Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

Does anyone know if the Dawson magwell will work with the factory mags and Dawson extensions? I know others have had good luck with the model 51679 with magwell and the Dawson pads on their factory magazines but mine will not lock all the way in without a very hard smack.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Dawson magwell and I did not fit. The Dawson extensions work with the factory magwell with some minor modification. My 9mm gun only took minor fitting but my 40 cal took much more fitting. I ended up opening up the magwell and blending it to the frame and still had to remove some metal from the extensions.

Which areas of the base pads did you have to remove? I have made one to where it will lock in the gun but it will no longer drop free. It appears that either the magwell on the gun or the mag catch are not straight in line with the rest of the pistol.

Has anyone done a trigger job on their RIA hi cap using the factory trigger group parts. I plan to have a local gunnsmith work on both my guns to get the trigger under 3lbs and wondered if I need to replace the internals when I do this. I have cleaned up the factory triggers and they are now about 4lbs and are very reliable.

Has anyone done a trigger job on their RIA hi cap using the factory trigger group parts. I plan to have a local gunnsmith work on both my guns to get the trigger under 3lbs and wondered if I need to replace the internals when I do this. I have cleaned up the factory triggers and they are now about 4lbs and are very reliable.

I plan to. I purchased a Harrison Design TR Pro sear jig. However, I want to wait until I have a trigger pull gauge so I can measure before and after to see what improvement I make using all stock parts. The trigger is pretty good already.

I picked up my new 9mm Tac Ultra FS HC model 51679, this is the double stack with full rail and mag well, on Thursday. I'm very pleased with the pistol, it has the new ramped barrel, slide to frame fit is excellent, as is the barrel lock up. The trigger was much better than I was expecting based on others reviews, some creep no over travel and fairly light, around 4#s. .

For mags I tried using Mecgar Para mags with the Dawson 140mm base plates and Dawson modified Arredondo inserts. These dd not allow me to get more than 16 rounds in the magazine. I also tried the same set up with Arredondo springs and followers, that allowed me to get 20 rounds in the magazine, however they do not lock the slide back after the last round like the factory mag. I'd really like the slide to lock back when empty and still get 20 rounds in a 140mm magazine. I may order an STI mag to see if that will do the trick, unless someone else has a better suggestion?

I made a few minor modifications before firing, the extractor had to much tennson on it so I adjusted that as well as radiused the extractor hook slightly. The breech face and feed ramp were both fairly rough so I polished them both lightly. Then I took it out and shot it today. Accuracy was outstanding, as good as any other 1911 I have owned, including SIg, S&W, Kimbers and Springfields. It was 100% reliable for the 100 rounds of WWB I put through it. However ejection was a bit week with most brass landing within 2-4' of me. It may well be over sprung, or just need some more rounds for break in. I'll likely order a few diferent springs to try out and possibly a new extractor, just because I like having spares.

The factory magazine that came with my gun had a plastic base pad, not metal as others have posted. Perhaps that is the base pad advanced tactical is selling? It looks like the new ones at least are plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

My Rock Ultra is ready to run now.

I finally got the magazines worked out so they don't lock back with rounds in the mag. This was done with a combination of slide stop change and making sure the rounds are at the back of the magazine. Did the 'ole smack on the palm and no problems. Also loaded them with an Uplula... that might have something to do with it too...

The front site is now Dawson (0.100) and the trigger is C&S 3.5lbs. Almost dropped right in. Needed to fit the hammer a bit as the original hammer strut pin was too wide and needed to file off some material after getting it in.

Shaved weight by having some material removed from under the grips and is just under the weight limit for IDPA.

Changed the FLGR and dropped in a 14# spring. Debating on going lower, but want to get some more trigger time in first.

Lastly, changed the mag release springs and now it feels like butter.

Just need to ditch the factory thumb safety as it cuts up my thumb. Too narrow and sharp edges.

Debating on Cerakoting....

Edited by bigdawgbeav

• 1 month later...

Just installed a EGW ignition kit in my 9mm Tac Ultra and it really improved the trigger. It was easy to fit and the pull is about 3lbs. Much crisper than the stock parts. I may work with it to try to get it to 2.5lbs but it feels good now.

• 5 weeks later...

Drank the kool aid and ordered the 51679 today, switching from an M&P. It should be here for the weekend range trip.

I did too, and it taste good. I ordered the .40 Ultra Match ( 51738 ) and took it to the range on Monday. I shot about 80 rounds of hand loads (180 Bayou over HS-6) without a hitch. The trigger as delivered was right at 4lbs but now sits at just over 3 after some use. I'm very please so far and have since added 2 more mags from Greg Cote, Dawson base pads, and Grams springs/followers. I get 21 rounds reloadable and they hand cycle fine but will get to the range again soon test them out. I have noticed the follower ends up slightly tilted and does not activate the slide stop, but if I push it down and let it rise without a round in the mag it comes to rest in the correct position. A Dawson front sight should be here soon as well. The Blade-Tech holster for a STI Edge works once I loosened the retention screws, but I don't think it is a great fit. This is my first 1911 and I'm very pleased so far. I'm just a 40 year old beginner when it comes to competition, so those with more experience may feel differently.

I am glad to see that most shooters that made the move to Rock Island has been pleased. The guns can not be beat for the money and also glad to hear that the 9mm is now ramped. They are not the best finished guns , but they will run will the other big names and are just as accurate, if not more. Told you that they were good guns !

I shortened my frame to meet the idea required dimension. I also had to go to an aluminum guide rod and remove material under the grip to reduce the weight. ESP rules allow frame modifications but do not allow slide lightening cuts.

I have to start looking for mags soon. Also an almost 40 (39) year old competition beginner. I am curious what made you want to change the front sight so soon? I get mine Wednesday so haven't got to look at it yet.

The fiber optic appears to be .125 wide and it is very dull. I have a .100 wide Dawson on my Wather PPQ and like it very much. I could have ordered a replacement fiber elements for about $15, but instead I just ordered the .100 wide and .180 tall Dawson for $39.