Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which division to start SO?

LegionShooter

My fiancé has taken an interest in the shooting sports after watching me practice and shooting some of my guns (and get DQ'd at the only match she's attended...). What division did most of your SOs start in? Reading around the net I've gotten mixed reviews. I'm going to let her pick the gun, although my initial thought is to start her in Limited (perhaps Limited minor even) so she can simply have fun shooting and going through stages with less worry about gaming mag changes. Obviously there will be regular practice and dry fire sessions for the necessary skills, but I want her to have as much fun as I do right off the bat.

Rimfire Challenge or Steel Challenge.

+1

Start her off with a Browning Buckmark 22 and go shoot the rimfire iron div of Steel Challenge. For about $375 she can get started in Action Shooting and find out if she likes it ... No reloading and no running around ... Just fast stand and shoot.

If she likes it you can upgrade the gun to an open rimfire gun and really have some fun and that will make the transition to USPSA open minor easier since she'll be used to shooting a dot gun. Ultimately she can even move to open major if she goes off the deep end.

Best part if it turns out she doen't like it you can take the Buckmark and do the same thing ... Or ....

You can just forget all that nonsense and have her man up and shoot Production ..... :)

Limited minor or Open (assuming you already have the rig)

It's likely that my wife will either go Limited Minor or Open her first match. Like others have said, no need to complicate things with reloads, etc - she'll just want to go have fun.

Fwiw, I only throw in Open because she has an easier time racking the slide on my open gun.

I've been considering the Limited Minor more over the others at this point for various reasons, although not 100% sure yet...and not forgetting she has a say in all of this as well. Open might not be a bad idea but the only thing making me question that is the gun. I have a limited 2011 we can share at matches for now (I'll just light load the ammo she uses). She's already fired this gun at the range a couple times and likes the feel and the trigger. With Open we're going to need an entirely new gun...although that's not a bad thing is it B)

Production. Why people try to removing stage planning from the equation is beyond me. That IS THE MAIN THING DIFFERENTIATING USPSA FROM IDPA, FREESTYLE. If that won't get her hooked, she probably is not that interested in action shooting. You can run around shooting stuff willy nilly in the hills, no need to stand around for 6-7 hours to shoot for 2 minutes if you do not like stage planning.

We all forget that women are social, and emotional and...nuff said.

They pursue things for very different reasons than men. She likely sees something mildly appealing and sees it as a chance to spend time with you. For some reason, they like that part too. I've been married almost 19 years, preceded by a year of friendship and 2 years of dating and my wife still tosses curves. For most of our relationship, she had no interest in going to the range. She came and watched a few times, but no interest in participation.

An old guy, about 20 years ago told me to buy her a .22 and shoot some rimfire with her...I ignored him and now wish I had not. Anyway, now she has her own customized .22 rifle, pistol and enjoys shooting two of the ARs. Shooting Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge is less aggressive, and frankly, places everyone on the most equal footing there is in timer based shooting sports. She enjoys that, and the family time it affords. But, I am pretty sure if I stopped shooting, she would not be begging me to go to the range. The data is pretty clear that shooters who start in RFC and SC move on to other sports, become lifelong shooters. Those who start in USPSA, 3Gun are the least likely to continue on shooting long term.

My best advice, which you have already acknowledged, is to let her read this thread, and some of the other threads on starting new shooters and then have a discussion. She will find the path she wants, as opposed to what a bunch of Type A aggressive gun male gun nuts think she should do.

Edited by MarkCO

I would say no matter what you are lucky she shows interest in shooting with you. I myself have 2 daughters and a wife who could care less about shooting sports only time they show interest is in how much something costs. IMO i would go to the range and if possible rent a few production pistols explain each division to her and the pros and cons of each.

As stated above, 22's are great. New shooters need and benefit from 22's. In an attempt to attract new/young shooters, one of our guys has even started having informal Rimfire Steel Challenge-type matches at our club.

In addition to the great ideas listed above, give her the chance to shoot some different guns to see what she likes. Not only that, does she have a "crush" on anything in particular? For me, the 1911 was totally sexy. I thought it was the best gun fighting implement in the world because of all the crap I grew up reading, so that is where I started in USPSA. To me, revolvers and 1911's are still the real guns. Anyway - she will shoot it more if she likes it.

The only other advice I have is to stick with the 9mm because of the affordability and the lack of recoil. It is a great round for what we do, especially if you don't reload.

It really depends on the person, and there is no right answer.

My wife started shooting in Production, and she loved it, and continues to shoot in the division. For her rimfire or steel challenge would not have held her interest. It's not a matter of what she is or is not going to be suited for, or making it easier or harder, it's a matter of what is going to be fun for her.

How much do you think she will practice? One advantage of open is that she doesn't have to learn sight alignment, so if she isn't going to practice a ton then its one less thing to take up practice time and she could work on other things.

I agree with most everything else everyone is saying, but I would probably get a production gun (9mm), probably a polymer one to make it more light weight, but then let her load it all the way up and shoot Limited Minor until she gets her feet wet, and learns some of the fundamentals. Then she could try production where she could potentially become more competitive.

Another jealous guy, my wife goes to the shooting range with me once a year at best, and maybe one match a year to 'watch' but really just to be outside and get some sun...

Thanks for all the responses. We both like having multiple points of view to consider. The Rimfire is out because there aren't many matches around here and it's harder for me to get .22 than it is for me to reload .40. As for which division, Limited minor is still standing out for the ease of stage planning, although she's not against production either. She has shot both of my 9mm Glocks at the range (one of which is my production gun), as well as my Cheely 5" Limited .40. So far she most likes the Limited gun because there is less recoil than any of the other pistols. The ammo she ran through that was loaded to 170 PF with N320. As far as gear, we're starting from scratch as I'm a lefty and she's not, so that is a non-issue as for cost. I'm shooting a match this Saturday and she's going to observe again in order to help her decide.

I would definitely say Limited minor. I have seen too many new shooters in production get frustrated with mag changes. They start shooting an array, move, take two shots then wonder why the gun isn't shooting, look at it and go OH the mag is empty. Reload an repeat until the end of the stage. I have also seen the same thing with new shooters in limited, but they only have to stop and stare at the gun once during a stage.

If your SO likes the 40 at 170pf then load her up some 140pf 40's and she should really like it.

Not in the division you are shooting. Men's egos are too fragile...

What kind of training has she had? Attending a competition shooting class will most likely be better than you trying to teach her. It's a relationship thing not a reflection on your ability to teach. It will also give her a non-competition environment taste of action shooting.

What division or sport is SHE interested in? There are many action shooting sports and she might look really good in chaps... There is such a broad variety of shooting sports that if you remotely like to shoot there is a sport for you. If she likes something different then you can add to your toy collection to play her game.

What does she think of major power factor? My wife always liked factory .40 over 9mm. She said "it's like a real gun". Women have preconceptions of what a gun should shoot like too.

As for guns she might even want to shoot revo. In my area there is a woman who it totally into revo.

The supreme goal is that both of you are enjoying the shooting sports regardless of who is shooting or what game you're playing.

DNH