Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade Aluminum holster rig mount

drewbeck

I was having a lot of flex and movement in my DOH and couldn't find a better solution so I decided to make one from some aluminum. It ended up being really comfy all day and the design lets me change offset, angle, drop, and keep the gun rock solid. I was also getting a lot of flex in the safariland mag pouches so I made some aluminum ones for them as well. It was all done with hand tools and a drill press but the project is making me want a mill now to fab up all kinds of goodness! gy3egypy.jpg4a9a9a8a.jpgabejepur.jpgabydy8uz.jpg

I still need to final sand and polish them and may have them anodized locally but I thought I would share if anyone else is having issues with theirs.

Edited by drewbeck

Awesome. I bought some flat AL stock to do something like this but ended up with a BOSS hanger because I want to use it in a less open minded division. I'd still like to do something with it and those mag pouch mounts look like just the thing.

I agree, it makes me really want to finish my mill to work on some gear for my belt.

They were a fun project, the holster mount cost was probably 2 or 3 bucks. If you can find a place that sells scrap they will have all types of small pieces to buy. If you buy longer sticks from Home Depot or somewhere similar you usually have to buy too much for one mount. I have extra now and a couple more designs I want to try. The best part is how much more room there is between the gun and belt without all the bulk plastic material. It's also so much stiffer and solid feeling than the plastic.

• 5 years later...

I started off much the same as you with and idea that I wanted something better and more sturdy than anything else on the market and for a much more reasonable price.  Started off with some aluminum and hardware.  It has evolved through a few iterations but I still run a couple of the early designs with no issue.

444051310_IMG_3404(1).JPG.6f171bf0f98c72557b427e833b4fd627.JPG

I saw those on eBay 

what’s the difference between the regular and short, well other than being shorter as far as holster set up

does the short  allow for the front strap be to below the top of the belt?

thanks in advance

Holy Necropost batman!

:DI designed the original BOSS holster hanger in 2013 (with testing and input from Stoeger).  Turned out to be way more popular than I expected.

Next iteration would be to make the holster to belt mount with a thumb screw or some sort of latch so you can easily take the holster off the belt.  I bought the Double Alpha mod for that and it sure makes storing the belt and holster easier in the range bag.  But, Double Alpha screwed up by making the thumb screw way too small making it difficult to get it started in the hole sometimes.  I'd go with a 1/4-20 bolt and a 1" dia thumb screw if I were designing it!  One of these days....

Limcat has a nice thumbscrew belt mount for their race holster.  Most Boss have screw patterns to bolt ELS forks and Tec-lok and such instead of the belt loop.  That's an easy mod for quick-attach and release.

12 hours ago, shred said:

Holy Necropost batman!

:DI designed the original BOSS holster hanger in 2013 (with testing and input from Stoeger).  Turned out to be way more popular than I expected.

The real BOSS looks nice, not like the knockoffs you see that look like they were hacked out with a chain saw. 

I took aandabooks hangers, which are well made in my opinion(I have a mill and a lathe and it's cheaper to buy his because they are good quality) and combined them with Ghost holsters to come up with a very secure holster that doesn't allow my open guns to sag and never come lose.

Hybrid holster.jpg

Hybrid4.jpg

How about someone making and selling a delrin pad for the back side of the holsters?  I made this one probably 15-20 years ago for a Limcat holster when they first came out.  Works great on the Boss hanger too.  It's about 2-1/2" in dameter and hollowed out on the back side.  So very comfortable and light.

IMG_0918.jpg

Edited by ltdmstr