Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using small pistol magnum primers in their .40S&W load?

DuplexAlpha

Had a chance to pick some CCI SP magnum primers but hesitated because I was unfamiliar with magnum primer reloads in .40S&W, and I didn't have any reliable load data for anything but small pistol primer.

Anyone using magnum primers in their .40S&W load? If so, why?

I used them for about a year without any issues at all, but the only reason I used them was because I couldn't find anything else in stock. I really didn't notice any change in velocity when using them either. Go buy them while you can!

I used a couple thousand of them when nothing else was available. I also detected no significant change in velocity or other behavior.

IMHO, unless you are beyond the ragged edge of reasonable (like loading Clay's for 40 major) you don't need to worry about the effect of different primers.

Just a little warning. I use spmp in my Shadow and 38s...no ill effects...but they are Win small pistol mag primers, which use the same cup as their small pistol primers. CCI uses the same cup as their SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS. They are notably harder than the CCI small pistol primers. There have been reports of breech face erosion in lower power rounds, from the primer not expanding and sealing the primer cup on the brass....

I've used EVERY type of small primer in pistol loads, I've used small rifle, small magnum pistol, small rifle magnums, they've all worked, and I've never had any leak.

Maybe I've been lucky.

I had 1k laying around so i loaded some match loads with them. Chrono. showed no difference in velocity than regular primers. used them in AL. and MS. state matches with no problem.

What brand were they? Did you notice any difference in say the hardness of the metal cup?

Just a little warning. I use spmp in my Shadow and 38s...no ill effects...but they are Win small pistol mag primers, which use the same cup as their small pistol primers. CCI uses the same cup as their SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS. They are notably harder than the CCI small pistol primers. There have been reports of breech face erosion in lower power rounds, from the primer not expanding and sealing the primer cup on the brass....

Don't know about reports but I am a believer. After loading and shooting about 15k rounds with small rifle primers in my G35, I now have a round primer sized ring eroded into the breech face around the striker hole. Shot three times as many with small pistol primers prior to that with no erosion so pretty confident loading with SRP contributed...

Could not say if the primer was the sole cause of the erosion as it was during the component crunch and I was loading any suitable powders I had on hand. If I could have found SPP I would not have loaded the SRPs.

Interesting, well I've got my hands on some Winchester SPP, and had an opportunity to pick up some CCI magnum SPP and like others almost didn't notice when the clerk handed them to me until I walked away a few steps. Ended up only getting the Winchester to be safe but thought I'd check with y'all first. Sounds like I should be ok using CCI magnum SPP in .40S&W loads, but ideally stick to the non-magnum SPP just to be safe.

Perhaps I'll pick some up and test and see how it goes? What obvious signs should I look for on the spent case?

I scored some Federal SPM primers during the 2008 foolishness. Now, my .40 open gun shows some breech face erosion. I used less than 7000. I am not really sure when it started.

YMMV,

Chuck

Thanks for the input! Did you notice anything odd in the spent cases that would have indicated a problem?

I have used Small Pistol Magnum primers (Winchester and CCI) when I was using Clays for .40 major loads and I noticed a 15 - 20 fps velocity bump verses using the Standard primers. The magnum primers did make a little difference in velocity with that load and it equaled about the same difference as adding 1 tenth more powder to the load. This was with Clays though and I have not tried it with other powders since moving away from using Clays for .40 major loads.

I would suspect that seeing a velocity difference between Standard and Magnum primers is closely linked to the burn rate of the powder and how much extra unused case volume you have after the bullet is seated. Faster burning powders would be more sensitive to Magnum primers. I would also suspect that the more unused case volume you have would dramatically change how much the Magnum primer affects the burning of the powder.

If you are loading with slow burning powders or using a powder drop volume that is nearly at compressed load, I would suspect that you wouldn't see much of a velocity difference in using Standard Primers verses Magnum Primers.

I scored some Federal SPM primers during the 2008 foolishness. Now, my .40 open gun shows some breech face erosion. I used less than 7000. I am not really sure when it started.

YMMV,

Chuck

Thanks for the input! Did you notice anything odd in the spent cases that would have indicated a problem?

I didn't really notice anything on the cases but then I didn't really look and I normally just leave the brass behind. When I finally noticed the breech face, I stopped using the SPM primers since that is the only thing that changed since the dawn of time...

I tried magnum primers with E3 and WSF. With E3 (9mm & .40S&W minor), the average velocity did not change, but the ES almost doubled. With WSF and .40 major, the velocity went up a little, like 10-15 fps and the ES was not affected.

I have been using AA#7 for Bowling Pins with Lead bullets, and with Winchester standard small pistol primers got a dusting of unburned powder everywhere. I had a few hundred Winchester small pistol magnum primers, so I tried them with the same load, and the unburned powder disappeared. I did not chronograph, but the POI was the same.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently loading 4.1gr of HP38 over a Federal SPM primer under Montana Gold 180gr CMJ bullets. It's butter-smooth in both my Edge and my M&P and I've not seen any ill-effects thusfar.

If you've got them, then run with them.

I bought a couple of cases of Federal magnum SP primers way back in the Clinton AWB days of primer famine. I had absolutely no issues with my Para. I did dial back my WST load back by a half grain and still made major confortably.