Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotguns used in 3gun are starting to look ridiculous!

DocMedic

So when I started shooting 3gun. I started out with a FN-SLP MKII, Not a bad shotgun to start out with for 3gun, but a month before my first big 3gun match (RM3G) I played around too much with the lifter and actually somehow made the shotgun inoperable (Thanks ENOS!!!! :roflol: ). There wasn’t time to get it fixed so I just ended up going to the local gun store and buying a Benelli M2 26” a week prior to the match and slapping a Nordic kit on it. Shotgun held 10+1.

After RM3G, I was told my shotgun wasn’t “3gun” enough and that I needed the 21’’ m2 Barrel and needed my bolt worked so I could ghost load, So did that and now my M2 became a 21” M2 With 8+1+1. Next year all the rage was putting “iron sights” on shotguns due to the increase difficulty of slug shots. So I ended up with a set of XS turkey sights on the shotgun.

Year later Load2/4 method became real popular, and I slowly started to gear up for it knowing one day I’d return to TO. This year I started to shoot Tactical 1x since it’s a thing now. What I didn’t realize about Load2, the more popular it becomes, the longer magazine tubes are getting. From this year of shooting TI/TO/HM and Videos of Jesse, I’m starting to see these 21 inch shotgun barrel paired with mag tubes that are 4 to 8 inches longer then the muzzle holding 14+1 rounds(and some cases a foot longer). and iron sights that will rival most rifle BUIS. What the Hell dude!?

So what’s next for the “3gun” shotgun? Some sort of of shell holder that allows you to do a quick “load2” attached to the bottom and in-lined with the loading port of the shotgun? How much more goofy can we make these things look? :ph34r:

Edited by DocMedic

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but on the other hand a few years ago there was a lot of grumbling on how shotguns are dated technology, and they are limited and it is all about left hand dexterity and so on. At least now the platform is changing/advancing and thats not a bad thing, unless you are paying to keep up.

So what’s next for the “3gun” shotgun? Some sort of of shell holder that allows you to do a quick “load2” attached to the bottom and in-lined with the loading port of the shotgun? How much more goofy can we make these things look? :ph34r:

Lol Ive actually already saw that more than once.

Function>form I guess. Its odd that the tactical guys talk shit about my shotgun because it isnt 18" with a pistol grip and heat shield.

No comment about open division?

Oh no my shotguns mag tube is too long... Wait that Open shooter has a 27rd coiled drum affixed to his with a dual comp and a reflex red dot sight... I guess mine doesn't look that weird after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my 21" Benelli with the 10 round RCI tube looks great because it runs and hits where I look.

Love sticking that gun in the rack at the trap range, then sit back and listen as trap guys try to figure it out.

Walked out of a field carrying it after getting skunked on a turkey hunt. Nosy local farmer stopped and asked "what the heck is that gun?" Then asked if I was a cop.

I was shooting the shotgun plate rack at the range I belong to with my MK1919 Tooth&Nail built shotgun testing a 23 round mag. It is a shotgun or pistol only plate rack and bay. They have video cameras and the volunteer safety officer comes flying up to me in his cart and starts screaming that I can't shoot a rifle at the plate rack and they are going to suspend my membership. I calmly told him it was a shotgun, he really didn't believe me until he got a little closer and I unloaded a couple of shells. He had never seen a gun like this. Very nice to me after we talked. Offered to let him shoot it, but he declined.

So even this kind of shotgun looks weird to most.

gerritm

They had that very thing. It mounted to the bottom of the tube, but it only fed you one round at a time. The rounds were held in with a bearing system. You taped it forward and it kicked a shell out into your hand. Someone around here must still have one.

if it looks stupid and it wins, it isn't stupid

But it still looks stupid :)

but still, my browning citori lightning is a beautiful shotgun, but I would feel more ridiculous using it for three gun then a gun I could possibly win with not matter if it looks like it sprouted an antenna or not. :)

It seems to me the design of a 3G shotgun has more to do with rule limitations than functionality.

If the first thing you need to do is improve your times is practice shotgun loading, that ought to tell you something. Like "fixed tubular mags are retarded".

If functionality was king, then there would at least be detachable mag tubes, if not reliable box mag shotguns.

Edited by jtaylor996

It seems to me the design of a 3G shotgun has more to do with rule limitations than functionality.

If the first thing you need to do is improve your times is practice shotgun loading, that ought to tell you something. Like "fixed tubular mags are retarded".

If functionality was king, then there would at least be detachable mag tubes, if not reliable box mag shotguns.

The shotgun portion of 3gun is more about the loading than shooting, IMO. Most everyone can shoot a shotgun at least halfway accurately, not everyone can load fast on the move. The shotgun is the great equalizer in our sport. Those who curse loading tube guns generally suck at it, and pull their skirt on one leg at a time to go play in open. Everyone has those two or three guys/gals at their club that can kill it on rifle and pistol, and then the shotgun knocks them down a few notches on the match results.

My 21" 1301 with a +3 nordic tube catches me all kinds of flack from all my non 3gun buddies (that is, all my buddies) cause the mag is an inch longer than the barrel and apparently that looks stupid. I don't worry about other people's idea of ugly though, I just stomp on them and their camo mossy 500's every time we shoot. Who decides what ugly is anyways?

My 21" 1301 with a +3 nordic tube catches me all kinds of flack from all my non 3gun buddies (that is, all my buddies) cause the mag is an inch longer than the barrel and apparently that looks stupid. I don't worry about other people's idea of ugly though, I just stomp on them and their camo mossy 500's every time we shoot. Who decides what ugly is anyways?

Camo is a lot uglier on a shotgun than most anything we do to them. I run a 12rd tube on my 24" Vinci and the funny looks and questions at the trap club are interesting conversation starters, to say the least.