told me that is how he performed his draw. He also was very fast, he was a A class shooter in open division. I always thought it was an AD waiting to happen but he never had one. Best shooter reply is show me in the rule book where I can't do this.

This is probably legal, under the definition of "draw" in the Glossary (Appendix A3):

"The point at which a handgun is removed or disengaged from the holster so as to allow access to any portion of the interior of the trigger guard."

At the point the draw has begun (per above) you're no longer under 10.5.11.1 (above), where you have to have the safety applied when the gun is holstered in a loaded condition. It can't be both at the same time. So, as soon as the draw begins, you would be able to disengage the safety - but as was pointed out above, at the risk of an AD if you do it too fast.

I saw a guy with a Single Stack 1911 do just that at a Level I match, drew the gun and almost immediately fired. The bullet hit the ground only a couple of feet past his shoes. He was "DQd" but was allowed to finish the match, just not for score. Poor form, I believe.

Since then I've practiced releasing the safety after the gun leaves the holster and starts to get horizontal.

Let's say this was a DQable offense (which apparently it isn't), how many warnings do you get for committing DQable offenses?

There aren't supposed to be warnings. However, a lot of local (Level I) clubs seem to do that for Chapter 10 offenses, for unknown reasons. Trying to be nice, I guess. It's not safe and the shooter doesn't learn much.

This is probably legal, under the definition of "draw" in the Glossary (Appendix A3):

"The point at which a handgun is removed or disengaged from the holster so as to allow access to any portion of the interior of the trigger guard."

At the point the draw has begun (per above) you're no longer under 10.5.11.1 (above), where you have to have the safety applied when the gun is holstered in a loaded condition. It can't be both at the same time. So, as soon as the draw begins, you would be able to disengage the safety - but as was pointed out above, at the risk of an AD if you do it too fast.

I saw a guy with a Single Stack 1911 do just that at a Level I match, drew the gun and almost immediately fired. The bullet hit the ground only a couple of feet past his shoes. He was "DQd" but was allowed to finish the match, just not for score. Poor form, I believe.

Since then I've practiced releasing the safety after the gun leaves the holster and starts to get horizontal.

I have never heard of a DQed shooter being allowed to continue for no score. Not good.